Time for tyres!

Everything about the R for potential owners.
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Re: Time for tyres!

Post by Chungster »

upgraded to 4 x Sport Contact 3's now. Thank You SMT plan! :) :yes:
yellowplum
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Post by yellowplum »

Chungster wrote:upgraded to 4 x Sport Contact 3's now. Thank You SMT plan! :) :yes:
National tyres have an offer is anyone is around the Portsmouth Depot, 20% off anything, continentals 5p 235/35/19 are £186 and Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2 are £157.20 (have gone for the goodyear, according to ADAC they are slightly better than the 5P)
veeedubba
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
Options: Heated Leather cruise parking sensors folding mirrors

Post by veeedubba »

BEWARE!!!! I had an 18 inch alloy damaged by a well know company who i suspect let the alloy fall over when removed from the car and there were also marks on the rim from the machine. My advice is check the alloy immediately before tyre removed with the fitter then immediately following tyre fitment. Then complain like hell if you aren't happy.
Strat
Options: This and that.

Post by Strat »

The new Michelin Pilot Super Sports are meant to be the best in the bizzzzz! think they nip the conti 5s to first place imo!
Rolling Deep...
b0rk
With a: DSG box
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

Auto review ranked the michelins only 6th place in a head to head review using focus RS and Scirocco R test cars.. which is surprising tbh. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/20 ... e-Test.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There comment was comfort and wet weather performance had been compromised to achieve dry track excellence. Michelin don't offer the tyre in 235/40r18 size so its one for those running 19" only, If it wasn't for the price at £300 rrp I might be tempted when mine are due for changing.
Strat

Post by Strat »

b0rk wrote:Auto review ranked the michelins only 6th place in a head to head review using focus RS and Scirocco R test cars.. which is surprising tbh. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/20 ... e-Test.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There comment was comfort and wet weather performance had been compromised to achieve dry track excellence. Michelin don't offer the tyre in 235/40r18 size so its one for those running 19" only, If it wasn't for the price at £300 rrp I might be tempted when mine are due for changing.
Yeh i read that. My view is that in the wet i don't push the car anyway, so as long as they aren't shambolic the wet isnt my priority. Given they are fitted to Lambo's, Porsche's etc, they can't be too bad. Plus they are supposedly relatively well wearing, whereas the Conti's wear quite quickly.

So in the dry, ill be well placed. Yeh, only for those on 19s, which is moi :yes:
Rolling Deep...
Chungster

Post by Chungster »

But will you actually use them for what they're designed for?? Track thrashings etc?
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Tyre tests are so subjective I don't really trust them.

Just buy the best tyre, within your budget, that you like...simples
Strat

Post by Strat »

Chungster wrote:But will you actually use them for what they're designed for?? Track thrashings etc?
Track? No.

But you don't need to be on a track to benefit from dry weather grip, so they'll do just fine.
Rolling Deep...
fun meter
Options: MY12, 19" wheels, Leather, RNS510, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Premium mats, MDI...

Post by fun meter »

Probably wouldnt notice difference on road with super sports, as chungster said. You'd need to get heat in them and pound them lap after lap to get benefits, and then be good enough to exploit the extra grip.

I've found the dunlop sport maxx gt's grip levels are quite noticeable as temp changes. When you get them really warm, you get very little slip.
b0rk
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

Michelin claim the wet grip is improved against PS2's and TBH having had PS2's on my previous car I didn't find wet weather performance at all bad. Overall life on my PS2's was just epic.
fun meter
Options: MY12, 19" wheels, Leather, RNS510, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Premium mats, MDI...

Post by fun meter »

Chungster wrote:upgraded to 4 x Sport Contact 3's now. Thank You SMT plan! :) :yes:
How do you find these compared to the sport maxx gt's for dry grip when giving it some? I know they feel better in wet, but dont fancy loosing dry grip.
Cheers
Chungster

Post by Chungster »

well i had them on for the blast in Wales...and felt they were very good. but then the car was freshly lowered with H&R's too so car set up was bit different to when it had the Sport Maxx's.

Got another blast coming up so will see how it copes on some flat surface.
mike-p

Post by mike-p »

b0rk wrote: Michelin don't offer the tyre in 235/40r18 size so its one for those running 19" only, If it wasn't for the price at £300 rrp I might be tempted when mine are due for changing.
that's odd I've just had two PS3 235 40 18 fitted to replace the shite Contis which wore out on the fronts after less than 15k. They were expensive (£200 each) but as they last at least twice a long as the opposition, they're worth it.
Life's too short to go slow

Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance 2.0CR
Revo, Steinbauer & Oscarli Dealer for Suffolk and N.Essex
Chungster

Post by Chungster »

Think hes on about the new super sports mike
Chungster

Post by Chungster »

As for the Contis not lasting they got me 18k on the GTI including plenty of track abuse! I was quite impressed with how they lasted.
Shorum
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Shadow Blue
Options: Dynaudio

Post by Shorum »

I noticed my front tyres are wearing on the two strips towards the centre (stock p-zeros). I only bought the car from the dealer just over a month ago, but have added 1000 miles since (now at 17.5k). Any ideas what the dealers stand would be on this? My first thought is that the dealer would say tough titty, but I wondered if anyone had any experience?
Chungster

Post by Chungster »

have you checked the tyre pressures??
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

sounds as if the pressures are a little high for them to wear in the centre. I assume you didn't notice they were like this when you bought the car. Unfortunately, it's unlikely you would have any comeback on the dealer as he's not done anything wrong. To be honest at 17.5k miles they will be nearing the end of their life
Shorum
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Shadow Blue
Options: Dynaudio

Post by Shorum »

I did add air a couple of weeks ago as they were looking low, as it happens, they were both at 29psi so bumped them up a little. I didn't expect that 500 miles or so at a higher pressure would make such a difference though? Spoke to the dealer - they were 7mm on the back and 6mm on the front when they went out. They have offered me two tyres at cost, which I thought was a nice gesture. I'll check the pressures again and swap the fronts to the back for now as there's still about .5mm until the wear indicator.