What engine would you have?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Hi , I'm just curious on everyones opinion of the engines
Available , like what people think is the best engine. Pros cons of them all.
Not in situation I can buy one right now but I'll be buying a
2nd roc soon so just wondering what u guys think engine I should go for. Fancy a 2.0 gt tdi 170. :shake:
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
ayeaye
Options: Candy White Scirocco - August 2009 - March 2013
Now replaced with a MINI Cooper S

Re: What engine would you have?

Post by ayeaye »

Can't fault my 140 TDI - most of my driving is in rush hour traffic so not a lot of opportunity to press on. But on runs out with the daily run, it can still have fun. Sometimes I wish I had the 170 but I don't think I'd see much of a difference 90% of the time.
goatboy
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather!

Post by goatboy »

tdi 170 for me, good compromise of performance and economy.
However if I didn't have a 60 mile commute I would have looked a lot more seriously at a petrol...
jammyeel
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Black Talladegas
Full Anthracite Leather Upholstery
Heated seats
Pano Roof
CC
DSG
Rear Park Sensors

Post by jammyeel »

Sod that and get the R 2.0 tsi. much more fun :D
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Yes that would be a great option. Apart from the fact I'm 19 and insurance on a roc r would cost a fortune, besides I couldn't afford a roc r anyway. :(
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
gibbsy
In: Indium Grey
Options: Very pretty Cocker Spaniel in the boot

Post by gibbsy »

Having a 170 GT I'm obviously very happy with it. Power is strong, in fact it's relentless, and economy is very good. A recent 35 mile dual carriageway and motorway drive at 70 mph returned close to 60 mpg. There is a lot of steep hills where I live and 170 just eats them up.
samdub
In: Rising Blue
Options: Two-tone Cornsilk Beige/Black Vienna Leather, BiXenon Headlights, Cruise Control, DAB Radio, Dynaudio Premium Sound, Interlagos 18's, Parking sensors, Electronic folding mirrors, Mats, Dangley Cherry Air Freshener

Post by samdub »

If I could, I'd have the V6 TDI out of the R18 :) For now the 170 remapped will have to do!
~ GT TDI 208ps revo ~
rococco
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Viper Green

Post by rococco »

I like the 160 TSI for its lightness and responsiveness and I admire its engineering. And I like the 170 TDI for its efficiency and torque.

I wouldn't have a smaller engine as the car deserves at least this much power, and would have a larger engine but for their fuel consumption and insurance ratings.

The 160 TSI and the 170 TDI are both excellent engines with different strengths that should align with what you want from your car. If you take your maximum motoring enjoyment from throwing your 'roc around twisty mountain roads then the 160 TSI may be better suited. Whereas if you expect to spend many hours touring the motorway then you'll get greater satisfaction from the 170 TDI.
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

rococco wrote:I like the 160 TSI for its lightness and responsiveness and I admire its engineering. And I like the 170 TDI for its efficiency and torque.

I wouldn't have a smaller engine as the car deserves at least this much power, and would have a larger engine but for their fuel consumption and insurance ratings.

The 160 TSI and the 170 TDI are both excellent engines with different strengths that should align with what you want from your car. If you take your maximum motoring enjoyment from throwing your 'roc around twisty mountain roads then the 160 TSI may be better suited. Whereas if you expect to spend many hours touring the motorway then you'll get greater satisfaction from the 170 TDI.
Great advice there , think I would be more beneficial from the 160 tsi. But I'm really liking the thought of all that torque from the 170.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
jimma1983
Options: DAB tuner, Dynaudio Sound Pack, Smoking Pack

Post by jimma1983 »

I am very pleased with my 170TDI. I took a long time to decide between that and the 140, but I thought for the difference in price that the 170 was worth the extra. It is definetly an improvement on my older 140PD engine. The power in the engine is amazing for a diesel, it really pulls when you want it to but gives you the option of being efficient when needed. I did expect the consumption to be a bit better, I am getting an average of 50mpg, but it only has 600 miles on the clock so expect it will get better with time.

If the 160TSI was available in GT spec, then that might have been up for consideration too, but I wanted the extras of the GT.
yaroc
In: Deep Black
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, DAB ,Mats

Post by yaroc »

I’d have an R if it wasn’t for petrol costs, in the real world I’m quite happy with my 170 but only averaging 48, seen 56 once but that didn’t last, must have a heavy right foot!!. Thinking of getting it re-mapped though.
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

so far good feedback on the 170 tdi . im stuck between that and 1.4 tsi 160. thanks for your comments
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
stefanos08
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Sumatra
Options: 1.4TSI 160HP Sumatra RCD510, tyre pressure control, alarm, tinted windows, Tuned by oettinger 200ps

Post by stefanos08 »

Get the R :D
Turboweasel
In: Rising Blue
Options: Everything except DSG, Pano roof, Recaro's and leather.

Post by Turboweasel »

stefanos08 wrote:Get the R :D
Defo :vibes:
char
In: Deep Black

Post by char »

I test drove a 170 and it made me feel really sick! It depends what you want the car for to be honest mate. If you want to do track days, pull off from lights quickly in a hail of tyre smoke. etc

The 140 will still do well over 115mph on the motorway so you can loose your license with any of them, its not slow. I do 360miles a week and its comfortable and boot it in 6th and you will pull away from most cars out there. I chose the 140 and had leather seats, does the job nicely, best mpg, still looks good and people get out the way for you when you come up behind them :D
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Well I'm no boy racer , And I'm definitely not interested in burnouts at traffic lights. When u say makes you feel sick.. How exactly did it make u feel sick ?
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
gibbsy
Options: Very pretty Cocker Spaniel in the boot

Post by gibbsy »

Drive_with_Style wrote:Well I'm no boy racer , And I'm definitely not interested in burnouts at traffic lights. When u say makes you feel sick.. How exactly did it make u feel sick ?
I wonder on that one as well. I test drove a manual 140 and DSG 170 and was completely bowled over by the 170. There was a big difference in the way the cars behaved on their power delivery. Can't see how it made the OP feel sick, green with envy perhaps. :D
Tallguy

Post by Tallguy »

Low mileage/fun motoring go for the 1.4 TSI 160 - there is nothing else on the market quite like this high tech engine and I love it
High mileage/business motoring - go for a 140 or 170 diesel
Of course we would all go for a Scirocco R but it is outside the price range of most Scirocco Central members (including me)
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

I'm considering a 1.4 160. But being 19 I still ask my dads opinion :), and he thinks I should get a diesel. At the moment I'm driving a 1149cc Renault Clio new shape 75bhp, petrol. So what ever engine I get it's going to be a vast improvement in performance. I know there's alot of people who hate Renault but before anyone starts hating on my car , it's all I could afford at the time and it's cheap to run, and pretty good on insurance for young people.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
b0rk
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

What mileage are you doing? If it's mainly short distances the petrol will be a better option.