Oil Temperture ?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Sootchucker
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Bluetooth, RNS-510 Nav, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Puddle lights, covered cup holder, rear air vents (working), door warning lights)

Oil Temperture ?

Post by Sootchucker »

Hi guys, quick question.

I've had my brand new GT 2.0 TDI Bluemotion 140 for about 4 months now, and it's covered about 2.5k miles so far. Whilst travelling home last night, I happened to flick the MFD to oil temperture, and was a little surpsrised to see it at 101°C. The car hadn't been used since lunchtime, and this was after about 15-20 minutes from startup cruising at approx 70-75mph. Ambient temperature was showing as 22.5°C. After another 5 minutes or so, it dropped back to 99°C.

The last 3 or 4 miles of my journey home is typical urban A and B roads (no motorway), and I noticed the temperature fell back to 89°C. My question is, are these temperatures normal for a Diesel that's only covered 2.5K miles, or not, and will it fall back once it's run in more ?

Thanks

Andrew
goatboy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red
Options: Leather!

Re: Oil Temperture ?

Post by goatboy »

Its not something I tend to look at a lot but the few times I have mine seems to be in the high 90's so about the same...
kenti
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: R-Line Plus, R-Line black leather, Xenon, RCD510 w/Dynaudio, Tinted windows, Safety alarm with sensors inside, Mirror pack, Light pack, Tyre pressure control, DAB, Telepone prep, Media-in, DCC, Parking sensors, Winter pack, 18" Mallory for the winter

Post by kenti »

I look at the oil temp all the time :) It's important to not stress the engine before the oil has reached proper temp.

I can't speak for the diesels, but 101 degrees celcius seems very high when drivning normally. My TSI twincharger never goes abouve 90 when driving normally. When driving it hard it reaches between 95-99. I have never seen it above 100 yet (doesn't mean it hasn't been though).
pafa
In: Sumatra
Options: Winter Pack
Sports Pack
Cruise Control
Parking Sensors Rear
Electricable Foldable Door Mirrors
Carpets
Exterior Badge Deletion
RCD 510 Dynaudio Soundpack
Flat Tyre Indicator
2 Zone Electronic Climate Control
Rear Tinted Windows

Post by pafa »

Ive had the temp as high as 114 on a warm day on a highspeed run on the autobahn....normally it is 90 - 98 though...normal driving...
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

Probably doesnt help but my R only ever sits at 90
ayeaye
Options: Candy White Scirocco - August 2009 - March 2013
Now replaced with a MINI Cooper S

Post by ayeaye »

Mine will sit around 95/96 at end of the daily commute - our CC (also with the 140 engine) I've seen up at 101 on same run.
Turboweasel
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
Options: Everything except DSG, Pano roof, Recaro's and leather.

Post by Turboweasel »

My R sits at 93 but with a spirited B road drive goes pt to 98 and at the Nurburgring hit 104 but after a minute cooled back down to 93 when I finished a lap.
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Just picked mine up on Saturday and noticed oil temp. was going from between 99 and 103. It was a roasting hot day though
nazpatel
Options: bi-xenons
winter pack
truffle leather
pano roof
19' black lugano & styling pack
parking sensors.

Post by nazpatel »

iv had mine up to 128 b4 but that was when it was newish it stays between 90-103 now depending on how im drivin and temp outside.
Tolkan
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160

Post by Tolkan »

Cyprus where we see about 40c daily in the summer and I get usually 110c to 119c but when i drive i drive on the motorway where i do push the car a bit. Usually 100c to 105c in the heat daily.