SDCard for RCD510

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
mrocean
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic sunroof

SDCard for RCD510

Post by mrocean »

Has anyone found the best type of SDCard for the RCD510 in the Roc...

I've checked out Amazon...20 tillion varieties...loads of brands....standard...extreme I, II, III...SD or SDHC...silly amounts of types...even ones for just cameras...I just dont know which one would be best...

I was thinking 2-4GB would suit my needs...perhaps a couple of them with different moods...one uplifting and another chilled...

So...what did everyone else go for, tested and/or liked...whats the best fit for the Roc...from what seams to be a huge amount of choice?
rehmondo
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Re: SDCard for RCD510

Post by rehmondo »

I went for an 8GB Sandisk Ultra 2, got it from eBay for around £12 inc P+P. It works well for me 4GB's worth of Dance/Trance music and 4GB's worth of everything else - not my entire music collection but just what I need.

Just make sure that your home pc can support SDHC otherwise you might need to buy an additional reader - only £2 on eBay but still worth mentioning in case you don't have one already.

More discussion can be found here... http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... ?f=2&t=570
easybreeze
Options: Parking Sensors
Smokers Pack

Post by easybreeze »

rehmondo wrote:Just make sure that your home pc can support SDHC otherwise you might need to buy an additional reader - only £2 on eBay but still worth mentioning in case you don't have one already.
Very good point - you'll probably need the USB adaptor for the PC to see it :yes:
Arrived 23rd March '09 - Lovin' it
thedavidgreen

Post by thedavidgreen »

Do you have to format the card in a particular way at all before using it in the stereo - or does it just work straight out of the box?

Also has anyone tried a 32GB card yet?
easybreeze
Smokers Pack

Post by easybreeze »

it has to be FAT32
ken
Options: Leather, winter pack, Dynaudio, cruise, reverse parking sensors, flat tyre warning, elec mirrors, sill protect, lowered -35mm and white grill mod. 19" x 8.5 matt black wheels with 245 x 35 x 19 Dunlop Maxx GT and matt black roof. Full front Paintshield protection.

Post by ken »

Advice please. I have the sat nav RNS 510 head unit. I have a Creative Zen V Plus mp3 player but no matter how I connect to the car it is not recognised. I've even bought the mini usb connector from VW and used jack plugs to no avail. I though about buying an ipod but reading posts on here I see that the ipod is not charging when used in the car - not clever. I have now ordered a 16 gig USB stick as this seems the best option (SD cards also apparently not recognised by RNS units. My question is what do I have to do to the USB stick before I try to load music files onto it that will play in the unit - any help as detailed as possible will be very much appreciated as this is a new area for me and so far it has not gone very well.
Thanks in advance
Ken
easybreeze
Smokers Pack

Post by easybreeze »

I formatted mine to FAT32 then just sync'd it in Media player!
My folder structure is pretty spot on tho - there is an option in Media Player which will do that for you (can't remember it now) - so every artist has one folder which contains their albums in individual sub folders - - Think I just confused myself :?

I just need my car now - maybe it won't work :fall: - But from my reading, I'm sure it will
albertz33
In: Viper Green
Options: dab radio, dynaudio speakers

Post by albertz33 »

easybreeze wrote:I formatted mine to FAT32 then just sync'd it in Media player!
My folder structure is pretty spot on tho - there is an option in Media Player which will do that for you (can't remember it now) - so every artist has one folder which contains their albums in individual sub folders - - Think I just confused myself :?

I just need my car now - maybe it won't work :fall: - But from my reading, I'm sure it will
You've been waiting a while now easybreeze?
ken
Options: Leather, winter pack, Dynaudio, cruise, reverse parking sensors, flat tyre warning, elec mirrors, sill protect, lowered -35mm and white grill mod. 19" x 8.5 matt black wheels with 245 x 35 x 19 Dunlop Maxx GT and matt black roof. Full front Paintshield protection.

Post by ken »

[quote="easybreeze"]I formatted mine to FAT32 then just sync'd it in Media player!

