DSG OR NOT

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
filfilah
Options: Not ordered , still hatching deal

DSG OR NOT

Post by filfilah »

Hi all

Looking to order VERY soon

Not certain whether to go DSG or not.............

2.0 TSi GT
Rising Blue
Parking sensor

Any feedback will be appreciated greatly

Thanks

David

hI ALL
drnick
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: leather, Nav, Park sensors

Re: DSG OR NOT

Post by drnick »

never driven DSG but i love my 6 speed manual, lovely short throw and positive shift...........
sir_rocco
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box

Post by sir_rocco »

I love DSG but its not to everyones taste. Best advice I can give is to try to get an extended test drive, if you pay a deposit beforehand they will know you are for real and treat you accordingly. BTW, it takes at least 10k miles before you become at one with DSG and using it just becomes instinctive.
Taken delivery : Silver, DSG, NAV, Black Leather, Park Sensors, Winter pack.

Mods: Full Milltek, KW lowering springs,Wheel Spacers, Remapped to 258BHP, 405Nm
jonallen628
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

Post by jonallen628 »

There is no definative answer unfortunately. It's an obvious thing to say but I would suggest trying both the manual and DSG boxes as there are plenty of dealer demos around now. It depends on the type of driver you are and the amount of driving you do really.

I am a very enthusiastic / committed driver, my last car was a Renaultsport Clio which i thrashed the balls off and i go on a lot of trackdays (in other peoples cars) Traditionally i would always go for a manual. I have driven lots of automatic / semi-auto cars in the past all of which were dissapointing and never managed to convince me out of a manual car.

I learnt about the DSG system a year or so before it was launched and really looked forward to trying it to see if it was as good as VW claimed. I drove a Golf Gti / R32 and an Eos with manual and DSG boxes and was convinced about the abilities of the DSG box. For me it is the best of both worlds especially in the Scirocco combined with the ACC system. My journeys to and from work are pretty short and usually traffic laden so i leave the box in 'D' and the ACC in auto in the knowledge that the gearbox is swapping cogs whenever required to achieve the best economy from the engine. For me there is nothing worse than constantly clicking up and down the gears as you are bumper to bumper in traffic.

Then when i get a chance during the evenings and weekends i pop the lever into 'S' or manual mode and the ACC into Sport and give a middle finger to mpg and emissions and have a whale of a time. Sometimes i use the paddles but i have noticed how tactile the DSG lever is and have actually used this a couple of times recently.

Yes changing gear is a little more detatched in a DSG than in a Manual, i can't argue with that but with DSG the exhaust lets out some really satisfying noises on up and downshifts without the need for manual throttle matching . The gear changes are so lightning quick (quicker than humanly possible) in combination with the ACC it really makes sense. For me the DSG satisfies both camps, you really don't lose anything in terms control as it flicks up and down the gears on demand.

It's a thumbs up from me :yes: I know others will have differing opinions but that's life and what these forums are all about, sharing opinions and experiences. As well as your driving style obviously the amount and type of driving you do is also a major factor.

One note on the DSG is that it requires an additional service item to be carried out at 20k which is in addition to the normal service scheduele.

Finally if you shop around you could easily bag enough discount to essentiallly get the DSG box for free?

I am pretty sure that my next car will have a DSG box, hopefully it is an option on the R20.....

Good luck with making a decision, get out and try them both! Cheers, Jon. :yes:
08/11 - 12/13 2.0 TSI R DSG, Black / Black Vienna
01/09 - 08/11 2.0 TSI GT DSG, Black / Truffle Vienna

Black is the new Black....
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

i don't think a test drive often shows dsg in its best light, a twenty minute blast in D probably doesn't do it justice in a golf ed30

i don't regret the manual but think a couple of hours in a dsg may have twisted my arm, try the manual first then try to bag a dsg for a good few hours
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Bagwafu
Options: Truffle, Panroof, Both Sensors, Cruise, Dynaudio, Lecky Seat, Mats, Pedals, Sills, Steering Wheel GT Insert and LifeShine. Parrot Bluetooth. GTI Fast.

