Problem after problem with my Roc (electrical & general)

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
JAM35 X
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensors, Parrot Hands-Free Kit, Rear Tinted Windows, Flat Tyre Indicator, Luxury Car Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Chrome Exhaust Tips.

Problem after problem with my Roc (electrical & general)

Post by JAM35 X »

Hi everyone,

I received my Scirocco late last year and had quite a few little problems with it, nothing majorly serious except for one!

The story goes like this;

Within the first couple of weeks of having it the ACC (sport/comfort button) start flashing on start up, I turned the engine off at the next junction and turned it back on, and it went away, I spoke to my local VW dealer and they said to keep an eye on it.

Then, I came out one morning, after a particularly windy and rainy night and find that my drivers window (note only the drivers - so I couldn't have caught the button in my pocket) managed to drop all the way down during the middle of the night, which I know for a fact wasn't "left open by mistake" because several people came over to look at my car that night and didn't get in so would have noticed the window down.

I took the car in for them to have a look at, as the interior was absolutely soaking! And obviously to check if there are any electrical faults etc and to see why it dropped in the first place, and they said all was fine and nothing was a problem.

A week later, I had locked my car, came back out of the house and opened it up, sat inside and the drivers window didnt come back up after it had dropped. So i got out, locked again, and nothing happened, it just stayed down by about an inch, so got back in, turned the engine on and tried to bring the window up, nothing, eventually I tried to wind the window down and then back up and after that it seemed fine.

Another little thing which I don't know if is normal; the passenger door sometime has to be opened by pressing the open button on the fob up to 7 or 8 times! sometimes it opens when pressing once and sometimes not at all for ages.

And finally, again do not know if this is normal or not, but I got out of the car and from the front grill the fan was making huge amounts of noise, as if it was a vacuum cleaner, it is the first time I have heard this from any car, however it is my first diesel, so didn't know if this was to be expected or could be a problem.

Also the ACC button (sport/comfort) has started flashing again, it has done it 3 times now, however not consistently 2 days in a row, but it is consistent in the fact it only does it when starting up the engine in the morning.

I have got it booked in for a thorough going over in a couple of weeks, as it is still under warranty, however, wanted to get peoples opinions before they send it back and say "nothings a problem, we plugged it into the computer and found no faults", any ideas or any previous experiences from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

James
Danscirocco
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White

Re: Problem after problem with my Roc (electrical & general)

Post by Danscirocco »

Sorry to hear about your probs. Ive had different problems and like you dont expect in a 20k VW.. ALl i can suggest and what i did, was to get some compensation out of the dealer, for the inconvenience and the Humiliation. I managed to get a free service and an extra years warranty, but mine was engine problems, and i have one year left on my factory warranty, so i was losing confidence in the car (something you should repeat to them)
http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 25&t=10329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope this helps.

Dan
JAM35 X
Options: Parking Sensors, Parrot Hands-Free Kit, Rear Tinted Windows, Flat Tyre Indicator, Luxury Car Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Chrome Exhaust Tips.

Post by JAM35 X »

Danscirocco wrote:Sorry to hear about your probs. Ive had different problems and like you dont expect in a 20k VW.. ALl i can suggest and what i did, was to get some compensation out of the dealer, for the inconvenience and the Humiliation. I managed to get a free service and an extra years warranty, but mine was engine problems, and i have one year left on my factory warranty, so i was losing confidence in the car (something you should repeat to them)
http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 25&t=10329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope this helps.

Dan
Thanks for the advice, if they pick up nothing again, then I will be sure to probe for peace of mind.. however as the car is only 1 year old (ex-demo) and I bought it with 5k on the clock (now done 7.5k) I cannot see them extending the warranty for a year old top of the 2 still outstanding :/

James
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

I had the flashing ACC (DCC for those not in the UK) button last winter in my first Roc, which was 18 months old. It happened initially only in the coldest days of winter, then it became more frequent. Fault codes did log and they replaced a module. Hasn't happened on the new one so far.....but it's only 6 months old - maybe next winter?

Fan running for a while after you stop the car is normal, all cars do this if they're quite hot when you switch off the engine - nothing to worry about. I wouldn't expect it to be on for more than 5 mins or so after you leave the car though.

People have had window problems, with them dropping randomly and have had a new ignition switch put in, but it hasn't happened to me.

The car is set up for 1 fob press to open the drivers door and 2 quick clicks to open both doors. You can change this in the convenience menu if you have GT spec or multifunction steering wheel (if you didn't go GT) so that 1 button press opens all doors. If you don't have GT or multifunction steering wheel then VAGCOM can make these changes.

