RNS510 Updating and Experiences

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
juniorbanks
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box

Re: RNS510 Updating and Experiences

Post by juniorbanks »

Not all RNS510 have the hold setup functionality, the easiest way if you have access to one is to use a Vagcom.

In regard to maps, it's like roulette as to what the dealers put on your system, mine despite at the time V5 being out shipped with v4 as that's all the dealer had. I yes that's me had to source it which when I got round to it was 6.1 so I bought one off eBay and job done. The dealer will allow you to buy the maps at some hugely over priced cost but they will not supply. Its a real grey area. If your tech savy a quick google will point you to a download of 7.1 bit make sure the info matches what RW1 posted above otherwise it's not worth it !! Or buy it off eBay if you just can't be bothered with all the hassle.
SimplyGed
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Folding mirrors, RNS510 DVD Sat Nav, Telephone prep, Rear parking sensors

Post by SimplyGed »

I got my car this morning :D and the RNS510 was not setup - it had no map and was in German. It kept prompting me to enter the DVD before I could do anything. The dealer got the service guy to reset the system and install the DVD. However, I'm positive I had the new splash screen when I gave it to him, but now I get a different one?!?! Possibly the older version? (More colour and bigger image. Sorry - no photo).

Is this correct? I've tried getting the version number (holding Setup when turning on) but it doesn't come up, so I'm assuming the bit is not set.
Also, the dealer didn't give me a DVD and said I wouldn't need one?!?! Are they within their rights not to give me a disc?

I might try and download a V7 disc from the internet and see what changes.
This is not an automated signature. I have to type it in manually every time
b0rk
In: Candy White
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

You should have been given the disk.

Can you enter a 7 digit postcode?
yellowplum
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Post by yellowplum »

essexbloke wrote:Cheers bianco gave it a try got the radio station bit but nothing else. I only got the car end of December and wondering if I should have got V7 as the disc that was loaded was V6 ?
If you have version 6.0 there is a recall on it.

You need to upgrade the firmware to enable 7 digit postcode and use version 7.0 of the disc. This is what I did to get full functionality working. However I personally wouldn't use beta FW updates, currently the unit shipped with 2660 and now using 2720.

Currently FW is up to beta 3890/3896/3898/3894/3890/3890.

(c) CONTINENTAL Wetzlar
CdTreeBuilder version 3.06 is used.
--------------------------------------------
#CD:P 0 0 5 . 1 8 2 . 3 0 1
#DATE:2010-12-21
#Project: VWRNS
#Author: RoNe
#Steckbrief: C_EU_10.344_t120 C10/C6
#CommentStart:
This is a SWL CD for VW delivery.

#CommentEnd:
#Integrationphase: Delivery cw22/11 C10/C6-samples
#VwSwPartNumber:1T0035680D/1T0035680D/3T0035680B/7F0035680A/7E0035680A/1T0035680F/1T0035680G/3T0035680C/3T0035680D
#VwSwIndex:3890/3896/3898/3894/3890/3890
#AppsBuild:C_EU_10.344_t120 C10/C6
essexbloke
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
Options: Folding mirrors, Satnav, dynaudio, leather interior

Post by essexbloke »

Yellowplum: Its version 6.1 and they didnt give me the DVD said the same to me as they did to "simplyged" you wont need the disc. Sounds like all the dealers are doing the same installing it from a master DVD.
yellowplum
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Post by yellowplum »

essexbloke wrote:Yellowplum: Its version 6.1 and they didnt give me the DVD said the same to me as they did to "simplyged" you wont need the disc. Sounds like all the dealers are doing the same installing it from a master DVD.
As far as I am aware a disc is supplied to everyone, the simplest way to work that out is to contact VW and ask the question. 6.1 is fine, however if you had version 6.0 there is a recall to replace the disc to 6.1.
Shaun
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

SimplyGed wrote:I got my car this morning :D and the RNS510 was not setup - it had no map and was in German. It kept prompting me to enter the DVD before I could do anything. The dealer got the service guy to reset the system and install the DVD. However, I'm positive I had the new splash screen when I gave it to him, but now I get a different one?!?! Possibly the older version? (More colour and bigger image. Sorry - no photo).

Is this correct? I've tried getting the version number (holding Setup when turning on) but it doesn't come up, so I'm assuming the bit is not set.
Also, the dealer didn't give me a DVD and said I wouldn't need one?!?! Are they within their rights not to give me a disc?