Now with APS Remap and Milltek Cat Back Non Resonated

Post by Bagwafu »

Pre order I had a 30 minute drive in a 140 BHP diesel EOS DSG - underpowered engine but great gearbox. Even that short time (combined with press reports etc) was enough to convince me to order the DSG on my 'Roc - havent regretted that decision at all, even with the extra cost - driving is effortless with it, whether stuck in a traffic jam or giving it the beans in S mode. Using the paddles to drop a couple of gears instantly without having to worry about rev or clutch control is great.

I think my next car whenever that is will be DSG equipped.
CTRnutter
Options: Winter Pack, Leather, Alu Pedals, GT Steering Wheel Badge, Side Sills, Superchips Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res, K&N Induction Kit

Post by CTRnutter »

jonallen628 wrote:There is no definative answer unfortunately. It's an obvious thing to say but I would suggest trying both the manual and DSG boxes as there are plenty of dealer demos around now. It depends on the type of driver you are and the amount of driving you do really.

I am a very enthusiastic / committed driver, my last car was a Renaultsport Clio which i thrashed the balls off and i go on a lot of trackdays (in other peoples cars) Traditionally i would always go for a manual. I have driven lots of automatic / semi-auto cars in the past all of which were dissapointing and never managed to convince me out of a manual car.

I learnt about the DSG system a year or so before it was launched and really looked forward to trying it to see if it was as good as VW claimed. I drove a Golf Gti / R32 and an Eos with manual and DSG boxes and was convinced about the abilities of the DSG box. For me it is the best of both worlds especially in the Scirocco combined with the ACC system. My journeys to and from work are pretty short and usually traffic laden so i leave the box in 'D' and the ACC in auto in the knowledge that the gearbox is swapping cogs whenever required to achieve the best economy from the engine. For me there is nothing worse than constantly clicking up and down the gears as you are bumper to bumper in traffic.

Then when i get a chance during the evenings and weekends i pop the lever into 'S' or manual mode and the ACC into Sport and give a middle finger to mpg and emissions and have a whale of a time. Sometimes i use the paddles but i have noticed how tactile the DSG lever is and have actually used this a couple of times recently.

Yes changing gear is a little more detatched in a DSG than in a Manual, i can't argue with that but with DSG the exhaust lets out some really satisfying noises on up and downshifts without the need for manual throttle matching . The gear changes are so lightning quick (quicker than humanly possible) in combination with the ACC it really makes sense. For me the DSG satisfies both camps, you really don't lose anything in terms control as it flicks up and down the gears on demand.

It's a thumbs up from me :yes: I know others will have differing opinions but that's life and what these forums are all about, sharing opinions and experiences. As well as your driving style obviously the amount and type of driving you do is also a major factor.

One note on the DSG is that it requires an additional service item to be carried out at 20k which is in addition to the normal service scheduele.

Finally if you shop around you could easily bag enough discount to essentiallly get the DSG box for free?

I am pretty sure that my next car will have a DSG box, hopefully it is an option on the R20.....

The exact attitude I have towards DSG, and I love it! I dont think I could honestly go back to manual :)
Car is now Sold!!!!! BMW 7 Series for now as nice and big but holding out for something a little special as my toy :)
S8N
Options: Sunfoof, Vienna Leather, parking sensors

Post by S8N »

jonallen628 wrote:There is no definative answer unfortunately. It's an obvious thing to say but I would suggest trying both the manual and DSG boxes as there are plenty of dealer demos around now. It depends on the type of driver you are and the amount of driving you do really.

Could not have put it better. All I will add is this. When it's a cold, dark, wet morning and you are tired.. you know DOG tired. When you just need to get to where you need to go in comfort with no hassle. Traffic is madness, queues are already forming, stop/start/stop/start. DSG will make it that much more acceptable. Reverse the coin. Sunday morning, sun is shining, the roads are quiet. You hit your favourite road. You snicker the box into S (sport). You drop the hammer, you turn in hard to that first twisty, the DSG holding the revs at the top of the band, you floor it out, hearing the box drop a cog to make sure it's optimal powerbanding. It just makes sense.
CTRnutter
Options: Winter Pack, Leather, Alu Pedals, GT Steering Wheel Badge, Side Sills, Superchips Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res, K&N Induction Kit