Easybreeze

How do you format it to FAT32 (whatever that is) - please excuse my ignorance
Thanks
Ken
easybreeze
Smokers Pack

Post by easybreeze »

albertz33 wrote:You've been waiting a while now easybreeze?
Feels like it, I ordered a TDI in November, then changed to the TSI on the 8th December... the lease company finally ordered it on the 8th of January...
...So yeah, been waiting a while, not the same as some people tho :shrug:

Can't wait :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

To format the stick, plug it in the PC, right click it in Explorer (Windows) and select 'Format', then you set File System as FAT32... probably come like that anyway, but just in case :yummy:
alex

Post by alex »

Just a tip: to make it less clumsy choosing songs inside the car I would recommend you to just throw all the mp3's in the same folder. If you organize the songs in tons of subfolders its gonna be a pain in the ass when you are driving. That's the experience I got while driving my moms mk6 Golf atleast.. :shrug:
ken

Post by ken »

16 gb scandisk flash drive arrived this morning from Amazon - £15 and a bit - was formatted as FAT32 - copied one album and just tried it - fantastic. Now copying all the mp3 files into the documents - music folder. Thanks for all the help and advice - don't you just love Alma Cogan ! ! ! ........... :hyper:
jim68585
In: Rising Blue
Options: Xenons, Pan roof, Leather, Winter pack, DVD/NAV, Parking sensors, Custom mats, Parrot 3100, premium sills, alloy pedals, luggage tray.

Post by jim68585 »

That's interesting as the handbook states clearly that the headunit will only accept 2Gb cards or less, and specifically says it won't work with SDHC cards! maybe it needs a bit of updating? :?

Or at least that's the case for the RNS510 Sat nav unit - maybe the non-satnav has a better audio spec?
2.0 TSI GT, DSG, Rising Blue, Xenons, Pan roof, Leather, Winter pack, DVD/NAV, Parking sensors, Folding mirrors, Custom mats, Parrot 3100, premium sills, alloy pedals, boot liner, LifeShine.
rehmondo
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

I don't think anyone proof read it properly.
solaris
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Sumatra
Options: Black Rear windows, RCD 510, Wheel pressure monitor

Post by solaris »

This is a video I made to show you how 2Gb and 8Gb work... The 2Gb is Extreme III and 8Gb is SDHC
As you can see.... the 8Gb card is a little bit slower at the beginning (reading the index) but later is as fast as 2Gb
I'll try to find a 16Gb and 32gb SD Cards to test them...

silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

My 2gb takes about as long as your 8gb to initialise and it is nowhere near full yet. Once initialised though it operates just as quick as yours.
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!
solaris
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Sumatra
Options: Black Rear windows, RCD 510, Wheel pressure monitor

Post by solaris »

silver130 wrote:My 2gb takes about as long as your 8gb to initialise and it is nowhere near full yet. Once initialised though it operates just as quick as yours.
As you can see... my 2Gb SD card is NOT a standard one... It is Extreme III which is slightly faster.... Also...you have to keep everything in order inside the card.... try not to have too many folders in the root of the card...
silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

solaris wrote:
silver130 wrote:My 2gb takes about as long as your 8gb to initialise and it is nowhere near full yet. Once initialised though it operates just as quick as yours.
As you can see... my 2Gb SD card is NOT a standard one... It is Extreme III which is slightly faster.... Also...you have to keep everything in order inside the card.... try not to have too many folders in the root of the card...
Thanks I will try this. :yes: :yes: :yes:
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!
thebeast1234
In: Deep Black
Options: Electric adjust drivers seat, rear sensors, sat nav, leather.

Post by thebeast1234 »

Help! My Scirocco has the RNS510 with SatNav, I have recently purchased a DANE-ELEC 8GB SDHC card and put mp3's on there organised in the standard folder structure, Artist,Album, tracks. When I put it in the RNS510 slot and select Media it says 'SD Card Error', could it be that there is a difference between the sat-nav 510 and the standard 6-disc.
Can anyone confirm they have used 8Gb cards or SDHC cards in the RNS510 sat-nav ubit please.???!!!!!
startide
In: Deep Black

Post by startide »

thebeast1234 wrote:Help! My Scirocco has the RNS510 with SatNav, I have recently purchased a DANE-ELEC 8GB SDHC card and put mp3's on there organised in the standard folder structure, Artist,Album, tracks. When I put it in the RNS510 slot and select Media it says 'SD Card Error', could it be that there is a difference between the sat-nav 510 and the standard 6-disc.
Can anyone confirm they have used 8Gb cards or SDHC cards in the RNS510 sat-nav ubit please.???!!!!!
As has been mentioned in other threads, the RNS doesn't support SDHC cards whereas the RCD does.