What an expensive car....

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Jane
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Gone forever.... :-((

Audi TTS... Making me :-)) again

Re: What an expensive car....

Post by Jane »

stephen_belfast wrote:if I'd have known it was going to be this expensive I would have got myself a basic Golf TDI and bought ipads with the remaining budget.
I don't understand why you did'nt realise it was going to be expensive ? Surely if you had done the maths beforehand you would have realised the running costs, with the only unknown entity being the fuel maybe, everything else, lease costs/car tax/service costs/ New tyres etc are pretty transparent when you buy a car.

Even i worked it out and i'm a muppet. :D
rickj
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: leather,dsg,scirocco sills,bury bluetooth,mdi.

Post by rickj »

I think you have ruffled a few feathers on here my friend I agree it was probably sensible to budget for running a r model ,but with fuel cost going through th roof everyone is hit in the pocket ,although iam happy with fuel return on my 20tsi I averaged over 42 on motorway at 70/75 plus it's always 30+ round town ,not sure a r would match that despite what my fellow members say but a lot is down to driving style, you will have problems getting out of lease agreement ,yes it can be done but expect to be hammered by the settlement fee.
Shaun
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

I don't consider it a balls out performance car, it's a day to day car that I Like, and goes quickish when i want it to, oh and mine is all paid for with no finance or lease on it :D
juniorbanks
In: Rising Blue

Post by juniorbanks »

Oh & my money saving advice is get the Roc REVO'd then run it on 99RON :yes: £5 more per tank but i get alot more miles out of it :) oh and it goes like stink
b0rk
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

Cuprabob wrote:To be honest I would have thought an R would be a good compromise between running costs and performance.
What a well made point, virtually everything else in the same performance category offers higher fuel consumption. As someone in the high milage club myself getting something properly quick eg 911, M3, RS6, M5 for everyday use would have made my bank manager sad, 30mpg to the gallon same servicing and tyre costs as a diesel can't really complain. :nod:

Next time tbh it'll be a cheapish diesel something for everyday and a atom or x-bow for the weekend.
littleyellowspider
Options: Black Leather

Post by littleyellowspider »

Whats '80pw'?

Why would you want multiple iPads?
ayc1985
Options: Parking Sensors
Pano Sunroof
Cruise Control
Vienna Leather
Black 18' Talladegas

To come:

Sat Nav
Bluetooth

Post by ayc1985 »

I traded up from a 140 Diesel Roc to the R and i do about 250 miles a week at the moment. It was a big jump and loss in terms of the amount of petrol I am spending keeping it going. I spent about 2 weeks racking my brains and doing my finances making sure I could cover the hit on the car. To be fair my company pays for my mileage but I wanted the R pretty badly and decided it was worth spending the extra £550 a year on fuel knowing it's keeping me happy. The R is a gives very sensible consumption and a near supercar performance. To be fair you should have though a bit more about the outlay on fuel and your personal mileage before you bought it.
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

littleyellowspider wrote:Whats '80pw'?
£80 per week in fuel
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

Actually its all rather hilarious. Here we have someone saying the R is NOT a performance car...just a nice car.

Yet few weeks back another owner was saying he could do 0-60 in under 5 secs and keep up with a 700bhp RS6!!!!

But really the R is just a fat arsed Golf with cosmetic surgery. And the Golf is the Peoples car. But hey ho ETTO and all that.
littleyellowspider

trix wrote:
littleyellowspider wrote:Whats '80pw'?
£80 per week in fuel
At 250 miles per week, 20mpg and £1.40 a litre you're looking at £80 a week. Are those really the stats of an R?
ayc1985
Options: Parking Sensors
Pano Sunroof
Cruise Control
Vienna Leather
Black 18' Talladegas

To come:

Sat Nav
Bluetooth

Post by ayc1985 »

Depends on how you drive it.

55 litre tank at 1.33 for V power is about £73.

Most of my miles are motorway and I average about 30 mpg.
littleyellowspider

Absolutely.

Your £73 gets you 363 miles. The OP is getting 250 miles for his £80.

My point is, the OP is complaining that the car is expensive. However, it clearly doesn't need to be as expensive as he's making out. Your 250 miles cost you £50 in V-Power, so why is his costing £80?

Most cars will be expensive to run if you drive them like they're leased.

Oops, it is leased, isn't it?
Last edited by littleyellowspider on Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAR

Post by DAR »

I was getting 30-32 mpg from my R, and i enjoyed the car. the R is quite a frugal performance car.

try a scooby and tell me the R is expensive............
Chungster

Post by Chungster »

It all depends on driving styles.

A scooby takes the biscuit on mpg...lucky I went thru my gold wheels / big spoiler phase when fuel costs were below £1 per litre.
dinger19
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensors,mats,bluetooth.

Post by dinger19 »

At the end of the day what ever Scirocco model you drive you should enjoy it and no matter what car you drive you will always be hit in the pocket in one form or another.:)

personally I prefer tractor power. :lol:
Actus Reus

Post by Actus Reus »

Is it my imagination or does this thread not echo a very short column in Autocar about the R where the journo (Sutcliffe I think) moans about the cost of unleaded for his R?

From a casual observer's point of view this thread is quite amusing though...I'm just waiting for somebody to suggest they get their tape-measures out.... ;)
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Reminds me of that Harry Enfield sketch "I do believe I am condierably richer than yoww" (because I run an R). Each to their own. Sacrifices have to be made somewhere, some would rather have an extra few sessions down the pub every week or have more to spend on their holiday and drive a diesel (me!). If I had an R, there's no way i'd have a clean license!
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
stephen_belfast

Post by stephen_belfast »

Thanks guys for your interesting responses to what was a spare of the moment thought.

From the replies several things are obvious...there are knobs everywhere and many of them drive Scirocco R's.

This thread is now about arrogance and is quite frankly amusing. Yellow spiders comment makes him/her the biggest knob to reply and he/she, like many others should refrain from being arrogant about 'leasing' as this is simply a personal choice and no more. Maybe he/she may spend all their wages on their Scirocco and thus it can be seen as their 'wealth' but you can't make assumptions about another persons choice. In my experience arrogance is usually a sign of an inadequate mental place so I feel pity for all those replies that have a hint of arrogance... most of the responders.

The fact remains...a scirocco R is fast & some owners should try to enjoy their car without being knobs. You should try racing or cruising alongside an S5 Stronic or a 911 GT3 or possibly M6 and think of your emotions....interesting thought.

This will clearly be challenging for some people but I would like you all to at least try.
Shaun
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

Chungster

Post by Chungster »

stephen_belfast wrote:
there are knobs everywhere and many of them drive Scirocco R's.
You said it..... :yes:
stephen_belfast wrote:
The fact remains...a scirocco R is fast & some owners should try to enjoy their car without being knobs. You should try racing or cruising alongside an S5 Stronic or a 911 GT3 or possibly M6 and think of your emotions....interesting thought.

This will clearly be challenging for some people but I would like you all to at least try.
Well lets see...

S5 Tiptronic = £45k. 345ps. Actually i'd fancy my chances against one!

911 GT3 = £90k. 435hp. Yeah...I'd give it a go...even tho for a car costing 3 times as much as mine, I'd sure hope it kicks my arse and then some! How f'ing funny would it be if a car 3 times cheaper can keep up with it.

M6 = £80k+ (when new). 507ps.

All I can add to that is one of these.

This will be my last post on this thread as some people clearly don't have a clue and really should be using public transport instead. :)