RNS510 SatNav DVD

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
SimplyGed
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Folding mirrors, RNS510 DVD Sat Nav, Telephone prep, Rear parking sensors

RNS510 SatNav DVD

Post by SimplyGed »

Does the RNS510 sat nav run from the DVD or from the HDD? I have ordered the RNS510 standard (i.e. no cd changer or dynaudio)
Speaking to a colleague who has a SEAT Cupra R, his does not have a hard drive and he has copied the DVD to an SD card and runs it from that. His build week was approx 26/2010. Mine was 52/2010 (collecting on Sat :D )

Is this the same case with the VW?

He has seen it mentioned somewhere that only 2011 builds have the built-in HDD with the RNS510. I can't find any information about it - the VW site says it does have a HDD and you can use the DVD to watch films - the SEAT website says the same thing.

Cheers
This is not an automated signature. I have to type it in manually every time
juniorbanks
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box

Re: RNS510 SatNav DVD

Post by juniorbanks »

Im sure there are many threads RE this, but if you have ordered the RNS510 then you have a 30GB HDD, this is nothing new on 2011 builds its been that way well certainly since mine (MY10.5) and probably before that. Yes you can play movies from it (i believe only WMA format ones), yes you can copy the DVD map disk to it (takes anywhere between 20 mins and an hour) you can also put DVD's straight into it and watch them, i wont go into detail as you get a chunky manual for that :D

EDIT: you can run the maps from the disk if you want, there is no requirement to install them to the HD.
SimplyGed
In: Deep Black
Options: Folding mirrors, RNS510 DVD Sat Nav, Telephone prep, Rear parking sensors

Post by SimplyGed »

That's exactly what I had thought and understood. But when you get someone who questions it, it's always nice to get confirmation from a fellow Roccer :D

Thanks !
This is not an automated signature. I have to type it in manually every time
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

juniorbanks wrote:Im sure there are many threads RE this, but if you have ordered the RNS510 then you have a 30GB HDD, this is nothing new on 2011 builds its been that way well certainly since mine (MY10.5) and probably before that. Yes you can play movies from it (i believe only WMA format ones), yes you can copy the DVD map disk to it (takes anywhere between 20 mins and an hour) you can also put DVD's straight into it and watch them, i wont go into detail as you get a chunky manual for that :D

EDIT: you can run the maps from the disk if you want, there is no requirement to install them to the HD.
Sorry, are you saying you can play movies from the HD ?
juniorbanks

Post by juniorbanks »

182_blue wrote:Sorry, are you saying you can play movies from the HD ?
Hey Blue, yes they have to be in WMV (Windows Media Video) i incorrectly specified WMA above, WMA files are Audio files, but these can also be used instead of MP3 but can be larger in terms of filesize. I dont have the specs to hand i will have a dig around tonight and get the encoding details such as what dimensions they need to be encoded to and what the Framerate needs to be.

EDIT: So spent half hour going through the guide to make the WMV files to find they dont work, called the guy that gave me the information and apparently it worked on the beta firmware he had at the time but never made it to the final release !? this was about a year ago. He just tested his old files in his Golf running the latest firmware for a rev B and now they are hidden (not compatible)
Last edited by juniorbanks on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryy
In: Viper Green
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

I'd have highly recommended the Dynaudio though :(
b0rk
In: Candy White
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

SimplyGed wrote:Does the RNS510 sat nav run from the DVD or from the HDD? I have ordered the RNS510 standard (i.e. no cd changer or dynaudio)
Speaking to a colleague who has a SEAT Cupra R, his does not have a hard drive and he has copied the DVD to an SD card and runs it from that. His build week was approx 26/2010. Mine was 52/2010 (collecting on Sat :D )
Cheers
The seat media system from 2009 onwards is based off the vw RNS310/315 which is a hard disk less system with a 5" touch screen.
Seat basically ditched the expensive rns510 unit for a cheaper alternative.
Shaun
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

juniorbanks wrote:
182_blue wrote:Sorry, are you saying you can play movies from the HD ?
Hey Blue, yes they have to be in WMV (Windows Media Video) i incorrectly specified WMA above, WMA files are Audio files, but these can also be used instead of MP3 but can be larger in terms of filesize. I dont have the specs to hand i will have a dig around tonight and get the encoding details such as what dimensions they need to be encoded to and what the Framerate needs to be.

EDIT: So spent half hour going through the guide to make the WMV files to find they dont work, called the guy that gave me the information and apparently it worked on the beta firmware he had at the time but never made it to the final release !? this was about a year ago. He just tested his old files in his Golf running the latest firmware for a rev B and now they are hidden (not compatible)
No firmware that I am aware of has ever allowed the use of USB, SD or the HD to play video files.
juniorbanks

Post by juniorbanks »

182_blue wrote:No firmware that I am aware of has ever allowed the use of USB, SD or the HD to play video files.
Its bugging him now so he is looking into it, all i remember is watching family guy playing off an SD card about this time last year ?!
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Have you seen it working yourself ?, could he have had an external player of some sort connected to the video in ?, as I say never seen anyone do this and I moderate on VW Navi forum
Last edited by Shaun on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juniorbanks

Post by juniorbanks »

To be fair he has been known to "blag" so it wouldnt surprise me if it was a DVD, i want to know what these specs are he sent me ... they are for the RNS510, but without a built in decoder for those file types its all irrelevant ?! Sorry Blue i think i believe i was mugged off ... Damn Golf owners ..