RNS510, Bluetooth premium with a Nokia E71 phone

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
ChrisL
I drive a: R-Line
In: Viper Green
With a: DSG box
Options: Bi-Xenons, Badge deletion, Parking sensors, Mobile phone prep, 19" Lugano, RNS510, Pan Sunroof, Cruise control, Elec mirros, Vienna Black Leather, electric seat controls, Sound Package. August 2013

RNS510, Bluetooth premium with a Nokia E71 phone

Post by ChrisL »

The following are my comment with my first few days with a Build Week 44 RNS510, Bluetooth premium with a Nokia E71 phone (with SD memory card):
a) The SMS option on mid or high line did not occur until the Remote SIM option is enabled on the phone. This must be done prior to pairing otherwise you have to switch phone on/off or re-pair. Once done and set to authorised on the phone, it works every time I sit in the car with the ignition on.
b) Once in remote SIM mode it is not possible to view SMS history on the phone and nor does the SMS history view to the mid or high line. This is VERY annoying !
c) Any SMS received or sent do not automatically copy to the phone but can be manually copied except I haven’t found where on the phone it copied to. This is VERY annoying !
d) I can play music from the phone via the car speakers via Bluetooth media (play music) connection. But in reality it’s easier to use a USB cable or swap out the SD card from phone to RNS510 to see all the tracks on the car displays.
e) I have no option to copy music from the E71 (USB or Bluetooth) to the RNS510 hard drive whereas I can direct with its SD card.
f) I have not managed to fast forward or reverse music in any format. But the Dynoaudio sounds very good !
g) Since the mobile signal for calls relies on where the phone is, it is strange that there is no sensible position in the car to mount the phone at window height whilst charging. A breast pocket on a shirt helps here.
h) The printed manual and highline display refer to a modem option but this appears to do nothing as far as the E71 is concerned.
mordred1973
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Re: RNS510, Bluetooth premium with a Nokia E71 phone

Post by mordred1973 »

Hi Chris

as the user of a Blackberry, i knew there was no point in me having the VW bluetooth since it works with Nokia and not much more. Although my fiscon says it supports display of sms, the brand spanking new blackerry doesn't seem to allow it, even though you'd have expected that. so I only have the features of phone, phonebook, phone key pad and short dials available through the RNS. However, I have not had any reception issues with just throwing the phone in the centre console whilst connected to the charging socket via a £2 lead from fleabay....

I play all my music from either a USB memory stick or my iPod. The RNS only allows music to be copied either direct from an unprotected CD or from the SD card, there is no other way to copy music to the HDD.

Regards

Chris
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

just to put the system into context ChrisL's car is new therefore it is highly likely that it has the new bluetooth system (bluetooth not just rsap)

S
mordred1973
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Post by mordred1973 »

ah VW have finally realised the rsap was no good after 1999 then lol
mortygttdi
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: highline mfa+, rns510, vw premium bt, bi-xenons,

Post by mortygttdi »

Chris go into the option on the mail menu and in there is an option for sim messages that is where the sms is saved when you save through the car kit.

Darren
ChrisL
I drive a: R-Line
In: Viper Green
With a: DSG box
Options: Bi-Xenons, Badge deletion, Parking sensors, Mobile phone prep, 19" Lugano, RNS510, Pan Sunroof, Cruise control, Elec mirros, Vienna Black Leather, electric seat controls, Sound Package. August 2013

Post by ChrisL »

Ahaa ! So it was. Then mark all, copy/move to Inbox. They loose their date stamp in the process however.

You'd think somehow it could be done in reverse so I can see my exisitng Inbox on the car screens....