She's finally here..... MORE PICS Pg 3

The place to share pictures and impressions of your new arrival or just show off your motor.
Scott_mac
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Night Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Multifunction Wheel, Bluetooth, Cruise Control

Re: Yippie it's nearly here **now with pics of the outgoing

Post by Scott_mac »

RedTriple8 wrote:Soot,

I notice that this is a bluemotion, how did you get such a short delivery time? When did you order your car? I have been waiting 5 months for a normal GT and the build date is end of April!!!!

Thanks
Delivery times seem to be completely random at the moment.... there are people who ordered end of Feb who are getting their cars this week.

I ordered mine end of Jan and was expecting it in July... i've been told it's being built week after next and should be with me in May!!
Current:
2011 VW Scirocco 1.4TSi DSG
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.1 Desire
1972 VW Beetle 1302S
1967 Lotus Elan +2 130S

Previous:
2008 Toyota Avensis 2.2 D-4D TR
1998 Lotus Elise
1998 Peugeot 106 Rallye
*Deleted to avoid embarrassment*
Sootchucker
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
Options: Bluetooth, RNS-510 Nav, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Puddle lights, covered cup holder, rear air vents (working), door warning lights)

She's finally here.....

Post by Sootchucker »

Hi guys, well finally took delivery on Friday of my brand new Candy White 2.0TDI Bluemotion.

I’ve only driven about 200 miles so far so she’s still very new and tight, but already returning 50.2 mpg (51.5 according to the MFD so much more accurate than my old Golf). I have to say, she’s everything I hoped she would be. I was a little worried that after 5 years ownership of the MK5 Golf, the Rocco wouldn’t be very much different (especially as it shares many interior components), but it’s like chalk and cheese. I loved my Golf, but the Rocco feels much more, planted and well, sort of cosseting (if you know what I mean). More intimate that the Golf and the seats are superb.

Only had her a couple of hours and already started to modify her. Anyway, enough pre-amble, here’s the first few piccies. Better and more artistic ones will follow.

The mods

LED Sidelights

Chromed Exhaust Tips (from a Skoda Yeti)

Anti Slip –Boot Liner

Sliding Cup Holder (an absolute bas*ard to fit)

Chromed DSG Pedals

Rear Cup Holder and air vents (complete with working air ducts to front).

Covered front Storage tray (from a MK5 Golf) – Not an ashtray.

Stainless Steel Sill Trims

Black “R” model fascia surround (prefer this to the silver one it came with)

Still to do.

Door warning lights. I already have the parts and harness made up, just need to get up the courage to take the door cards off a 4 day old car (gulp) ?

Rear reversing camera. One for later in the year with the assistance of a couple of boys off the forums.

RNS-510 Voice control. Need to sort out the additional wiring to get the RNS voice control working, as currently it’s only connected to the factory Bluetooth.

That’s about it to date.

As I said, so far absolutely delighted.

Cheers

Andrew
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Re: She's finally here.....

Post by Shaun »

Looking good,alot of mods in a short time :)
Sootchucker
Options: Bluetooth, RNS-510 Nav, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Puddle lights, covered cup holder, rear air vents (working), door warning lights)

Post by Sootchucker »

Then got the call yesterday to say the wifes new Polo had also just arrived at the dealers, so had to go and have a quick look. Here she is (still in transport mode having just arrived off the transporter an hour before).

Should pick her up next weekend when the wifes private plate details arrive from DVLA.

Spec is.

1.4 DSG SEL - 3 Door in Flash Red

Options

17" Boavista Alloys
Multi Function Steering Wheel
Winter pack (seat heating, headlight washers, heated washer jets, and screen wash fluid sensor)
Convenience pack - Auto Wipers and auto dimming rear view mirror
Climate Control

The RCD-510 that came with the Rocco will also be dropped into this as well.

So I'm now well and truely skint.
cornelce

Post by cornelce »

Looking good and congrats fitting those mods, they're all coming along nicely! Also liking the new Polo, now that she's got her own car, you should hopefully have that piece of mind knowing she's not going to lay a finger on your roc haha.
Shaun
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

Nice too, did you get the offer with the polo of free insurance, free 3 years servicing and the £500 off ?, i was in the dealers the other day looking at this offer.
Sootchucker

Post by Sootchucker »

182_blue wrote:Nice too, did you get the offer with the polo of free insurance, free 3 years servicing and the £500 off ?, i was in the dealers the other day looking at this offer.
Yeah Shaun, and much more :D
Sootchucker

Post by Sootchucker »

cornelce wrote: now that she's got her own car, you should hopefully have that piece of mind knowing she's not going to lay a finger on your roc haha.
Hmmm.. I'll beleive that when I see it. As much as she will love her new Polo, shes also loves the Rocco :cry:
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Those convex alloys on the Polo look very easily scraped - will have to be careful with those. Polo flash red is a far better shade than the one available on the Roc.