I might try and download a V7 disc from the internet and see what changes.
do you have this splash ?

SimplyGed
Options: Folding mirrors, RNS510 DVD Sat Nav, Telephone prep, Rear parking sensors

Post by SimplyGed »

I did have - before they took the car away to load the DVD. Now it's a colour picture with just Volkswagen written across the screen. I'll try and get a photo uploaded today.

The car was built 52-2009 so I'm assuming it is suitable for latest firmware and maps.
Shaun
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

Above is the latest software splash screen !, seems they have downgraded the software for some reason ?

I assume it now looks like this (just the screen, ignore the unit)

Last edited by Shaun on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
SimplyGed

Post by SimplyGed »

182_blue wrote:Above is the latest software splash screen !, seems they have downgraded the software for some reason ?
When I got the car, the RNS was in German and prompting me for the DVD whenever I tried to use the maps etc. The dealer said he didn't have a DVD in stock he could use - but then found one a bit later and got the service guys to load it. Looks like they only had a v6.x DVD, instead of the latest V7. :(

I'm going to ring them and get him to order one for me...we all want the latest version, right? :)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

The V6 map should not affect the splash screen, this if the unit firmware, which it looks like they have lowered ?
SimplyGed

Post by SimplyGed »

182_blue wrote:The V6 map should not affect the splash screen, this if the unit firmware, which it looks like they have lowered ?
Could the "Restore Factory Settings" have done this?

I know Restore Factory Settings usually just removes any user settings rather than firmware and that it is rare that any hardware stores a copy of it's original firmware - and can restore it - but this might be one of those rare occassions.
b0rk
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

yellowplum wrote:As far as I am aware a disc is supplied to everyone, the simplest way to work that out is to contact VW and ask the question.
The dealers have to order and pay for the disk separately to the car, much like ipod leads. Now not supplying the disk would save the dealer money not that they would do such things. My last call to VW CS before Christmas confirmed that dealers should supply the map disk with factory fitted rns510's, each disk is apparently licensed for installation on one car only.
BAIKAR

Post by BAIKAR »

after entering the hidden set up menu when i check the version it says 7034 or something like that. Is that 7.1 or should it say version 7.1?

I dont have the postcode feature.
ayeaye
Options: Candy White Scirocco - August 2009 - March 2013
Now replaced with a MINI Cooper S

Post by ayeaye »

The v7 maps are 7333 - I suspect you have 6.1 maps. 7333 has 7 digit postcodes (it was user error when I didn't get them working before) anything before that will only do 4/5 digit postcode lookup.
BAIKAR

Post by BAIKAR »

I haven't tried the sat nav that much but where is the postcode entered. When I go to new destination I have city, street, number. Is it located somewhere else. The rns510 was made in jan this year so I'd have thought it was up to date with 7.1.
ayeaye

Post by ayeaye »

Instead of a town name, enter the postcode.

As people will tell you, if you get one from the dealer it's a lottery which map version you get - all that they come with from the factory is a certain hardware and firmware version as far as I'm aware. So it would be the seller who put the map on probably.
BAIKAR

Post by BAIKAR »

ok tried entering the post code today and selected the town/p.cd option. I entered BT12 and was then presented with options for the 5th digit.

Should I be able to enter all 7 digits for every destination or does it not always work?
ayeaye

Post by ayeaye »

BAIKAR wrote:ok tried entering the post code today and selected the town/p.cd option. I entered BT12 and was then presented with options for the 5th digit.

Should I be able to enter all 7 digits for every destination or does it not always work?
Just to make sure you weren't doing what I was doing - it's not an intuitive interface!

I got as far as AB12 3, and thought that was the end of it - but if you have the v7 maps, you press the A-Z button again to go back to letters and finish entering the postcode. The way the interface is designed, I thought it was finished at AB12 3 because of the comma, but apparently not.

Worth check cos it's not immediately obvious.

Cheers.
yellowplum

Post by yellowplum »

Has anyone updated to the latest firmware? I read somewhere that version 3970 will be the last update to the unit and that any firmware released from version 4000 onwards is for the new D unit which hasn't been released. Although somewhere on an Italian forum they spoke that version 4000+ would be installable on the C unit.

Anyone know anything about this?