Nightmare engine probs - advice please!!!

Everything about the R for potential owners.
stevai
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: 19's
No other extras... I can do hill starts, fold my mirrors, reverse park and find my way to places all by myself :)

Nightmare engine probs - advice please!!!

Post by stevai »

As some of you may know from my previous posts, I have been having major issues with my engine mis-firing, to the point where it has actually been very dangerous at times (loss of power whilst overtaking!). It has been in and out of the dealership 4 times with no success.

I eventually contacted trading standards and a solicitor and was advised to put everything in writing and give them one last chance to fix the car before rejecting it. So that's what I did. It has now been with the supplying dealer for over a week, and this is their summary:

They have acknowledged the misfire and managed to reproduce it. They have done all of the tests which VW asked them to perform, and all came back negative (as in no fault found).
HOWEVER... VW have apparently acknowledged this problem with the R line cars (Golf R, Scircocco R, Audi S3) and think that it may be a fuel starvation issue. Their solution for ME, is to never let the car dip below quarter of a tank of fuel if I'm going to drive it hard!!!

Does everyone agree that that is wholly unacceptable??? Surely that's just ME driving around the problem!? Has anyone else had any similar issues with mis-firing? Do any of you drive your car hard on less than quarter of a tank and if so, have you ever had any problems?

It would also help me if you could let me know what fuel you normally put it as I have pretty much been advised to use V Power only (I usually use Tesco super (99).

I would greatly appreciate anyone's advice / opinions on this as the whole experience has turned into a nightmare so far :(

Thanks
Lee
Andy-GTI
Options: R

Re: Nightmare engine probs - advice please!!!

Post by Andy-GTI »

Have they changed the spark plugs?

S3's have been known to have misfire issues, cured by changing the plugs
stevai
No other extras... I can do hill starts, fold my mirrors, reverse park and find my way to places all by myself :)

Post by stevai »

Changed plugs, coil packs, injectors.... all sorts mate. It's been quite a high profile fault so I think all the obvious bases have been covered.
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

Can't say I've had any problems when there's less than 1/4 tank of fuel. I refuel when the reserve light comes on!!!
Shaun
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

Chungster wrote:Can't say I've had any problems when there's less than 1/4 tank of fuel. I refuel when the reserve light comes on!!!
yeh me neither , all is fine at the moment, the Edition 30 was faultless for 3 years too
b0rk
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

Tried changing the fuel filter? If it's a starvation issue shouldn't VW be looking at swapping out elements of the fuel system and running pressure tests at different tank levels. Not missing about with the plugs, coils or injectors.

If I had to guess I'd go fuel filter, high pressure fuel pump or feed line inside the tank.

I'd regularly run my edition 30 until the miles to empty read zero with no issues.
stevai

Post by stevai »

b0rk wrote:Tried changing the fuel filter? If it's a starvation issue shouldn't VW be looking at swapping out elements of the fuel system and running pressure tests at different tank levels. Not missing about with the plugs, coils or injectors.
Yes mate.... all of the obvious bases have been covered. I appreciated everyone's comments but I'm not really after people's ideas for solutions. What I'd really like people to comment on is:

1. Is it unreasonable of the dealer to expect me to 'drive around the problem' by never letting my tank dip below a quarter.
2. Has anyone else had any mis-firing problems
3. Do you often run your tank below quarter tank
4. What kind of fuel do you use

Answers to any of these would be a bigger help than you can imagine, as my solicitor has said we can use them in our case to reject the car.

Thanks in advance
Lee
Last edited by stevai on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
sicinius
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Sumatra
Options: SatNav, Bluetooth, iPod control, Cruise, Parking sensors, Truffle leather, Bi-Xenons,

Post by sicinius »

http://www.encyclo.co.uk/define/Rescission

As your solicitor has probably told you, this is the bit of law you need. IANAL. It's hugely difficult and I have heard of Mercedes giving in but no one else. I was a director of company where we tried to give an hilariously unreliable Lancia Gamma back. The law was expensive and didn't result in a new car as the courts will usually find in favour of manufacturers who have been making reasonable endeavours (they are NOT obliged to make their best endeavours - which is a more serious commitment in UK law).

The best thing to do is get onto Volkswagen and get someone there on your side and be firm but reasonable. They should at least offer you a new fuel system and if that doesn't work a new engine. I once got a director from Alfa Romeo on my side and he helped turn a 164 cloverleaf from typical Alfa to the most reliable car I have ever owned by putting me in touch with a genius mechanic who understood them. They paid for everything and I got 220,000 entirely trouble free miles before I sold it. Wish I still had it.
DAR

Post by DAR »

might be a long shot.

My Misses had a new A4 TDi last year, company car. That would regularly 'lose power and cut out' whilst driving.

Always at or below 1/3 tank.

AUDI tried all, in the end the lease company took it back, not after a long fight.

The problem was the fuel tank, it is two chambers, and fuel transfers from one side to the other during usage. The fuel gauge was correct, there was about 1/3 chamber of fuel available, however the tank sender is in one side, and the fuel pump was in the other.

The problem was the car running out of fuel, as the lower fuel transfer aperture was blocked, due to a manufacturing defect. So the RAC would turn up, and after a while enough fuel would have seeped/transfered to allow the car to start and idle, however any demand would cause a un-achievable demand on the sytem, and it would die.

New fuel tank, and her mate is now driving it.
l-plate

Post by l-plate »

Hi sorry to hear your having problems...

Sounds like DAR may have found a plausible comparison,

I ran mine until the refuel light came on the other day (normally dont let it go low) however had no powerloss/misfire whatsoever....

You shouldnt have to drive around this, what if you drive 'gently' when below a 1/4 tank and you go up a hill or use a roundabout or need to use more power from a situation n it cuts out, sounds unsafe to me...I have used both 95 and 98 fuel and no issues there.
stevai

Post by stevai »

I-plate

Thanks for your comments... much appreciated.
You are right, it is very unsafe and they are the grounds on which I am trying to reject it. For starters, they can't define at exactly what point the tank becomes 'too empty'. Is it going to be when I have my young niece in the front passenger seat and I'm trying to overtake another car, and then suddenly hit the 'critical' point.

I will keep you all posted!

Cheers