Your 1st winter as a Scirocco owner

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Re: Your 1st winter as a Scirocco owner

Post by trix »

Billc wrote:As a recent convert I've yet to drive my 2.0TSI DSG on snow, not being able to set off in anything other than 1st what are people's experiences with DSG and snow? Any tips or techniques that work? I'm well used to snow driving but concerned that DSG could be a problem.
Hi Bill :welcome:

already all discussed with lots of tips etc here

S
Paul_W
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Reverse park sensors, cruise control, winter pack, Parrot Bluetooth Kit

Post by Paul_W »

Thankfully my car lives in a garage at night. My only concern is when I leave work in the evenings. Twice this week my windscreen has been frozen but side windows have been fine. I'm keeping a can of de-icer in the boot in case I need to unfreeze the side windows to get in. If that fails I think I could have to resort to making a very undignified entrance to my car via the boot. lol
clflangan
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: None

Post by clflangan »

This is my second winter as a Scirocco owner and am being driven crazy (yet again) by the daftness of the window-dropping design...

Trying to get into the car after a day at work and no access to warm water to defrost the window seals is very frustrating..Have to unlock the boot only to then get the de-icer spray, then hang around in the freezing weather to wait until it works (if it works at all) so that I can unlock the driver door to get in, switch on the ignition and finally try to warm up the car...!

Can't believe that a car that was presumably designed in Central Europe (where they get a lot more snow than us) could have such a major design fault..

Aside from this, I really love the car but have to say that it would put me off from buying another one! (Unless they fix this issue by the time I plan to trade it in..)

Any suggestions for an easier way to get into the car when no access to warm water??
Richard A
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: SatNav, Winter Pack, Flat Tyre Indicator, Bi-Xenons

Post by Richard A »

clflangan wrote:This is my second winter as a Scirocco owner and am being driven crazy (yet again) by the daftness of the window-dropping design...

Trying to get into the car after a day at work and no access to warm water to defrost the window seals is very frustrating..Have to unlock the boot only to then get the de-icer spray, then hang around in the freezing weather to wait until it works (if it works at all) so that I can unlock the driver door to get in, switch on the ignition and finally try to warm up the car...!

Can't believe that a car that was presumably designed in Central Europe (where they get a lot more snow than us) could have such a major design fault..

Aside from this, I really love the car but have to say that it would put me off from buying another one! (Unless they fix this issue by the time I plan to trade it in..)

Any suggestions for an easier way to get into the car when no access to warm water??
Agree with all of the above as this is my second winter with the car too and I wonder if VW are considering a redesign in any upcoming Scirocco makeover that would introduce framed doors (although that sort of re-engineering is probably not cheap). I'm guessing a lot of people in colder climates than ours must be struggling with this.

I was criticised on these boards last winter for suggesting that sliding a old credit card along the door panel to glass seal (which is where mine freezes, not so much the window top into U rubber), but I've done this a number of times now (with care, I should add) and haven't seen any deterioration of the seal lip.
Deft
In: Indium Grey
Options: Rear parking sensors

Post by Deft »

Who will be the first Scirocco owner to urinate on the door to get it open?
stuaz
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Sat Nav, Winter Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise Control.

Post by stuaz »

Richard A wrote:Agree with all of the above as this is my second winter with the car too and I wonder if VW are considering a redesign in any upcoming Scirocco makeover that would introduce framed doors (although that sort of re-engineering is probably not cheap). I'm guessing a lot of people in colder climates than ours must be struggling with this.

I was criticised on these boards last winter for suggesting that sliding a old credit card along the door panel to glass seal (which is where mine freezes, not so much the window top into U rubber), but I've done this a number of times now (with care, I should add) and haven't seen any deterioration of the seal lip.
How do the windows on the Mini work, cos they are frameless, do they drop like the Roc?
Now a Proud Owner!
clflangan
Options: None

Post by clflangan »

Deft wrote:Who will be the first Scirocco owner to urinate on the door to get it open?
I'm sure many have tried (but not owned up to it) but unfortunately being of female gender is a significant disadvantage to this quick-fix...!
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

I'm sure we can find some intelligent solutions Deft. ;)

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
SeventySix
Options: Tints, cruise, sunroof, Interlagos, badge deletion, DAB & mats.

Ordered 14/4/10, built 26/5/10, collected 18/6/10 @ 1245 :D

Re: DOOR PROBLEM WHEN ICEY

Post by SeventySix »

The Don wrote:Keep a can of de-icer insode the front door and give that a blast before you open it..

simples..
Or keep it in the boot.
Lancs_ian

Post by Lancs_ian »

I'm also in my 2nd winter as an owner, and was fed-up with standing outside the car last winter not being able to get in.