How long did the sliding cover take, all in? I have seen a few methods of attack, Did you do the armrest end first method (assuming you did, seeing as you had to do the air vents). Was it a bigger job because of the air vent stuff, needing more stuff stripped out? Is that the satin black coloured sliding cover? Looks a good match. Will be doing this to my new one.

Did the changing of your accelerator pedal throw up any engine fault codes (someone has been advised by their dealer that this would be the case with 2011 models)? Will be changing pedals on my new one.

Will be doing the LED DRLs and getting VAGCOM to change DRLs to sidelights.

If you're taking door cards off, be prepared to buy a few spare lugs/clips - they snap easily. I've had a few times where door cards were removed on the Golf for warranty work and they've hoped I wouldn't notice that some of the lugs were missing because they broke a few and they were out of stock at the dealership.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Just seen the rear air vents ?, did you need to mod the Vent duct ?
Sootchucker

Post by Sootchucker »

maisbitt wrote:Those convex alloys on the Polo look very easily scraped - will have to be careful with those. Polo flash red is a far better shade than the one available on the Roc.

How long did the sliding cover take, all in? I have seen a few methods of attack, Did you do the armrest end first method (assuming you did, seeing as you had to do the air vents). Was it a bigger job because of the air vent stuff, needing more stuff stripped out? Is that the satin black coloured sliding cover? Looks a good match. Will be doing this to my new one.

Did the changing of your accelerator pedal throw up any engine fault codes (someone has been advised by their dealer that this would be the case with 2011 models)? Will be changing pedals on my new one.

Will be doing the LED DRLs and getting VAGCOM to change DRLs to sidelights.

If you're taking door cards off, be prepared to buy a few spare lugs/clips - they snap easily. I've had a few times where door cards were removed on the Golf for warranty work and they've hoped I wouldn't notice that some of the lugs were missing because they broke a few and they were out of stock at the dealership.
Maisbitt,

Answers below.

Agreed about the alloys on the Polo, but to be fair to the wife, her existing Polo (which this one will be replacing) had 16" alloys on, and in 5 years of owning it, she's kept them immaculate.

All in all took about 3½ hours start to finish. I was taking my time as I didn't want to scratch any of the new panels. The sliding cup holder is a bit of a bitch as you have to remove (or at least partially remove) most of the centre console. Once it's out though the air vents were easy. My rear ducts were blocked off at the dash end by a blanking piece at the factory which easliy came out and the 2 piece rear vent assembly then just slipped over and clicked into place. The rear cupholder and actual vents themselves were dead easy, and in themselves could be done in 20 minutes.

The hardest part for me was I've never had a DSG box before and unlike a manual where you can move the gearlever whever you want with the keys out, you can't on a DSG, so had to apply some cunning as I didn't want to remove the DSG selector handle from the shaft in case I couldn't get it back on. As for the colour, yes it's a good match and well pleased. Actually, for a lot of these mods, I jusr followed what Shaun (ex 182_Blue) had done previously (will be copying many of his mods - thanks Shaun) :yes:

Bullsh*t about the padals needing coding. Fitted mine in about 5 minutes flat and no fault codes or warning lights at all. Did buy the proper accelerator removal tool though, which helped immensely.
Sootchucker

Post by Sootchucker »

182_blue wrote:Just seen the rear air vents ?, did you need to mod the Vent duct ?
Shaun, see my answer to maisbitt above for the answer on this. Bascially yes there were blanked, but by an easily removable blanking plug.
whicher
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: 18" Interlagos, 2 Zone Climate, Cruise Control, Paddleshift, Colour MFD, Vienna Leather, Bi-Xenons, Winter Pack, Front Fogs, Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Tinted Glass, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Fixed Price Servicing.

Post by whicher »

Sootchucker wrote:Bullsh*t about the padals needing coding. Fitted mine in about 5 minutes flat and no fault codes or warning lights at all. Did buy the proper accelerator removal tool though, which helped immensely.
Interesting to know that even though my dealer's been superb they're still partial to the odd bit of BS! Interesting why they'd tell me that as they're not charging me to fit them. lol
Ordered: 27th February 2011
VW Confirmed Build Week: 13
Built: 28th March 2011
Delivered to Dealer: 21st April 2011
Pickup: 30th April 2011

Time from order to delivery: 2months 3 days :D
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

????, Your posts seems to have been merged !
Sootchucker

Post by Sootchucker »

TBH, I'd asked my dealer and he'd said it would probably need coding as well, so did it in the dealers forecourt (with one of the techs watching !). My theory was if I buggered something up, it could be wheeled into one of the service bays and they could connect their VAS to sort the problem.

