Air filter bump stop service

Everything about the R for potential owners.
OldPOP
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Air filter bump stop service

Post by OldPOP »

its listed on the 20,000 mile service for the R but can someone explain what this is or even better post a picture please
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: Air filter bump stop service

Post by RW1 »

This is what they are, rubber pop-in sockets that sit in the engine cover on the underside face of the cover. There are 4 of them. They hold the engine cover/airfilter housing onto mounting studs on the top of the engine.
Scirocco R Airfilter Bump Stops - 4 off.JPG
Warning: Each time you lift off the cover, they must be renewed according to VW. That is what drives the dealer doing the service of the air filter replacement to replace them.

Item 5 above, part number 036 129 689B
(I hope they are not as expensive as the 1.4TSi engine cover mounting buffers - £5.50 each.)

C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
snapey
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box

Re: Air filter bump stop service

Post by snapey »

I had the engine cover on my former MK5 GTI off fairly constantly and the rubber mounts never showed any form of damage or signs of perishing. Just make sure once you remove the cover that you apply some silicone grease to each mount for future removal.