If you park your car on the road, or even in a driveway, the dropping of windows is quite a security worry (and that's without it happening when you leave it parked somewhere). I would not be fobbed off on the windowws dropping scenario. I doubt your insurance would pay out if the interior of your car was vandalised or your RCD unit got twoced because someone managed to get into the car unaided, as if you hadn't locked it.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
JAM35 X

Post by JAM35 X »

maisbitt wrote:I had the flashing ACC (DCC for those not in the UK) button last winter in my first Roc, which was 18 months old. It happened initially only in the coldest days of winter, then it became more frequent. Fault codes did log and they replaced a module. Hasn't happened on the new one so far.....but it's only 6 months old - maybe next winter?

Fan running for a while after you stop the car is normal, all cars do this if they're quite hot when you switch off the engine - nothing to worry about. I wouldn't expect it to be on for more than 5 mins or so after you leave the car though.

People have had window problems, with them dropping randomly and have had a new ignition switch put in, but it hasn't happened to me.

The car is set up for 1 fob press to open the drivers door and 2 quick clicks to open both doors. You can change this in the convenience menu if you have GT spec or multifunction steering wheel (if you didn't go GT) so that 1 button press opens all doors. If you don't have GT or multifunction steering wheel then VAGCOM can make these changes.

If you park your car on the road, or even in a driveway, the dropping of windows is quite a security worry (and that's without it happening when you leave it parked somewhere). I would not be fobbed off on the windowws dropping scenario. I doubt your insurance would pay out if the interior of your car was vandalised or your RCD unit got twoced because someone managed to get into the car unaided, as if you hadn't locked it.
Thanks for the advice! and that's exactly what I thought in regards to the windows dropping..however it has only happened once, and from what I have read on the internet it only happens in heavy rain, however this doesn't help me much if I park it up in an airport car park and it stays down for up to 2 weeks! They said to keep an eye on it and if it happens again then to let them know..

James
Danscirocco
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

Post by Danscirocco »

just thought

do you know if you hold down the unlock key (few seconds) the windows will come down, when you are outside of car. Maybe you accidently had button pressed?
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Danscirocco:

If the buttons had been accidentally held down, both windows would drop, not one - this is definitely caused by a fault with the car.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
JAM35 X

Post by JAM35 X »

maisbitt wrote:Danscirocco:

If the buttons had been accidentally held down, both windows would drop, not one - this is definitely caused by a fault with the car.
That's what I said to the VW dealer who sold it to me, because that is what they said probably happened and then locked itself again (the car was locked when I came to it in the morning but just the drivers window open) but obviously only one dropped :?

James
JAM35 X

Post by JAM35 X »

Just a quick update; car been in with the dealer for a day now, they've found a fault to do with the ACC/DCC but no other faults, they're just going to go over everything else this morning to see if anything else is wrong.

In the mean time I'm driving the new golf as a courtesy car, if is possibly the slowest car I have had the please of driving, not sure what engine it is except that it's petrol and that a standard pug 205 completely destroyed me when getting on a dual carriageway slip road, needless to say I can't wait to get the scirocco back!

James
JAM35 X

Post by JAM35 X »

Another update:

They have been in touch with VW in Germany, and are trying to find the best possible solution.

James
sparki
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: Leather and Lows...

Post by sparki »

Hope you get it sorted.

The only issue I get out of your list is the passenger door thingy.

Sometimes it unlocks first time others I have to keep pressing and pressing the key for it to open, so much so I have got into a habit of when I sit in the car I press the unlock button on the door itself so the mrs does not shout at me for leaving her in the cold. Stupid bloody thing.
JAM35 X

Post by JAM35 X »

sparki wrote:Hope you get it sorted.

The only issue I get out of your list is the passenger door thingy.

Sometimes it unlocks first time others I have to keep pressing and pressing the key for it to open, so much so I have got into a habit of when I sit in the car I press the unlock button on the door itself so the mrs does not shout at me for leaving her in the cold. Stupid bloody thing.
Thanks.

Ah, not thought of that, I have exactly the same problem! haha, but at least I know it is not just me, they dismissed that as being "not a problem" when I mentioned it when I spoke to them yesterday.

James
JAM35 X

Post by JAM35 X »

Turns out that it required a software update!

All clear on the ACC/DCC at the moment, however got to keep an eye on the windows etc..

However I did get a free clean, inside & out :) so I am one happy Scirocco owner now :)

James.