Speaker/Dash Rattle

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
nmccullo
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Sunroof
Xenon lights

Speaker/Dash Rattle

Post by nmccullo »

Hi Guys

I've had two very annoying rattles/sounds since almost the first day I bought my car. I haven't taken in to the dealership yet, because I want to try and figure out exactly where it's coming from and whether there is a quick fix.

1. The sound is most noticeable when cruising on the freeway or when accelerating (sometimes its quiet). I'll try and describe the sound...
It's a low pitched high frequency vibrating noise that sounds like it's coming from the passenger door speaker (I've got a right hand drive). Almost the type of sound you will hear if you've got a loose connection and the audio sound is slightly distorted. However I don't belief it is the speaker. Even if I switch off the sound system, the rattle/noise is still there. My wife has tried to pinpoint the noise and she says it sounds like it's coming from the dashboard (basically where the dash meets the windscreen).... I know sounds can bounce around, but I’m pretty sure it’s coming from the passenger side.

2. I've got a rattle on the plastic piece in between the instrument panel and steering wheel.

Anyone else experienced similar rattles/noises? Any custom fixes? I don't want to waste my time with my local VW, unless I really have to...

Regards
Neale
ukgazman
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Cruise
Winter Pack
Xenons
Sat Nav
Tyre Pressure Monitor
Parking Sensors
Electric Folding Mirrors

Re: Speaker/Dash Rattle

Post by ukgazman »

had the same, they replaced some parts in the door and replaced something with my centre vents. I'll look up exactly what they did when I get home.
nmccullo
Xenon lights

Post by nmccullo »

Thanks! It sounds like a bee or fly is trapped somewhere inside the passenger door/speaker...
the_tyce
Options: Dynaudio

Post by the_tyce »

Hi Neale, did you get anywhere with your annoying dash buzz? Mine is doing exactly the same!

Cheers

Dan
chebaroony
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140

Post by chebaroony »

Hi Folks , i had the one in the passenger door for a few months before i finally booked it into VW Wloverhampton , they found a cable from the window regulator touching the metal framework, a bit of foam sorted it out . I would have preferred to sort it myself but couldnt work out how to remove the door card , now its nice and quiet again . The wierd thing is tho it would only vibrate on cold days . Hope you get it sorted.
maisbitt
In: Rising Blue
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Had a rattle in my last Golf that I swore was coming from the passenger side. My wife swore it was coming from the drivers side - it was the sunglasses in the overhead stash!

I have a boot rattle in my Roc that i've had from day 1 but I haven't pursued it, just turned the stereo up. Will get it done when teh service is due hopefully.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
egobreed
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: Nada!

Post by egobreed »

I had passenger door and boot rattles sorted by VW Jordanhill in Glasgow in a few hours, and they've been fine ever since. The dealer had a 'technical bulletin' on the issue and obviously knew how to deal with it.
maisbitt
In: Rising Blue
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

I wonder whether they're getting better at screwing the Roc together, maybe we should start a poll to see if newer Rocs are any less susceptible to squeaks and rattles that were present early on into ownership than the older ones.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
nmccullo
Xenon lights

Post by nmccullo »

I haven't been to the dealership yet, but atleast I know where the rattles are comming from:

1. Plastic trim running between the windscreen and dash - passenger side. Although I've got no idea what's underneath that trim. It's comming from somewhere in/behind the storage compartment.

2. The plastic trim surrounding the steering wheel shaft/column - it's loose and the noise stops when I hold it down - Any suggestions?

I live in South Africa, so don't know if you'll be able to answer me, but I've had my Roc for 3 months - 6000km - Is the dealership still required to take care of the rattles bona fide (it's a differet VW dealership than the one I bought the car from) or is my car now too "old"?
AndyInGlasgow
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Xenons, Leather Seats, Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Mats, Flat Tyre Indicator.

Post by AndyInGlasgow »

Hi,

I had an annoying rattle that took ages to find, but I eventually did!

If you follow the plastic casing around the hand brake and gear level past the storage area where the ashtray would be it then slips under another piece of plastic that forms the main dash. This to the right hand side in the passenger footwell. I found that these would vibrate off each other over roughter tarmac etc and be really annoying. I put some padding between both plastic and it's been fine since.

I will try and post a photo to explain if the above is not clear.
richwill607
Options: Reversing Sensors,
Premium Sill Guards,
VW Touch Blue Tooth Kit.

Ordered: 21st Jan 2010
Build Week: 10
Collected: 29th Mar 2010
Smiling ever since

Post by richwill607 »

I've done 10,000 miles now and there seems to be new rattles developing all the time. The loudest comes from the boot somewhere think it’s the boot lid, next is the centre console and now the windscreen has decided to join in on the fun! My radio volume is almost deafening trying to mask the rattles these days!

I've had 3 fiats that didn't rattle as much as this car. What a shining example of VW's build quality my car is, such a shame as it's put a bit of a dampener on what is such a stunning car to not only look at but drive!

VW Interior Trim Build Quality, FAIL!!!!!
Rocc on!
nmccullo
Xenon lights

Post by nmccullo »

FINALLY!!! After 3 appointments and almost 5 months they finally found my rattle. Is such a relief to drive rattle free for the first time in 6 months.

I turned out it was one of two things:
1. Little metal plate onto which the VIN is stamped. Apparently it wasn't pop riveted flush against the body.

2. The more likely cause was the following; The dashboard is connected to the rest of the car using metal clamps and apparently one of these wasn't clipped in 100% and vibrated at certain speeds.

Cheers