Deep Black on 17"s

The place to share pictures and impressions of your new arrival or just show off your motor.
ecd101
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: 17" Spa alloys came as standard

Deep Black on 17"s

Post by ecd101 »

I've been looking at/drooling over the Scirocco since before Christmas and finally took the plunge last week.

I'm getting mine on a lease deal with 17" wheels. I've been told the vehicle is in stock so should be with me by the end of the month. It has the full GT spec with the only difference being the smaller wheels. Initially I ruled the deal out on the back of the smaller wheels but they have grown on me hence the order.

What are people's thoughts on the 17" alloys? I've noticed that the vast majority of the photos on here have 18" wheels. Have I made a bad call or will I be part of an exclusive club?
easybreeze
In: Candy White
Options: Parking Sensors
Smokers Pack

Re: Deep Black on 17"s

Post by easybreeze »

I think the 18"s look too small personally, on 17"s it just doesn't look as good - but it's still a Scirocco but with 1" smaller wheels - some would say that's a lot, some would say not :lol:
Arrived 23rd March '09 - Lovin' it
tartangti
In: Rising Blue
Options: Anthracite Vienna Leather, Rear Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Smokers Pack!

Post by tartangti »

ecd101 wrote: What are people's thoughts on the 17" alloys? I've noticed that the vast majority of the photos on here have 18" wheels. Have I made a bad call or will I be part of an exclusive club?
Hmmm, not sure. I didn't spec the 18" upgrade on the Monza's when I bought my Golf GTi and to be honest I've regretted it ever since as, to my eye at least, the 17s look noticeably smaller. Some folk probably couldn't tell the difference though and I have heard that the 17s help the ride quality so it may not be all bad though. When it came to the scirocco I could have had one of the lease cars you mentioned, with 17s, but I much prefer the style of alloy wheel you get on the 18s. They look much better IMO and if they hadn't been standard I'd have definitely specced the 18"s as an extra without a doubt.

I guess only you can be the judge of whether you're happy with them or not though! I suppose even if you're not happy with the wheels you've presumably saved around £500 of the cost of your Scirocco which you can put towards a new set of 18" wheels/tyres anyway!
ecd101

Post by ecd101 »

You're right. It's saved me about £1400 over the lifetime of the contract. The better handling argument and my mate pointing out "you don't see them when you tanking down the M6" swung it for me.
Scirocco 4.jpg
I am a bit worried I'll regret it but it's done now. I look at this way:

Current drive (first car): Y-reg Rover 25 with 90k on clock and 83bhp. Doesn't like hills, unreliable, no toys
Future drive: New VW Scirocco with delivery mileage and 200bhp. Will love hills, corners, straights... solid car, all the toys and oh yeah slightly smaller wheels.

No contest. Can't wait!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

pic i found to compare the 17'' and 18'' rims

Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
jntaras
In: Viper Green
Options: xenons,rcd 510 dynaudio,park pilot,interlagos 18'',tyre pressure indicator

Post by jntaras »

The 18'' are far better...
SuperJB
Options: Anthracite Vienna Leather, "Scirocco" carpet mats, Stainless Steel Pedals and Door Sills

Post by SuperJB »

Worth noting that if your car is a GT on 17"s then the wheels will probably be the ones shown on the grey car in andy's post, which are different (and IMO nicer) than the wheels that come on a non-GT roc.

If you save £1400 on the length of the contract then definitely not worth worrying about! :shrug:
drnick
Options: leather, Nav, Park sensors

Post by drnick »

the ones on the non GT spec (ie black photo from VW site) don't look too great, i'd consider picking up a 2nd hand set of interlagos, but the ones on the grey pic above look fine, in some ways you'll look more exclusive that all the regular GTs................. either way, you've still got a fantastic motor and with the GT spec you'll be grinning from ear to ear!!
ecd101

Post by ecd101 »

Finally after the broker and the finance company have both been vying for the coveted "Most inept at customer service award" over the past month, I have a delivery date!!

It will be delivered this Thursday!! Can't wait. I will post some pics so people can see what they think.

I agree with drnick, I think it'll make look the car look even more rare. They say as soon as you order a car you notice them at every street corner but I can honestly say I have seen about 4 since Christmas.

I was expecting a glut to appear on the streets about now as people waited for the 09 but I still think they are a rarity.

Roll on Thursday!
ecd101

Post by ecd101 »

It finally arrived at the hotel yesterday!! Despite the dealer assuring me the driver would ring in advance so I could be there to sign for it etc, the dopey driver just got the concierge to sign for it!! Unbelievable.

Anyway I drove it back with a colleague from Birmingham to Manchester yesterday and he is straight off to trawl the dealers so as not to be out done!

Car goes like a dream, 90 on the M6 was so effortless I was surprised when I looked at the speedo.

Anyway for those naysayers, doubters and curious types, here are some pics of the 17". I still think it looks amazing though I know a few of you will never be happy unless you are jarring your spines of 20" dubs.

Enjoy

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/scgall ... p?album=61
wtfbbq
In: Viper Green
Options: Highline 160HP, Phone preparation

Post by wtfbbq »

ecd101 wrote:It finally arrived at the hotel yesterday!! Despite the dealer assuring me the driver would ring in advance so I could be there to sign for it etc, the dopey driver just got the concierge to sign for it!! Unbelievable.

Anyway I drove it back with a colleague from Birmingham to Manchester yesterday and he is straight off to trawl the dealers so as not to be out done!

Car goes like a dream, 90 on the M6 was so effortless I was surprised when I looked at the speedo.

Anyway for those naysayers, doubters and curious types, here are some pics of the 17". I still think it looks amazing though I know a few of you will never be happy unless you are jarring your spines of 20" dubs.

Enjoy

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/scgall ... p?album=61

I like them!
In the week of 3 april I'am getting my rocco too with 17"s, difference is I've got the donington rims :)
drnick
Options: leather, Nav, Park sensors

Post by drnick »

I think it looks great, personally not a fan of donnington but like i said earlier, these ones look really good. Remember, above all, it's NOT a Rover (if you remember the old Rover ads)