I'm experimenting at the moment with 'low tack self adhesive tape' - shouldn't have to on great car, but I'm prepared to give it a go if it means I can get in the car in the morning. So far its worked a treat, I haven't been locked out once. Min car temp was -10.5 last Thursday, but window dropped no problem. My only thought is that it might be due to the 'dry' cold conditions rather than 'wet' cold. This morning though, windscreen and drivers window solid ice film, peeled off the 'low tack' tape, nice clean 1" strip ice free, and the window dropped, no problem.

I'm using the stuff you can buy to protect carpets / wooden floors etc when your decorating, comes in a long roll. Cut a strip 2" wide and then press firmly onto the window and rubber seal. Stops any water getting down the seal, and so doesn't freeze together.

Watch me be frozen out tomorrow now :(
2009 Candy White 2.0 tdi GT
2012 Rising Blue 2.0 tdi GT
2015 Ultraviolet 2.0 tdi R-Line
Richard A

Post by Richard A »

Lancs_ian wrote:I'm also in my 2nd winter as an owner, and was fed-up with standing outside the car last winter not being able to get in.

I'm experimenting at the moment with 'low tack self adhesive tape'...
Now there's an idea... think I'll look into this, thanks.
Richard A

Post by Richard A »

stuaz wrote:
Richard A wrote:Agree with all of the above as this is my second winter with the car too and I wonder if VW are considering a redesign in any upcoming Scirocco makeover that would introduce framed doors (although that sort of re-engineering is probably not cheap). I'm guessing a lot of people in colder climates than ours must be struggling with this.

How do the windows on the Mini work, cos they are frameless, do they drop like the Roc?
Not sure, but I was wondering what the arrangement is with 997s and Caymans? I test drove a Cayman once and don't remember any window behaviour when getting in, but I might have been too focussed on the upcoming driving experience to notice. I keep forgetting to take a look at the window tops when I see one, but I suppose any car with frameless door windows where the window top sits inside a U rubber must use the same mechanism.
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

hey mikko...how do you scandinavians prevent your windows from freezing in the cold and not dropping to let you in the car???

sorry for the OT question! :)
Last edited by RW1 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged.. Tut tut ;)
Jane
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Gone forever.... :-((

Audi TTS... Making me :-)) again

Post by Jane »

Chungster wrote:hey mikko...how do you scandinavians prevent your windows from freezing in the cold and not dropping to let you in the car???

sorry for the OT question! :)

Very good question though, I would like to know the answer to that too.
Mikko
Options: Cruise control, Climatronic, RCD-510, media-in, VW soundsystem, reversing camera, bluetooth, sport pack, mirror pack, winter pack, Savannah 19" / Interlagos 18"

Post by Mikko »

Unfortunately we either have no magic trick to solve that problem. What has helped me a little is that I have gone through all the rubber sealants touching the window with VW's Rubber Care Stick. Still have some occasional problems, though. Then I usually use a credit card, stick it between the rubber and window and have a run through all sides of the window. Usually helps... I also sometimes use a car cover to prevent problems, if the weather is (promised to be) terrible.
thehippo
In: Night Blue
Options: 18" Interlagos alloys, multi-function wheel, DAB radio, bi-xenons and rear parking sensors

Post by thehippo »

Deft wrote:Who will be the first Scirocco owner to urinate on the door to get it open?

I'm sure many have tried (but not owned up to it) but unfortunately being of female gender is a significant disadvantage to this quick-fix...
I don't know....there are a few "ladies" I know who not only would be able to sort out both doors, but would also be able to clear the windscreen and driveway as well...... :p
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

stuaz wrote:

They do drop but sit against the seel rather than the top of the window going into the seel as happens on the roc. Never remember by mini windows failing to drop but even if they did you would still be able to open the door as you were just pulling the window away from the seel. Hope that makes sense!

Deacon
playing in my '86
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

The other night, knowing I was parking up where there was no warm water available to free up the seals. I packed a 2.0ltr thermos flask full of warm water. Worked a treat.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

yup might have to start using that...but annoying still.

they should have made a VW etched thermos flask as a freebie with every Rocco sold.
ukgazman
Options: Cruise
Winter Pack
Xenons
Sat Nav
Tyre Pressure Monitor
Parking Sensors
Electric Folding Mirrors

Post by ukgazman »

i didnt even bother to try and get mine cleared today...