How does DCC (dynamic chassie control) work?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
SwedRoc
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Sport pack, Premium pack, panorama glass roof, Dynaudio, RCD510. RS6 18" winter wheels, Interlagos 18" summer wheels, H&R -35mm kit. Full R kit. Custom 3" SS exhaust. Full carbon mirror caps. And bonnet gas struts! ;-)

Post by SwedRoc »

Hello!

Maybe this month's airhead award but seriously, how does the DCC work technically? Is it hydraulic or electromagnetic or witchcraft? It is included in the Sport+Premium package I have ordered. Will it only affect handling in terms of stiffness or even ride height (like Citroën)? You who have got it - are you happy with the function of the different modes Normal/Sport/Comfort? One thing I haven't thought too much about yet is chassis mods but now I figure I might want a -25mm lowering spring kit but how will this work with DCC? The dampers will be running outside the designed normal level thus reduce ride quality and handling. A rule of thumb is to change springs and dampers at the same time to get dampers designed for the spring height at normal level. A compressed damper will behave very differently to one that is in its designed normal state.
Actus Reus
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Re: How does DCC (dynamic chassie control) work?

Post by Actus Reus »

Electromagnetic system isn't it? Metal particles suspended in the oil of the damper which change their alignment when you pass a current through them. Plenty on here run lowered springs - no idea if they're using DCC, though I presume they are.
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Audi have the magnetic fluid system, VW have the hydraulic "ACC" (it's called ACC in the UK). You can tell the difference between the modes, and seems to work well most of the time. It's standard equipment for most of the UK models - not sure if i'd have specced it for £600ish though.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

http://www.my-gti.com/2653/volkswagen-d ... d-function" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SwedRoc
Options: Sport pack, Premium pack, panorama glass roof, Dynaudio, RCD510. RS6 18" winter wheels, Interlagos 18" summer wheels, H&R -35mm kit. Full R kit. Custom 3" SS exhaust. Full carbon mirror caps. And bonnet gas struts! ;-)

Post by SwedRoc »

ACC would be a seriously confusing name as it generally means Automatic Climate Control... are you sure? In Ireland VW call it DCC as rest of Europe.

Is the general opinion on this forum that the roc sits too high? My current car is dropped -35mm and runs 18" with 40-profile rubber. It's a comfortable ride when I drive alone but as soon as there is a passenger in the car it gets too hard and seriously uncomfy over sleeping policemen and potholes. So even though I appreciate the bold fat "integrated" look of a lowered car I don't want to risk having another "single mans car". :?

/SwedRoc
maisbitt
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

SwedRoc wrote:ACC would be a seriously confusing name as it generally means Automatic Climate Control... are you sure? In Ireland VW call it DCC as rest of Europe.
/SwedRoc
In the UK "ACC" stands for Adaptive Chassis Control on the system you call DCC.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
langley182
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

Post by langley182 »

Looking back I would not have bothered speccing acc dcc as I eventually replaced it all with coilovers as I wanted to go lower than what springs alone could offer.
Don't get me wrong acc worked great and felt great, I just wanted to go way lower.
Your right about having dampers suited to the springs and height.
Altjought mine felt fine on -35mm h&r's and stock dampers, the full coilovers feel so much plusher and handling is great.
SwedRoc

Post by SwedRoc »

I didn't have an issue with making a choice about DCC, as it was included anyway in a very comprehensive package at a very low extra cost (roughly 1700 quid) for Sport+Premium. I think VW have different option packages in different countries. All cars sold in Sweden have the "winter package" for example, would be a rather useless car without it given our climate. I will make a list in a separate thread as it could be of great interest to buyers what options that are available and more interestingly if they are worth it and other peoples opinions about it.
matteeee
Options: DCC, RCD-510, Panorama roof
Window tint
8,5x19" ET35 Audi A5 wheels
Devil Eyes LED head lights
H&R 35mm lowering springs

Post by matteeee »

A bit late, but here is more info, from Öhlins themselves (who are making the "magic valve" allowing this wonderful function).
http://www.ohlins.se/Our-products/Automotive/CES/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deb
Options: Cruise control, flat tyre indicator

Post by Deb »

I don't know how it works, but do like that I can get my exact initials up on the dash just by pressing a little button. On my more stressed/insane days I take great comfort in my car telling me 'DCC normal.' :lol: