New ESP system

All the info you need to know about the new VW Scirocco.
Kev
Administrator
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

New ESP system

Post by Kev »

Volkswagen has equipped its most potent Golf GTI and R models and its entire Scirocco range with a new ESP system that allows the driver to fully disable electronic aids.

VW has responded to criticism from media and customers that said the models were not adjustable or sporting enough, were too sensible compared with rivals and did not allow the driver full control of the vehicle.

All 2012 model year Sciroccos and Golf GTIs and Rs built from May will be fitted with the new system and will reach showrooms from July. The new ESP set-up is a two-stage system that controls traction control and braking. Pressing the ESP off button once will disable the traction control, while holding it in for more than three seconds will fully disable both traction control and electronic braking systems.

The system will only cut back in should the driver press the brake pedal in the middle of an ‘emergency’, be it if control of the vehicle is lost by the driver or if they want the car to straighten up by itself. If the brake pedal is not depressed by the driver the ESP system will remain inactive.

The new ESP system is a standard fit to all Scirocco models, plus the Golf GTI and R, and is available for no extra cost over the standard car. There are no plans to fit to the Polo GTI at this stage however.
juniorbanks

Re: New ESP system

Post by juniorbanks »

When they say pressing the brake pedal will re-activate do they mean hard braking (emergency stop) or just a touch (like the cruise control), as if its the latter then surely this is pointless?!
erichuyn

Post by erichuyn »

I do hope they can/will update my 2011 model aswell...
Caput Mortuum
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: 18" Interlagos alloys, Dynaudio Excite, Media-In, Climatronic, Cruise Control, Winter pack, Defa engine & interior heater.

Post by Caput Mortuum »

I am hoping the same. It sounds like a software update, so lets keep our fingers crossed.
jammyd
Options: Bluetooth, Cruise Control... and a button in the roof which does not do anything! oh and I have just found I have TPMS which I did not order!

Post by jammyd »

most likely they will not update the MY2011's...

Finally though, Audi and even SEAT have had this for the last 5 years!

2011 Rising Blue 170GT TDI DSG (its on my drive!)
2010 Candy White Roc Now Gone :(
2008 Meteor Grey TT TDI
2005 Deep Blue Golf GT TDI
The Cars before do not matter!
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

intersting article from Steve Sutcliffe at Autocar who is running a long term R

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/stillatt ... o-esp.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

i would agree with that.... i will switch off ESP in mine on a track day. so its not fully off...but i can't say it gives me any probs. when its on, u can defo feel it working, so that is a hindurance.

but this "fully off" thing...is it really that necessaary? are there that many VW GTI/R owners who are have enough talent to make full use of this? I doubt it.

I'll stick to my current system thanks. :)
b0rk
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

I could understand fully off ESP back when manufacturers didn't optimise the setup for the car. However VW have obviously spent many hours getting the setup right tbh I can't think of a everyday situation where I'd want to fully disable the system. The new fully off option sounds as if all he ESP / TCS tricks are disabled, I wonder if XDS as a function of the braking system remains on?
Caput Mortuum
Options: 18" Interlagos alloys, Dynaudio Excite, Media-In, Climatronic, Cruise Control, Winter pack, Defa engine & interior heater.

Post by Caput Mortuum »

I would think that fully off would be that ie. XDS et all off.
The more I think about it, the less I find a need for this.
juniorbanks

Post by juniorbanks »

For day to day driving you shouldn't need to turn it off but if like chungster your taking it on the track then you want to be in control of the car, all the time the engine is cutting power or braking when traction is lost your not going to win anything :)
fun meter
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
Options: MY12, 19" wheels, Leather, RNS510, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Premium mats, MDI...

Post by fun meter »

I suppose its a good idea if you want to take it on a airfield and do like top gear do. Only time I found ESP came on whilst on track was; inside wheel slip on tight fast corners, and in sport mode when surface is a little bumpy and your doing over 100 (cuts power a bit).
tjanum
Options: (in Denmark)
18" Interlagos, ACC, RNS 510 Navi+Dynaudio, Rear tinted windows, Multifunction leather steering wheel, 2Zone electronic climate control, Carpet mats, Flat tyre indicator, Parking sencors, Electrically foldable door mirrors, Bluetooth Preminum, Xenon (range adjustable), Rain sensor, auto-dimming rear view mirror, coming/leaving home lighting function, Alarm with interior protection, Media-In, Catch up/Alcantara upholstery

Post by tjanum »

The real issue with not being able to disable ESP fully is, that on tracks the rear brakes heat up after 20-30 corners and you'll have to pit not to loose your brakes entirely. That's not only annoying but also sort of dangerous :-).

