Car won't start.....battery flat.... Cold weather?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Elliott123
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
With a: DSG box

Car won't start.....battery flat.... Cold weather?

Post by Elliott123 »

Hi everyone, I am experiencing a problem :( . I went to start the car up today and the lights were flickering when I tried to start the engine. So I guessed the battery was flat. The RAC guy came and jumped the car, it started and he checked that it was all okay. I drove for an hour and went to park it. I came back and tried to start it again and the car didnt start!!! As I was driving my RNS lights wern't on and the MFSW controls didnt work? I also noticed that as I went to park the car the RNS didnt turn off with the ignition removed so I switched it off manually. The Battery is 2 years old and I dont drive too much. I was wondering if it was the cold weather that triggered this fault. I'll Just have to wait until Monday and take it to the dealers to diagnose what might be causing this battery drain... :cry:
Elliott123

Re: Car won't start.....battery flat.... Cold weather?

Post by Elliott123 »

The RAC man came as I went back to my car. Someone had kicked my driver side mirror off :cry: . Talk about bad luck ehh :(
juniorbanks
In: Rising Blue

Post by juniorbanks »

Hey Elliott,

Had a similar thing a few months back. Drove the car to a shopping centre all ok came back out and the car refused to start and simply flashed the canbus lights at me. The AA came out but couldn't find any drain on the battery and the battery was rated as good condition, did the same took it for the long drive and 2 days later, flat again! So called the AA this time the battery condition was poor and the guy said its likely down to a bad fuel cell in the battery! I had no choice but to use their battery as I was in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday night so £100 later and now she is all good again! Had issues with all my electrics in that 2 day period but after the new battery all was restored!

Not sure what the warranty is on the battery if indeed there even is one, I sadly had no choice but on a plus got a better battery from it!
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

Has the RNS been turning off ok in the past ?, have you been going in and out of the car alot without starting it ?.
Elliott123

Post by Elliott123 »

Thanks for the reply guys. Once the second RAC man charged the battery the RNS was all okay, the mfsw buttons were working so I don't think theres anything wrong. As for the battery I'm going to VW on Monday and will tell them it might be a bad fuel cell as Juniorbanks said.
The thing I'm annoyed about is my driver side wing mirror, someone kicked it off in the 10 minutes I was away from my car to get some food... The Rac man came and inspected the damage and due to the metal bracket being broken he said someone had kicked the mirror off. We had to get the mirror off so we disconnected the wires from the mirror carefully. It wasn't a car that hit the mirror because the driver side door was on the side of the pavement. Lucky there is not a lot of paint damage or dents on the door just a scuff that will buff out. the Viper green is really hard to colour match. But I had carbon mirror caps and the whole wing mirror is gone.
I might be thinking to retro fit electric folding mirrors.. any suggestions?
:( Once again thanks.
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

Not driven mine for 6 weeks now! Hope it starts up when I bring it back out to play next weekend!
Elliott123

Unknown Battery Drain

Post by Elliott123 »

Hi guys, today I went to the Vw servicing department in hampsted London, because recently I have been experiencing problems with the car.
On Friday I had a flat battery, I called the RAC man to charge up the battery so I could go out. He said that the cold weather was the cause of the problem, and that driving for an hour will charge up the battery. So I drove up into town that night which is over an hours drive. When I got back to the car after leaving it for about an hour the car battery was flat once again!
I spoke to VW today telling them the story and they took it in for testing. They said that it was a problem with the sound system that is in my car.
I have a JL Audio amp and a W7 connected to a 1 farad capacitor. I have had this setup since I had the car. Which is near 2 years. I have never experienced a problem with power drain before.
Now as I took the car out from Vw, (they had the battery on charge and took out the radio fuse) the car still didnt start. I said there was another guy on the forum who had the same problem and it was due to a dead fuel cell in the battery. The Vw guy said no the battery is fine. They jumped it once again and I took the car home. Vw want me to disconnect the amp and all before the investigate further. Fair enough. I am gonna disconnect it. And also tonight I got the battery hooked up to the C-tek charger overnight to see if it is the radio that's causing the drain.

Any suggestions on this matter are welcome...
Many thanks
Last edited by RW1 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged. Still the same topic query.
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

Chungster wrote:Not driven mine for 6 weeks now! Hope it starts up when I bring it back out to play next weekend!
Started up first time no probs. :)
juniorbanks
In: Rising Blue

Post by juniorbanks »

Chungster wrote:Started up first time no probs.
Chungster just totally ignores the thread and continues in his own little world .. good work though mate !! haha :yes:

Elliott:
When the RAC come out do they check for power drain? The AA did with mine and initially there was a reasonable drain but within a couple of minutes it went to 0.0 as all the electronics shut off. When i described the symptoms to the next AA guy when it happened 2 days later he said it was a faulty fuel cell within the battery. I have since spoken to other people in the know about this and they all agree its "just one of those things" .. bad luck i guess. Sounds like VW saw the AMP and didn't even try to fault find. Why don't they test for power drain, then disconnect if it exists !!
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

What is the difference between a fuel cell and a battery?

Fuel cells and batteries are similar because they use a chemical reaction to provide electricity.

A battery stores the chemical reactants, usually metal compounds like lithium, zinc or manganese. Once used up, you must recharge or throw away the battery.

A fuel cell actually creates electricity through reactants (hydrogen and oxygen) stored externally. The fuel cell will produce electricity as long as it has a fuel supply. In short, a fuel cell vehicle is refueled instead of recharged.
Car batteries are usually lead-acid type, and are made of six galvanic cells in series to provide a 12 volt system
Usually refered to battery "cell" or "cells".

C.

What ever next... flying Skyrockets and Space Shuttles??? :D
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!