New Engine Question

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
VWMerc
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: GT Wheels
Rear Parking Sensors
Winter Pack

New Engine Question

Post by VWMerc »

Some people have pointed this out to me...now I could just ring VW but I'm lazy...I admit it. So as I'm on here I will ask....

1. Now I have a new engine do I need any documentation as people said it wont match my car No. or something...this true?
2. Do you think I would get additional warranty on the engine that overrides the existing warranty I have on the car?
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: New Engine Question

Post by RW1 »

1. You need to inform the DVLA of the engine serial number change on the logbook for completeness. ie. change of details. The engine number is on the right side of the engine just below and forward of the oill filler cap. Its a white label with bar code and it will start with CAV followed by 6 digits.

2. I doubt if VW's warranty could be enhanced for the 3 year life from new. What you might consider is extending it if you are keeping the Scirocco beyond 3 years from new. I'm extending mine with Inchape next year for an additional 2 years if I go ahead and keep it as its doing too low a mileage to be handed back in. Obviously there are other warranties both at your dealer if not the Inchape parent company or via third parties. The Inchape one will not go beyond the 5 year point from new.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

I had a new engine fitted to my R32 under warranty and no additional warranty was given other than the dealer warranted the workmanship for 6 months to cover minor niggles that may arise from the new installation.

I never informed DVLA as it's not a legal requirement and couldn't be bothered with the hassle
motorsportmatt
In: Viper Green
Options: cruise, interlagos, 510rds,

Post by motorsportmatt »

vwmerc, what was wrong with your old engine? I have a 1.4 160 and dont really like it, in fact the 1.4 122 felt nicer to drive.
ZephyR
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

VW won't give you an extended warranty on the new engine. Its like most other consumer warranty issues. If you get an item replaced with a new one under warranty you don't get a further 12 months (or whatever) warranty from the point of replacement. The original warranty just continues until it expires.

Chris - have you got any prices for the Inchcape extended warranty ?
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

ZephyR wrote:Chris - have you got any prices for the Inchcape extended warranty ?
I asked for a like-for-like to VW's 3 year as they have two on offer. They offered this one "Plan A" which is £413 for year 4 or £719 for years 4 & 5 was offered. Prices are November 2010.
Inchape Warranty002.jpg
They also offer a "Plan B" which needs a detail look at.
Inchape Warranty004.jpg
Haven't any research yet on either or other 3rd party policies. Coming winter project.

C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
ZephyR
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

Thanks Chris. My mate at work has 3rd party cover for his Audi. He's paying just over £300 per year which includes cover for main dealer labour rates. He didn't take out the one which included airbag and aircon cover.
Like you say - a research job for later in the year, with careful attention to the small print :nod:

Hey ! At least Inchcape have a Plan B :D
lancs_lad
In: Salsa Red
Options: DAB Radio, Parking Sensors, Multi Function Steering Wheel, Tyre Pressure Sensors

Post by lancs_lad »

ZephyR wrote:Hey ! At least Inchcape have a Plan B :D
My Plan B is to change the car before the warranty expires. Too many people reporting problems with the 1.4 160 for my liking. :cry:
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

lancs_lad wrote:
My Plan B is to change the car before the warranty expires. Too many people reporting problems with the 1.4 160 for my liking. :cry:
But that's the nature of the internet isn't it - people report problems, they don't report that everything is fine so you end up with a really doom and gloom, and distorted, view imho.

Deacon
playing in my '86
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

lancs_lad wrote:
No different to the Air-cooled Beetle 1303S guarenteed to blow no.3 cylinder around 30,000 miles or the Corrado G60 to digest its G Charger from year one onwards or the VR6 to leak oil until they fixed the head gasket design........... The proportion of the problems relative to the production rate doesn't appear higher than usual. Just not a desirable thing and when it happens, people naturally get very upset.

VW denied the Beetle 1303S problem 100% throughout but it bottom out they had over stretched the cooling of an old 1930's engine's cooling system and a design flaw.

The Corrado G60 they paid owners compensation even upto 6 years after customer delivery on a pro-rata basis of the typicaly £4,000 cost to replace the totalled engine. Year 100% down to 20% in year six.

Shorten the plug gaps to 0.74mm - 0.79mm (29 - 31 thou) and run on Super Unleaded. Makes a belting little engine. :D
Deacon will vouch for that.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
lancs_lad
In: Salsa Red
Options: DAB Radio, Parking Sensors, Multi Function Steering Wheel, Tyre Pressure Sensors

Post by lancs_lad »

Deacon wrote:
lancs_lad wrote:
But that's the nature of the internet isn't it - people report problems, they don't report that everything is fine so you end up with a really doom and gloom, and distorted, view imho.

Deacon
It may be the nature of the internet but the problem is that well documented that VW themselves have acknowledged the issue. My own car suffered a misfire shortly after I took delivery but a new coil pack fixed the issue. There are probably even more people with the same problem that don't post on these sites. Some well documented problems you can live with and take a chance on but to take a chance on needing a new engine after the warranty expires and VW wash their hand sof you is something I personally cannot afford to take a chance on. The car itself is fabulous and I will be gutted when it goes. I am also aware of another guy with a car delivered the same time as mine whose engine is currently stripped on a VW workshop floor awaiting a response from VW and over the next 12 months I'm sure there will be more.

If only it was as simple as changing the plug gap and putting super in that'd be great but I really don't think it's as simple as that.