Valve cover oil leak

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
langley182
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Valve cover oil leak

Post by langley182 »

Noticed some oily residue around the gasket between the valve cover and the cylinder head area.
The engine is relatively clean and obviously only a year old so it was easy to notice this definite oil residue. It's not pouring out by any means, almost just some seepage.
It's definitely not spillage from pouring oil in the filler hole.
The car is running A OK. Oil level is fine, oil temp and pressure all ok.
Obviously I will take a few photos so people know what I'm looking at.
I literally popped the plastic engine cover off and looked in, so it's not hard to see.
My only concern recently is that after I've been driving the car hard for abit then stop and open my door I get a waft of this kind of burning smell. It's not really a plasticy or oily smell, I just cant seem to figure it out.
Don't think it's the brakes or tires. It's from under the body.
I do have some dead pheasant guts on my backbox but they are pretty much all burnt out now so I don't think it's that either!! Ha
Anyways. I'll get some pics and wud b good to hear if anyone else has this 'leak'
A trip to dealers will require me to put my old air box on and remove remap. But looks like that's what's gonna happen!
Lang.
langley182

Valve cover oil leak

Post by langley182 »

Mike_89

2.0 tsi Oil seapage on cam/valve cover gasket

Post by Mike_89 »

Hi all

New to the forum and after some advice please, I bought a used scirocco 2 weeks ago it's a 2.0 tsi 210 DSG model and there's one or two things that concern me. Firstly last night I had a proper look under the bonnet, I removed the engine cover and noticed oil seeping out of the cam/ valve cover, it's not excessive by any means i.e. some oil residue covered in dust/ dirt round the edge, but doesn't seem right for an engine that's less than 2 years old and done 8000 miles, I've done a bit of research into this and some say a bit of seepage is normal aslong as its not excessive. The oil level is also fine. Would any very kind people mind checking theirs to see if it's a similar story to put my mind at ease. Also I have noticed that the engine seems to misfire ever so slightly when starting up from cold is this normal? as once started theres no sign of a misfire whatsoever, this doesn't happen every time I start up from cold but again worries me.