Sat Nav directions

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
SimplyGed
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Folding mirrors, RNS510 DVD Sat Nav, Telephone prep, Rear parking sensors

Sat Nav directions

Post by SimplyGed »

I recently tried out my new sat nav for the first time (RNS510) on a trip from Liverpool to Leicester - wanted to see how good it was. Unfortunately, it didn't come up with the best route (i.e. fastest). The route I normally take is M6 to J15, A500 the A50, finally get on the M1. However the SatNav wanted me to go via the M6 toll, or along A roads off M6 J16. I tried turning off the different route options to see what it recalculated, but it was never anything like the best route. I used to use the sat nav app on my mobile phone (Nokia 5800) and it always gave me the J15/A500 route.

Has anyone else found the directions are a bit rubbish? Are the V7 maps/newer firmware better?
This is not an automated signature. I have to type it in manually every time
nd10
With a: Manual box

Re: Sat Nav directions

Post by nd10 »

SimplyGed wrote:I recently tried out my new sat nav for the first time (RNS510) on a trip from Liverpool to Leicester - wanted to see how good it was. Unfortunately, it didn't come up with the best route (i.e. fastest). The route I normally take is M6 to J15, A500 the A50, finally get on the M1. However the SatNav wanted me to go via the M6 toll, or along A roads off M6 J16. I tried turning off the different route options to see what it recalculated, but it was never anything like the best route. I used to use the sat nav app on my mobile phone (Nokia 5800) and it always gave me the J15/A500 route.

Has anyone else found the directions are a bit rubbish? Are the V7 maps/newer firmware better?

I have version 7 and my quickest and best route anywhere south from here is A19 via the Tyne Tunnel and straight down on it to Boroughbridge (Jct49 A1M) yet all the way along the route, until south of middlesbrough, it keeps wanting to direct me across and down the A1/A1M. Obviously I don't need to use it for this but it makes you wonder whether other, unknown routes, you are being sent the 'wrong' way.