They did conect the VAS afterwards anyway, and were surprised themselves to see no error codes !

Obviously goes without saying, keys out of the ignition during this process.
Sootchucker

Post by Sootchucker »

182_blue wrote:????, Your posts seems to have been merged !
Ooh.... magic.

I suspect a moderator at work :D

Sorry if I was supposed to post in my other thread (slaps myself hard) :D
maisbitt
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

I might've considered doing the rear vents if I ever had any rear seat passengers, but it's a vey rare occurrence for me, and as I specced the smoking pack, I don't know what the back end of the armrest will look like. I think it has a rear ashtray/cubby so maybe it won't look too plain.

It's still a mystery why VW wont put in or even offer as an option the covered cup holder, seeing as they use those parts in the same plant for the EOS, it would add £20 to the list price of the car at most.

Looks like I could do the covered cup holder a little quicker without the complication of a DSG gear stick and no rear vents to do - maybe 2 hours taking quite a bit of care.

Is the pedal tool worth it's weight in gold for the faff without it? Relieved about the false info with pedal replacement throwing up faults.

Sorted for VAGCOM yet? Borrowed/bought the real deal Rosstech, or cheaper means of achieving the same thing?
ayeaye
Options: Candy White Scirocco - August 2009 - March 2013
Now replaced with a MINI Cooper S

Post by ayeaye »

maisbitt wrote: Is the pedal tool worth it's weight in gold for the faff without it? Relieved about the false info with pedal replacement throwing up faults.
Absolutely worth having - would have taken a lot longer to remove the accelerator pedal without it, but could be done.
Sootchucker

Post by Sootchucker »

maisbitt wrote:I might've considered doing the rear vents if I ever had any rear seat passengers, but it's a vey rare occurrence for me, and as I specced the smoking pack, I don't know what the back end of the armrest will look like. I think it has a rear ashtray/cubby so maybe it won't look too plain.

It's still a mystery why VW wont put in or even offer as an option the covered cup holder, seeing as they use those parts in the same plant for the EOS, it would add £20 to the list price of the car at most.

Looks like I could do the covered cup holder a little quicker without the complication of a DSG gear stick and no rear vents to do - maybe 2 hours taking quite a bit of care.

Is the pedal tool worth it's weight in gold for the faff without it? Relieved about the false info with pedal replacement throwing up faults.

Sorted for VAGCOM yet? Borrowed/bought the real deal Rosstech, or cheaper means of achieving the same thing?
Yeah, I don't usually have rear seat passengers either, but when I do, it's usually (shock horror - prepared to be flamed) - a four legged passenger. Our Spaniel Jake. With the Rocco having no opening rear windows (unlike the Golf), though it might get a bit stuffy for him. Did use to use the air ventson the Golf for this. Whilst the flow through them isn't brilliant, it goes give a nice breeze in the back.

I "think", although stand to be corrected, that the smokers pack only gives you the fornt ashtray. As I understand it, the rear piece of the armrest is the same, i.e. no vents, and just a cubby hole. Like you I don't know why the EOS has it and the Scirocco doesn't. Surely they are both supposed to be "semi" premium models ?

TBH the airvents only added about 15 minutes to the install. The real pain was reoving the centre console !

If you like, drop me a PM with your address, and I''ll loan you my pedal removal tool. Now i've used it, it will just be sitting in my tool box until I sell the car. If you can just return it afterwards, and I'll make it available to anyone who needs it, but it's up to you ?

Already have the Hex-CAN genine Ross Tech cable anyway, so have already disabled DRL's (just side and tail lights), added needle sweep on the instruments, added the large additional digital speedo to the dash, alarm chrip on arming, and sorted our the coming home lights so you don't have to flash the headlights to get them on.
maisbitt

Post by maisbitt »

Sootchucker: Those VAGCOM changes are the exact things I want to do to mine, Just need to find a friendly local VAGCOM owner (Newcastle area) to do mine for a fee. Looks simple enough when you know where to look, but I don't think i'll get £200+ value from buying one.

Digital readout - you mean in mph? Might leave mine for kmph in case I take the ferry over to the continent.

Might have to ask you where you made your changes, in case the 2011 controller is different from previous versions if I do manage to get hold of VAGCOM or a local user, or even if I persuade the dealers to do it (they might, if they have instructions on what I want changed).

I'm under the impression that the smokers pack gives you a rear ashtray as well as the front (according to the VW pricelist document which lists all the options)