Polly's Screwed It All Up

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
GaryUFM
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Sunroof
Folding Door Mirrors
DAB Radio
Parking Sensors
Cruise Control

Polly's Screwed It All Up

Post by GaryUFM »

After being told that VW's own Bluetooth Prep couldn't be guaranteed to work with either my Blackberry or my HTC Desire HD, I thought I'd save a few pennies, and rely instead on the works supplied Parrot unit (great bit of kit, btw).

Got it installed yesterday. Engineer got me to run through the electrics to check all okay. Seemed to be. Trouble is, there's that many things to think about...

I checked the electrical adjustment of the mirrors, and that they still folded (check & check). Forgot to see that passenger side dipped and turned in when reverse engaged. Found out when I got home it doesn't: it now turns up!

Also noticed touchscreen display very dark and doesn't adjust when lights are turned on/off.

VW Crosshills have said they can sort, but not under warranty now (due to Orange engineer's involvement) so will be a charge. Got the Orange dude coming back to fix next week - fingers crossed. If not will have to bite the bullet and pay VW.

Anyone else have similar problems with Parrots?
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Re: Polly's Screwed It All Up

Post by Shaun »

Have you tried resetting the reverse dip ?, i.e reprogramming it to know where you want it to dip ?, i cant see why he would have needed to do anything to the wiring of the mirrors, As for the touchscreen do you mean it no longer sets to night or day ?, again have you looked at the settings on the RNS ? (The options are Day/Night/Automatic. Select Automatic. ), there is also an option for Automatic brightness of the unit, check this too.
GaryUFM
Folding Door Mirrors
DAB Radio
Parking Sensors
Cruise Control

Post by GaryUFM »

Well, VW guy ran diagnostic checks and said he ran through all the settings, including turning Mirror Down on & off. Is there a way of setting the Mirror Down position yourself? Don't worry, I'll check that one myself in the manual.

Likewise with the display: he ran thru all the settings. All was as it should have been but still display was dim and not changing as lights turned on and off.
Shaun
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

GaryUFM wrote:Well, VW guy ran diagnostic checks and said he ran through all the settings, including turning Mirror Down on & off. Is there a way of setting the Mirror Down position yourself? Don't worry, I'll check that one myself in the manual.

Likewise with the display: he ran thru all the settings. All was as it should have been but still display was dim and not changing as lights turned on and off.
Yes you set the mirror down to your own personal height etc, it is in the manual how to do it (i will post the guide from the roccopedia below), dont always trust the dealers. go into the setting on the head unit and make sure its set to auto :yes:

There seems to be no set spec to get this option. It was initially thought it was only on Xenon quipped cars but this now does not seem to be the case. It may be related to build date or some other spec option (or combination) we haven't identified yet.

Place the mirror adjustment dial to the L position (for the left - passenger side - mirror).
On the MFD choose Convenience > Mirror Down > ON
Select reverse and the mirror should tilt down. You can adjust the position to suit and it will remember it for next time.
When you get above about 10-15mph the mirror will go back to the original position.
GaryUFM
Folding Door Mirrors
DAB Radio
Parking Sensors
Cruise Control

Post by GaryUFM »

So, it looks like in testing the electrics post-installation, I've reset the Mirror Down position so that it points up. Now corrected thanks to Shaun's help. Ahem. Swiftly moving on...

At the risk of making myself look foolish again, I've been into the RNS unit settings. I can't find a Day/Night/Auto option (this just a satnav thing?), just 4 brightness settings. Seems to make little difference. VW guy said it *should* change automatically based on the car's lights. Seen elsewhere on here though that backlighting based on light sensor, could this be the same?

In any case, in certain lights, screen still very hard to see.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Ahh, do you have the rcd510 ?, I wrongly assumed you had a RNS, I took my RCD out within mins of getting the car so I don't know about it's settings but I thought it was still adjustable , just one question your not testing in the garage are you or is the light sensor being blocked ?
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Also what position is your Head light switch on ?, have you fiddled with this ?
ZephyR
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

I seem to recall there being a light sensor on one of the top corners of the RCD. Your Parrot isn't obstructing that by any chance ?
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

ZephyR wrote:I seem to recall there being a light sensor on one of the top corners of the RCD. Your Parrot isn't obstructing that by any chance ?
Yes the light sensor is on the top right of the RCD, when VW install their bury kit they are told to fit it on the top left for just this reason.
GaryUFM
Folding Door Mirrors
DAB Radio
Parking Sensors
Cruise Control

Post by GaryUFM »

Er, RCD? Anybody...? Parrot is on top right corner of centre console (left edge between the right vent open/shut control and the button with the musical note that brings up treble & bass menus); mic is next to the motion sensors in the roof.

Only checking in broad daylight, hence difficulty seeing dull display.

Whilst on subject of lights, Off = dipped beam; Auto = dipped beam; Sidelights = DRL; Dipped Beam = dipped beam. This may explain why my screen is always dull, but why's it happening?

