Restaurant recommendation for Chinatown

Every site needs an off topic forum, right?
Ian_Mac
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS 510, Leather, Winter Pack, Reverse Sensors, Electric Seats, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Xenons, Electric Folding Mirrors, Metal Pedals. Sadly gone now. :-(

Restaurant recommendation for Chinatown

Post by Ian_Mac »

Evening all

I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a real quality restaurant in London's Chinatown.

The folks are heading to London for a weekend at the end of March as part of their 40th wedding anniversary celebrations. We're meeting up with them on the Sat night and Chinese is their choice for the evening meal.

We've tried many restaurants there over the years and to be honest they often seem to look much nicer from the outside than in.

Back in November we tried Haozhan again, food was ok but overall nothing spectacular.

So, if there is a restaurant there which is a bit special please share.
:)
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Re: Restaurant recommendation for Chinatown

Post by Chungster »

in all honesty mate chinatown now is not what it used to be. Food is very poor...hence me and family stopped going years ago.

Hakkasan is prolly the one u went to. I went to it's sister restaurant Yauatcha and spent a few hundred easy.

http://www.yauatcha.com/about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Decor is very funky. The Dim Sum was different and better but then you do pay for it. Either way it was much better than the rubbish in CT.
Ian_Mac
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS 510, Leather, Winter Pack, Reverse Sensors, Electric Seats, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Xenons, Electric Folding Mirrors, Metal Pedals. Sadly gone now. :-(

Post by Ian_Mac »

Just had a look on their website and I see what you mean about the funky decor. I notice there's no prices on the menus which is a little worrying! :eyepop:

This is the place we went in Nov, http://haozhan.co.uk/ I just don't think it'll be the folks cup if tea.

What were the prices at Yauatcha roughly speaking?
:yes:
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

ahh....that one is actually on Gerrard Street (CT!)

:D

Err...prices..not for feint hearted. 4 of us...not that many dishes..£200 i spent! (sister graduation so i treated her) But I couldn't resist the lobster with asparagus dish for £25 lol. Was in happy mood!

Actually Hakkasan is even more expensive last time i looked on the reviews.

Oh you need to pre book for Yauatcha btw. Can't just turn up and ask for table. It's rather busy in evenings.
skyblues11
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: cruise control, front foglight, Multi.f.steering wheel,
tyre indicator

Post by skyblues11 »

avoid buffets!

and if you have to, eat the expensive stuff like prawns and salmon. stay on the fish or lamb.

make the most of your money.

also Ian, try a dish called 'the pheonix's talon'...you'll love it. if you like vinager, ask for the white one.
padawanno
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box

Post by padawanno »

Hi
As stated China Town is probably not the best place for a great meal.

Hakkasan and Yuatcha are very expensive - they are one michelin star restaurants.

Here are some of my fave chinese restaurants in London - I have only been for Dim sum and not evening meal so their food/service may not be the same.
Yauatcha-Soho- 1 michelin star - very good food - but very pricey < second mortage maybe required> !!! Also in hardens guide - recommended
Pearl Liang ( nr Paddington station)- my fave restautant for dim sum. Good food and reasonable prices ( if you do go get the map of their website - and follow the directions- you may get lost !!!) No michelin star but in Michelin guide and also in Hardens guide recommended
Royal China / Royal China Club - chain of restaurants dotted all over London - food is good, not quite Hakkasan or Yuatcha prices - in hardens guide - recommended ( the one i have been to is the Baker st branch)
Yum Cha - Camden - Food was good at a very resonable price
Phoenix Palace- Nr Baker Street - Food was good and at reasonable prices - In hardens guide

I know this post may be a little late - but maybe useful for future reference

Enjoy and bon appetite if you go
Ian_Mac

Post by Ian_Mac »

Ended up going to Imperial China on Lisle St.

The folks really enjoyed it so a bug thumbs up. Service was absolutely spot on.

Worst bit was when we came out and police had roads closed due to the protests in Trafalgar Sq, luckily we only saw the aftermath with banks being smashed up etc.