Just this week I was attending an event driving 40 laps in Formula Renaults and 40 laps in Scirocco Cup (950 kg/ 240 bhp), which had ESP disabled mechanically (censor cables unplugged). Afterwards I was allowed to take my own Rocco on the track and after 3 laps my rear brakes gave up completely. Luckily I had been warned by the driving instructor that this would happen, because even when ESP is turned off in my MY2009, the ESP still locks the rear wheels in most corners.

I consider buying the MY2012 just to be able to disable ESP completely......
fun meter
In: Deep Black
Options: MY12, 19" wheels, Leather, RNS510, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Premium mats, MDI...

Post by fun meter »

Rear brakes?

I found only time EBS activates is when you slide the car quite a bit, i.e. if the front understeers heavily, come off the power, back steps out, EBS cuts in. It limits you, but It does what its designed to do.

Other than the above situation, the EBS doesnt cut in on track, because the back end of the car closely follows the front (even on the limit), your pretty much always on the throttle. Coasting into the apex will push the back out and cause EBS to cut in.
I had TCS off, on Wednesday on track, and the car felt less restrictive (in fact, a lot better). Back slides and moves a bit, but EBS doesnt cut in unless its a big slide (you can feel when it does).
1 6 D
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
With a: Manual box
Options: RCD510 with 8 speakers
Climatronic
Cruise Control
tinted rear windows
aerial in rear window
MFA Plus
Multi function steering wheel

Self-added:
Cornering fog lights
Coming Home
Leaving Home
4 stop bulbs at rear
Folding mirrors+ambiente lights+memory

Post by 1 6 D »

I have checked newest ETKA with 868 update and I have found that ABS modules are the same with 2011 models, so maybe it's only change in coding, it could be interesting if it's true

My friend have Golf R MY2011 with one stage ESP, in few weeks he should be able to read coding from Golf R with twwo stage ESP, I will write if i will know something new
TonyR83
Options: Model Year 2011
-19" Talladega
-RNS 510
-cruise control
-volumetric alarm
-mirrors pack
-bluetooth Premium (Rsap)
-light assist
-no ACC = DCC in Italy

Post by TonyR83 »

Any news? I have a Scirocco R my'10, I'd like to improve my car with the two stage esp :D I hope that it is possible throug vag code :) Thanks!

Ordered 15th April
Build week 28 (12-18 July)
Charged 2nd August
Expected arrival 6/15 August
1 6 D
Climatronic
Cruise Control
tinted rear windows
aerial in rear window
MFA Plus

Self-added:
Cornering fog lights
Coming Home
Leaving Home
4 stop bulbs at rear

Post by 1 6 D »

Some people was trying to improve ESP but it's not possible with only coding.
1 6 D
Climatronic
Cruise Control
tinted rear windows
aerial in rear window
MFA Plus

Self-added:
Cornering fog lights
Coming Home
Leaving Home
4 stop bulbs at rear

Post by 1 6 D »

I have found a topic on vwvortex about coding the two-stage turning off ESP:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... P-for-FREE!!!!" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!
zenekor
In: Opal Silver
Options: \◣__◢/

Post by zenekor »

Yep... there's even page calculating new coding based on original long coding give (officially Golf R only)... so question remains which rocco will be first brave to retrocode.

http://www.goapr.com/support/esp-defeat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1 6 D
Climatronic
Cruise Control
tinted rear windows
aerial in rear window
MFA Plus

Self-added:
Cornering fog lights
Coming Home
Leaving Home
4 stop bulbs at rear

Post by 1 6 D »

If ABS module have 1K0907379BL/BJ number it can be made on 100%
Byte 6 have to be changed to 80
Byte 14 have to be changed to 01

Older modules probably can't have this function.
zenekor
In: Opal Silver
Options: \◣__◢/

Post by zenekor »

I have checked this with my 1K0907379AJ and for sure it can't be done. Controller won't accept new coding.