Don't recall this problem pre-Parrot.
GaryUFM
Folding Door Mirrors
DAB Radio
Parking Sensors
Cruise Control

Post by GaryUFM »

Also just noticed pushing lights stalk fwd *doesn't* turn main beam on. A pull gives a flash, but nothing when pushed fwd.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Its hard to say without VCDS, who put the Parrot in ?, in your position i would take it to a different dealer and not even mention the Parrot being fitted, i would try popping the headlight switch out and seeing if it is connected up OK.
goatboy
In: Salsa Red
Options: Leather!

Post by goatboy »

Sounds like you may have already found the problem... (assuming you don't have sat nav Gary?)
Shaun wrote:
ZephyR wrote:I seem to recall there being a light sensor on one of the top corners of the RCD. Your Parrot isn't obstructing that by any chance ?
Yes the light sensor is on the top right of the RCD (i.e not sat nav stereo), when VW install their bury kit they are told to fit it on the top left for just this reason.
and....
GaryUFM wrote:Parrot is on top right corner of centre console (left edge between the right vent open/shut control and the button with the musical note that brings up treble & bass menus); mic is next to the motion sensors in the roof.
richwill607
In: Candy White
Options: Reversing Sensors,
Premium Sill Guards,
VW Touch Blue Tooth Kit.

Ordered: 21st Jan 2010
Build Week: 10
Collected: 29th Mar 2010
Smiling ever since

Post by richwill607 »

Pushing the stalk to turn on the main beam has no effect in daylight when the lights are set to auto but you can still flash. Try again at night.
Rocc on!
Rob
Options: Scirocco's gone!

Post by Rob »

GaryUFM wrote: Whilst on subject of lights, Off = dipped beam; Auto = dipped beam; Sidelights = DRL; Dipped Beam = dipped beam. This may explain why my screen is always dull, but why's it happening?
The dipped beams are the DRL's, unless you get it changed using vagcom. Putting the switch to sidelights turns off the dipped beam and only puts on the sidelights. God knows why VW have done this, the rear lights are always on too!
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

rob-p wrote:
GaryUFM wrote: Whilst on subject of lights, Off = dipped beam; Auto = dipped beam; Sidelights = DRL; Dipped Beam = dipped beam. This may explain why my screen is always dull, but why's it happening?
The dipped beams are the DRL's, unless you get it changed using vagcom. Putting the switch to sidelights turns off the dipped beam and only puts on the sidelights. God knows why VW have done this, the rear lights are always on too!
To punish you for not buying Xenons :-)
Rob
Options: Scirocco's gone!

Post by Rob »

Cuprabob wrote:
rob-p wrote:
To punish you for not buying Xenons :-)
Didnt want xenons, I know they light up the road much better but £1000 for them, :shake:

bought some of Flux's bulbs and they are fantastic!
GaryUFM
Folding Door Mirrors
DAB Radio
Parking Sensors
Cruise Control

Post by GaryUFM »

Below two pics showing parrot and mic location. As far as I remember, underneath the Parrot, it's exactly the same as the opposite side - i.e. no light sensors(?)

Also - re: main beams, apparently my light sensors are detecting it's night, hence in Auto mode my 'dipped beam' (see below) is on. So surely my main (full) beam shoud work (re: Richwil607's comment).

Confusion re: dipped beams/DRLs? (possibly down to me). Essentially, I mean all light modes turns my 'headlights' on - inc. 'Off' (0); except for the Sidelights option (to the right of the 'Auto' selection), which just turns the two small lights by the separate indicator cluster on - I thought these were the DRLs. :?

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

On your car the dipped beams are the DRLs, hence why you cannot switch them off in any setting other than sidelights. I appreciate it can be confusing but it's normal.

The auto function is really redundant and if you want to check the main beam turn the switch fully clockwise to manually switch your lights on and then check operation. When the lights are on in every other setting they are effectively DRLs and may not allow main beam operation.

Sidelights are the 2 small lights next to indicators.
martdy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Dynaudio with DAB,PanoRoof,Parking Sensors,Tyre Indicator,Non Smoking Smokers Pack,Cruise control,Folding Mirrors, Prem Mats/Sills,Gt Badge/Metal Pedals,Fiscon Bluetooth.

Post by martdy »

GaryUFM wrote:Below two pics showing parrot and mic location. As far as I remember, underneath the Parrot, it's exactly the same as the opposite side - i.e. no light sensors(?)
The light sensor is directly underneath the bottom left hand corner of the Parrot(top right of RCD510). It 's not very big - about the size of a pin head. So yes in that picture it is covering the sensor.
Rising Blue,DSG,Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Pano roof,Folding mirrors,Dynaudio/DAB,Park Sensors,Cruise, Flat tyre indicator,Prem Mats+Sills,Metal Pedals,Gt Badge,Fiscon,Covered cup holder/rear cup holders.Now gone Piano Black with new Climate Control