DSG Mechatronic Issues

Everything about the R for potential owners.
southerndonkey
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather
19" Wheels
Panoramic Roof
RNS510 DVD Navigation
Cruise Control
Folding Mirrors
Reversing Sensors

DSG Mechatronic Issues

Post by southerndonkey »

Firstly, a big hello to all on the forum :)

I am seriously looking into getting a Roc R - am looking at a DSG equipped one with registration mileage this weekend. Looking around the forums and VW websites it seems there has been a lot of problems with the mechatronic units in the DSG boxes but it mostly seems to affect 07-09 models. Have the problems been ironed out in later models and also is what are peoples experiences with DSG equipped Roc R especially if you've got a vehicle with a few miles on the clock?

Strat
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: This and that.

Re: DSG Mechatronic Issues

Post by Strat »

Get a manual and:

a) rid yourself of the worry

b) have more driving involvement

c) save a wedge of cash

Simples!

Other than that, i have no useful info on the issue... :( sorry
Rolling Deep...
bianco
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: All except sunroof, ACC, Dynaudio & rear seats. Lowered a bit for the looks :-)

Post by bianco »

DSG has been produced by the millions for all VAG group cars.
As far as I know, the few that had problems, has had the mechatronic replaced under warranty.

And very few that have tried DSG has gone back to manual ;)
sb272
Options: Leather, Pano roof, folding mirrors, RNS-MDI, bluetooth, 19s, reversing cam

Post by sb272 »

I have an R with DSG and love it to bits.

Its nothing like a regular auto box, which I dislike.

When you're feelign lazy or just on the usual commute then leave it in auto and let it get on with things.

If you want a bit of quick involvement, or know you're coming up to a bend or r'bout and want to be in an appropriate gear for the exit then just flick the down paddle a few times. once through the bend you can change up and after a bit the box reverts to auto mode.

If you want all the involvement of a manual then you can force the box to hold itself in the currently selected gear. In this mode it will only change if you reach the rev limiter or are about to stall the engine. And if you want the same involvement as using the stick then you can keep taking your hand off the wheel and pushing the stick forward and back to change gear - handy too if paddles aren't your cup of tea. In this mode it is exactly the same as driving a manual expect that you can't skip gears (bad practise IMO anyway).

I'm not such a fan of the sport mode but that ensure that you are always in the power band (ie over 3000rpm) for what ever speed you're doing and will not change up until the red line is reach when accelerating at full throttle.

Another benefit is a faster car. te 0-60 is a couple of tenths quicker but the real gains appear to be in higher gears.

I asked an R owner with Superchips map installed (allegadly 300bhp) and manual box to time his car from 30-80 in 4th gear. Several runs were done and the average was a second slower than my standard car with DSG. We ensured that the weights of the occupants and fuel load and DSG weight penalty were taken into consideration so the cars were running the same weight.

In spite of the manual car's extra power/torque it couldn't match my std DSG R. We compared gear ratios and at 3000rpm my DSG in 4th gear is doing about 47mp, but the manual box is 50mph in 4th. I'm tryign to find a source for the gear ratios and final drive to poperly compare the manual and DSG boxes but haven't found it yet.

So it just goes to show how important a decent set of gear ratios are for performance! Unless of course my car has been chipped with a better map than the Superchips one - but my car sold to me as std.

If you're getting a delv mileage car then you will have three years of warranty for any issues to surface and get resolved for free (providing you don't chip the car or do anythign else to potentially void the warranty. Although I have heard of people getting DSG box warranty work done even though the car has been modified. I guess that will be down to the dealership you use and your relationship with them.
langley182
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

DSG Mechatronic Issues

Post by langley182 »

Couldn't agree more sb! Had an issue with mechatronics at first, got resolved straight away. Fine since.
Love the dsg for every reason u stated above.

Anyone who slags it without trying it is making a highly uninformed decision.
goldingdavid
Options: Sat Nav, Leather Seats, Reversing Sensors, phone prep, 19" alloys

Post by goldingdavid »

Hey, I swapped out my maunal Roc GT for a R DSG. I was a manual Driver through and through. When I got My R there wasnt many available and skeptically went for the DSG without even test driving one b4 or even seeing my R beforehand. I havent looked back Its far better than I could have ever imagined. And as already said you can have much fun with the paddles or the stick if desired and Sport Mode Is There and Is how to put it... More of a Mental Mode. For years I slated Automatics But this One... I love it. Mine isnt in the years you mentioned but just to add I havent experienced any problems.. You may find yourself going round corners at speeds other cars would simply have crashed. The DSG is Amazing, the car is Amazing you wont be disapponted. Except for sunday drivers gettin in your way.
sb272
Options: Leather, Pano roof, folding mirrors, RNS-MDI, bluetooth, 19s, reversing cam

Post by sb272 »

The only possible complaint I have with DSG is that it sometimes doesn select a gear when the car is rollign very slowly. Eg I've just backed out of a car park space and then selected Drive and started to move forward then taken my foot off the throttle so it is just rolling at 5mph. At this poin it has selected 2nd. Sometimes when I press the throttle it will rev up and I have to lift off, sometimes it will rev up to 1500rpm as though it is slippig the clutch, then all will be fine.

Perhaps I have a mechatonics issue on the way, but I still love it!

Anther side benefit is the mpg it returns, as long as you don't leave it in manual or sport modes. it will change up very quickly to a high gear - mcuh faster than you would with a manual box, so getting you the economy.

The kick down is also nice. Give it quite a lot of throttle and it will kick down, press full throttle and it will keep in that gear, but if you pre4ss a bit harder you find a switch that depresses and that makes the DSG engage the lowest possible gear it can for you current speed.
panhandle
In: Rising Blue
Options: Everything bar the panoramic..

Post by panhandle »

As a DSG convert of circa 20,000 miles now I couldnt agree more with the above posts. I supect that anyone looking at an R would consider themselves a "proper manual driver" and the mere mention of an auto sends shudder sdown the spine, but this box really is the best of both worlds. Despite some possible issues on a box by box basis (mine is still purring nicely touch wood) I would say they are very reliable (especially given how feffin clever they are!).

When you wanna go beasting the car then the manual paddle mode does not disappoint.
southerndonkey
Options: Leather
19" Wheels
Panoramic Roof
RNS510 DVD Navigation
Cruise Control
Folding Mirrors
Reversing Sensors

Post by southerndonkey »

Firstly, thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

Went on a test drive yesterday and am happy to report that I have joined the Roc R club :hyper:

What an all round excellent car :) Currently have a 57 plate Civic Type R which is very good, but in virtually every aspect the Scirocco R is an improvement and in some areas it is a quantum leap ahead. The adaptability of the DSG box is very impressive and the engine shows no lack of urge or responsiveness across the rev range, the interior quality, fit & finish and the tactile feel really is far ahead of the Jap car, it does feel a little dark inside what with black leather, headlining, carpet, dashboard etc. so went for the pano roof to give it a more airy, open feel.

Anyway, thanks again.

SD