Headlights on all the time

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Jaydee
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Sunroof, Winter Pack, Parking Sensors, DAB Radio

Headlights on all the time

Post by Jaydee »

Now, I know I'm probably being a muppet, but my headlights and sides are on all the time.

I've had the car 5 whole days now, but I don't remember them being on at first- or were they?

Please help!
:shrug:
chrisyboyc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather,Criuse Control, Dynaudio possible RS6 alloys if i have cash

Re: Headlights on all the time

Post by chrisyboyc »

thats normal
If you see S9 CTC driving around give us a wave I do 40,000 miles a year it gets lonely out there
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

its called day time running lights Jaydee. Cars built after Feb 2011 can not have these turned off as it is now law.

S
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Jaydee wrote:my headlights and sides are on all the time.
Your headlights are the DRLs on a standard "non-xenon" headlight fitment.
VW haven't used any special circuit / extra lights on the standard set-up with Halogen Headlights, so the side lights front and rear also come on.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Jaydee
Options: Panoramic Sunroof, Winter Pack, Parking Sensors, DAB Radio

Post by Jaydee »

Thank you all, I appreciate your prompt responses

Obviously I am now a confirmed muppet!!

However, I do drive a FAB car....love love love it
chrisyboyc
Options: Leather,Criuse Control, Dynaudio possible RS6 alloys if i have cash

Post by chrisyboyc »

Jaydee wrote:Thank you all, I appreciate your prompt responses

Obviously I am now a confirmed muppet!!

However, I do drive a FAB car....love love love it
your not a muppet its just a stupid idea seems we cant make up our own minds when the lights should be on or not
If you see S9 CTC driving around give us a wave I do 40,000 miles a year it gets lonely out there
Ryy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

I think most people who look over at me from head on are thinking "why the f... has that idiot got his lights on?" - Sorry, I can't do anything about it. The lights are in the off position. I know it's like bright as hell, but....
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

They are not thinking that at all, yhey're thinking lovely car, horrible green colour :-)
Ryy
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

Why I oughta :grumpy:
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Glad you took it in jest as it was intended :-) It's a fine colour, just not my cup of tea
Ryy

Post by Ryy »

Fair game. I personally don't like the Oak Brown. Not hate at all, but eugh. Would never buy one (as for other cars, jeez, well, I love pink, but would not buy a pink car at all).

You're probably right, not just about the colour though.
nuroc

Post by nuroc »

Does the auto light function still work with the running lights? Or do the running lights make the auto function redundant?

Can the sidelights be used as DRL's? Is it legal to change the DRL's to the sidelights on a post 02/11 car?
caprinolaw
Options: Bi-Xenon Headlights, Cruise Control, Scirocco Floors Mats, Boot Liner

Post by caprinolaw »

I don't get why people hate DRL's so much!

I have them as a swtichable option on the MFD of my ROC and I always leave it on.

They don't look bad and if for whatever reason you hit someone whose pulled out on you at least they cant claim they didn't see you coming ...you have your lights on!

I disagree with people who say they should be able to decide when to put their lights on. I realise this doesn't apply to most people, but the amount of people that I see who forget to put them on when its necessary is ridiculous. Especially GREY cars - you are the same colour as the road and the sky in this country.

In my opinion anything that manufacturers can do to make sure we can always see the road and each other can't be a bad thing at all.
Jay.

30.06.2010 - Rocco ordered.
09.09.2010 - Rocco delivered.
nuroc

Post by nuroc »

I don't hate DRL's, I would just like to be able to use the Auto Lights function.

I actually like the 'Angel Eyes' DRL's on BMW's but think some of the LED's on certain other models look a bit overdone. I think the sidelights on a Scirocco, fitted with LED's, would look better than the headlights on all the time, and am wondering whether the new rules would allow this?
maisbitt
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

caprinolaw wrote: They don't look bad and if for whatever reason you hit someone whose pulled out on you at least they cant claim they didn't see you coming ...you have your lights on!
I have had many people pull out of a side junction at me. I had 2 close calls and had the opportunity to ask someone why they did it when they pulled into a petrol station I was going to anyway - they thought i'd flashed them out because they say my lights on for a very sunny day. I probably bouced over a minor pothole or dip in the road, looking like my headlights flashed. DRLs are rubbish when they are dipped beams. If they were separate systems that cannot be confused with the main lights then that is fine.

As all cars become lit during the day, I think this will make motorbikes less noticeable. A few years ago, if you saw lights on a sunny day, you assumed there was a Volvo behind you or a motorbike was about to undertake/overtake in a gap that was hardly there and you could be aware and on guard for them to do something a bit reckless (not calling all bikers, but a sizeable proportion).

Nuroc,

Nothing against the law for using VAGCOM to disable DRLs as they are, restoring the auto function and then putting sidelights on as DRLs - I am about to do this when I get the new 170TDI (hopefully) next week.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
mjc6852
Options: dsg, rear sensors,winter pack,dynaudio, dab

Post by mjc6852 »

I have written to VW to aks them why they have not done a proper job re DRLs and have resorted to this silly solution I also pointed out that a highly visible "obsolesence" will follow any mod they may be making. I will tell you what they say when I get a reply.
rococco
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160

Post by rococco »

So with DRLs on all the time, does the light switch do anything other than illuminate the instrument panel?
maisbitt
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Rococo: Nope, it just lights up the dash and any other interior lights that are expected to come on when it gets dark (such as temp display on older Rocs dual zone settings), hardly "auto" any more.

Couldn't turn these off by stalk method on my 09 Roc, so I now drive around with sidelights switched on only (which does light up the dash), but for the new one in a week or so time, i'll be doing the VAGCOM adjustments.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
caprinolaw
Options: Bi-Xenon Headlights, Cruise Control, Scirocco Floors Mats, Boot Liner

Post by caprinolaw »

I agree for the standard headlights this is a crap system.

At least with the Bi-Xenon's you have different DRL's to your main beams.
Jay.

30.06.2010 - Rocco ordered.
09.09.2010 - Rocco delivered.
gibbsy
In: Indium Grey
Options: Very pretty Cocker Spaniel in the boot

Post by gibbsy »

Saw a storm trooper with lights on this afternoon, private plate so don't know the year, with headlights on. Yesterday saw a 11 reg black Roc which did not have any lights on. Perhaps, like Volvo, you can get the dealer to disable the day light running lights.

I've had my Volvo V50 for over 3 years now, wasn't supposed to be over 3 years but I've ordered a Roc so what did I expect. I digress, I still get people flashing me and pointing at my lights 'it's a bloody Volvo, dimwit'. What Volvo say is that it is a safety factor, not for the gloom but for when there is low sun behind you, as oncoming traffic will see your headlightgs.

Biggest problem I've had is that I have gone through 3 headlight bulbs in the over 3 years I've had the car.