SD or not to SDHC?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Mk3Mike
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Premium package
RCD 510
Automatic Climate Control
BSR ECU-upgrade = 193bhp & 291Nm (215ftlb)

Re: SD or not to SDHC?

Post by Mk3Mike »

I use this one...

Works fine on RCD510.....
JaseW
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Vienna Leather, Nav, Parking, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Premium Sills & Mats, Alloy Pedals, GT Wheel Badge, Piano Inserts, de-badge, Full Milltek inc sports cat, Forge DV, Forge Twintercooler, Forge Uprated Pipes, H&R 35mm drop, RS-Tuning Custom map (286bhp)

Post by JaseW »

I can confirm I tried the SDHC again in the RNS-510 and it doesn't work!

So there we have it RCD-510 - The man from VW.. He say Yes! RNS-510 - The man from VW.. he say, nope!
I luv Roc!
thedavidgreen

Post by thedavidgreen »

So maybe from what i have read - this means you could use a 32GB card, just ensuring that it is all in the correct format etc?

Has someone tried this yet?...please...

I get my car next month too...
sara_brea

Post by sara_brea »

is the RCD510 the standard headunit you get in the rocco?
rehmondo
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

sara_brea wrote:is the RCD510 the standard headunit you get in the rocco?
Yip in the UK it is, 6CD changer built in that also plays mp3 cd's so you have have around 100+ songs on 1 CD alone.
rehmondo
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

sara_brea wrote:is the RCD510 the standard headunit you get in the rocco?
Yip in the UK it is, with a 6CD changer built-in - which also plays mp3 cd's ... so you have have around 100+ songs on 1 CD alone.
thebeast1234
Options: Electric adjust drivers seat, rear sensors, sat nav, leather.

Post by thebeast1234 »

Damn...So the more expensive RNS510 that isn't standard fit doesn't support SDHC cards!!! I think that pretty poor actually.
You'd think the actual SD reader and software would be the same unit on both, does this mean that VW are charging a pretty penny for the sat-nav but are using cheaper parts to make more profit????
I'm so peaved about this as you'd think that having the £1200 RNS510 would if anyhting support the later cards, being that you lose the standard 6CD changer??!!
thebeast1234
Options: Electric adjust drivers seat, rear sensors, sat nav, leather.

Post by thebeast1234 »

Actually I just thought of something, does anyone know if the SD reader portion is a seperate part of the 510 system? and also could this be a software thing?
If it is either of these maybe the RNS510 can be modified or upgraded to read the SDHC cards.
jc74
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Cruise Control, Leather, Sunroof, DVD Satnav, Parking Sensors

Yes RNS510 has annoying things!

Post by jc74 »

I agree it is very annoying that the RNS510 doesn't support SDHC cards!
Annoying things I found:-
- No SDHC
- Very slow copying files from SD to HDD
- Cannot copy from USB to HDD
- Very awkward selection of folder names/structure when copying to HDD ie. it's not easy to copy two SD cards into the same directory structure without specifying folders individually
- Can play DVD video, but cannot play VCD or Divx, or video from SD/USB
- When car is switched off, and SD/USB/HDD music is selected, it doesn't remember where it was at, and starts at the beginning, which suffers the next problem...
- It plays alphabetically the first MP3, in the first directoy on the device. This is REALLY annoying, because even if I make the first file an playlist, it plays the MP3 and not the M3U!. Which means I have to then navigate up the structure to the playlist :grumpy:

However, on a positive note, I've found that the Nav map supplied with my car has speed cameras on it!
As said above, I would agree, that I'd expect better for £1200 extra upon the RCD500! - For that price I could buy a good hi-def media PC with gps and still have change to buy a set of new tyres!
SHutch
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: Parking Sensors

Post by SHutch »

I'm really appreciating the wide range of audio options on the RCD510 - currently I have an 8GB SDHC card and a 16GB USB stick connected. (AND the dealer supplied both the USB and iPOD MDI cables ;) )

However there are a couple of things that are annoying :

1) The RCD510 will random-play (MIX) from a playlist - which is GREAT, BUT if you try to skip forward a couple of tracks, the unit will hang, necessitating removal and re-inserting of the USB stick to get it back to life - not great whilst driving.....

2) The RCD510 supports OGG-VORBIS format, which again is great as I have a lot of music encoded in OGG, BUT it will only play it from the MDI interface, NOT the SD-slot. Not a great problem (I have put all the OGG stuff on the USB stick) BUT it was annoying initially when i put all the stuff on the SD card and found it didn't play.

But in general I really enjoy having the ability to get all this music on the road - much better than trying to wrestle with an FM transmitter.....