Your 1st winter as a Scirocco owner

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Re: Your 1st winter as a Scirocco owner

Post by Shaun »

DAR wrote:Garage! Or is that full of wheels?

Not helping much! :lol:

But seriously steer clear of covers, even small roof only ones, they will get gritty and cause marring on the paint over time.

yeh i dont really want anything to cover the car, just the offending windows !
170junkie
In: Salsa Red
Options: Everything

DOOR PROBLEM WHEN ICEY

Post by 170junkie »

Got my new 10 plate TDI 170 in May this year, so just experiencing how it performs in winter Northumberland weather now for the first time.

One problem I have noticed.............when its icey, the door windows cannot drop a little as they should, as they freeze in place and cannot move.
This means when you "unlock & open" the car with the key fob, you can open the door carefully................but cannot close it, as the window is stuck in the "fully up" or closed position, and the rubber surround is hard, so the window just bounces off it.
This means having to warm up the car with the door slightly open, and re-set the window drop everytime this happens...........
This has caught me out a few times.

Not something you would expect to happen with a German Car built in a country with a lot of freezing weather ??????

Is there a fix for it?

Pete
The Don
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Re: DOOR PROBLEM WHEN ICEY

Post by The Don »

Keep a can of de-icer insode the front door and give that a blast before you open it..

simples..
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

:trysearch:

You'll get the knack of it in the mornings. ;)

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... warm+water" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... ilit=kytox" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... ater#p4218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
The Don

Post by The Don »

A remote start for the car would be a good idea considering the windows that are on it. Heat the car while you sit in the house getting breakfast. Not very enviromentally friendly but I bet it would be a seller in colder countries. :yes:
Caput Mortuum
Options: 18" Interlagos alloys, Dynaudio Excite, Media-In, Climatronic, Cruise Control, Winter pack, Defa engine & interior heater.

Post by Caput Mortuum »

In colder countries we have timer operated electric cockpit and motor oil heaters. It is apparently environmentally wise to use the motor oil heater as soon as it gets below + 5 degrees celsius. Good for the engine too.
Best regards from Finland. :D
170junkie
In: Salsa Red
Options: Everything

Post by 170junkie »

The Don wrote:Keep a can of de-icer insode the front door and give that a blast before you open it..

simples..
ER.......surely that would mean having to open the door to get the De-Icer ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Last edited by trix on Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quoting fixed
Shaun
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

170junkie wrote:
The Don wrote:Keep a can of de-icer insode the front door and give that a blast before you open it..

simples..
ER.......surely that would mean having to open the door to get the De-Icer ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
dont you think he means "Front door" as in the houses front door?, after all the scirocco doesn't have a back door so you wouldn't call its doors a front door would you ?
ZephyR
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

A point to bear in mind is that if you pour water over the window seals to defrost them some of that moisture will not evaporate during really cold days and will lead to them freezing up even worse the next night.

I recommend a preventative treatment of the rubbers with a lubricant of your choice (see previous post).
If that fails try using a credit card and a bit of gentle persuasion.
Finally resort to de-icer.
Or better still move somewhere warmer with your Roc :yes:
The Don

Post by The Don »

182_blue wrote:
170junkie wrote:

simples..
dont you think he means "Front door" as in the houses front door?, after all the scirocco doesn't have a back door so you wouldn't call its doors a front door would you ?

Correct.

I have a can of de-icer sittinga\ the front door of my house during the winter. Saves 10 mins of baltic window scraping..
Gary_Monkey
In: Rising Blue
Options: 18" Interlagos, 2Zone Climate Control, Multifunction Steering Wheel with Paddle Shift and Highline computer, Front Fog Lights, Mats front and rear.

Car ordered 30 June 2009.
Car built Build Week 43.
Car built and at check point 5 (20/10)
Car now at check point 7 (21/10)

Post by Gary_Monkey »

Get yourself some of this:

Gummi Pflege - Rubber Care £5.95

http://www.shinearama.co.uk/product.php ... -GUMMI-100

Best,

Gary
Car now at docks waiting to board ship. Due to sail Sat 24 Oct! 23/10
Car now at a UK port being checked. 26/10)
Car still at the port of Sheerness until 3 Nov. Grrr 29/10
Car at dealers and being prepped. 3/11
Car Deliverd :-) 10 Nov 2009
VWMerc
Options: GT Wheels
Rear Parking Sensors
Winter Pack

Post by VWMerc »

Its what I use and had no problems so far and I don't use de-icer.
davemac5
In: Rising Blue
Options: wheels. fogs and mats

Post by davemac5 »

Autoglym silicone spray keeps the rubber from freezing. Apply every few weeks during the winter months. It worked for me last winter.
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

Used the rubber spray and it did NOT prevent the windows from
Freezing onto the rubber. So load of poo really.

Back to warm water and de icer
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

My kryptox seems to be working well :-)
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

And another thing to remember is the mirror down on the passenger side when reversing. Mine had a large lump of ice on the bottom of the mirror frame holding the mirror glass. So I've switched it to a setting that is not "left mirror adjust" position (LHD - not "right mirror adjust" position) to stop the mirror moving when reverse is selected. Otherwise the mechanism could suffer if I forget to de-ice it.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
langley182
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

Your 1st winter as a Scirocco owner

Post by langley182 »

2nd winter and I'm out in the abundance of snow we just got..."hello handbrake"
thehippo
In: Night Blue
Options: 18" Interlagos alloys, multi-function wheel, DAB radio, bi-xenons and rear parking sensors

Post by thehippo »

I'm quite glad that my Roc is delayed now...I was out last night driving through heavy snow (NE Scotland) and left the road at a sharp bend - I just managed to avoid going down an embankment and stopping in a field at the bottom. I got away with only minor damage to my front bumper. To think I was driving a 4x4 with full lock on the fwd as well, don't know how the Roc would have done in the same circumstances..!!

I was going to sell my X-Trail when the Roc arrives, but I might just hang onto it for these little snow flurries.
Billc
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
Options: Dynaudio, DCC, bi-xenons

Post by Billc »

As a recent convert I've yet to drive my 2.0TSI DSG on snow, not being able to set off in anything other than 1st what are people's experiences with DSG and snow? Any tips or techniques that work? I'm well used to snow driving but concerned that DSG could be a problem.
Bill in Norfants
yellowplum
In: Deep Black
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Post by yellowplum »

It makes me glad I picked the winter pack :)