Post by CTRnutter »

S8N wrote:

Could not have put it better. All I will add is this. When it's a cold, dark, wet morning and you are tired.. you know DOG tired. When you just need to get to where you need to go in comfort with no hassle. Traffic is madness, queues are already forming, stop/start/stop/start. DSG will make it that much more acceptable. Reverse the coin. Sunday morning, sun is shining, the roads are quiet. You hit your favourite road. You snicker the box into S (sport). You drop the hammer, you turn in hard to that first twisty, the DSG holding the revs at the top of the band, you floor it out, hearing the box drop a cog to make sure it's optimal powerbanding. It just makes sense.

Just to add to that don’t you just love the way when you put it into manual mode and you use the paddles round the twistys just get some more involvement, if you decide you don’t want use the paddles anymore you can just leave it in manual and when it hits the limiter it'll change gear for you anyway :) Magic

Then there is launch control, yes you can launch a manual but it does all the hard work for you with DSG, I have only used it once but I’ll probably use it a couple of times when I go up to the pod
Car is now Sold!!!!! BMW 7 Series for now as nice and big but holding out for something a little special as my toy :)
bungle
Options: Vienna Leather. Folding Mirrors. Parking Sensors. Carpet Mats.

Post by bungle »

Can't really add more than what has already been said. It really is the best of both worlds. You get some great farts and whistles on full bore up changes, the changes are so smooth as to be almost imperceptible. I have a fairly short commute to work, but its great to pootle in D, and then snick the lever into manual for the dual carriageway uphill blasts, then snick back into D.

Sticking it in S and stiffening the chassis really livens things up, it's like a different car.

A definite thumbs up from me. :yes:
robrob
Options: SAT-NAV, PAN SUNROOF, LEATHER, PARKING SENSORS, CRUISE CONTROL, WINTER PACK, FOLDING MIRRORS.

Post by robrob »

sir_rocco wrote:it takes at least 10k miles before you become at one with DSG and using it just becomes instinctive.
A bit of an exaggeration I would say, 10k???
I've only done 1000 in mine and I think I use it very well...

DSG is a fantastic Auto box.
Yes, I know some of you don't like calling it an Auto, but I’m afraid that at the end of the day it is an Auto box, albeit a brilliant one, best you can possibly get, and can use it so much better then a normal Auto box, but it ain’t a manuel...
CTRnutter

Post by CTRnutter »

robrob wrote:
sir_rocco wrote:it takes at least 10k miles before you become at one with DSG and using it just becomes instinctive.
A bit of an exaggeration I would say, 10k???
I've only done 1000 in mine and I think I use it very well...

DSG is a fantastic Auto box.
Yes, I know some of you don't like calling it an Auto, but I’m afraid that at the end of the day it is an Auto box, albeit a brilliant one, best you can possibly get, and can use it so much better then a normal Auto box, but it ain’t a manuel...
You could say that but an Auto doesnt use dual clutch technology and is slower than a manual whereas DSG is faster than a manual, I'd say thats a pretty big difference ;)

Its my first time with DSG too I cant possibly say what I'll be like after 10k as I havent driven that far yet but I know that I can use it more instinctivley now I'm at 5k miles compared to after only 1k :)

DSG, Sequential Manual and whatever else you want to call it, its certainly not a manual but nor is it an auto :)
Last edited by CTRnutter on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
cole trickle
Options: Anthracite leather, Sat Nav, Parking sensors, VW mats, cruise control, Revo remap, Sachs clutch and Quaife LSD

Post by cole trickle »

Have to say that I agree entirely that its personal taste.

I know loads of people on here love the DSG but for me the DSG is far too secretive, like having the KGB in the car :p

I test drove both the DSG and Manual and have driven by dads Audi a lot which has a similar semi-auto system and for me I just feel too detached from the car.

It is undoubtedly brilliant if you do a lot of driving in heavy traffic but I don't do much of that and for me the addded feeling of being connected won over and I'll be doing all my own gear changes.
'Rubbin' son is racing'
chr15

Post by chr15 »

I went for the manual. I drove a Seat Leon FR with the DSG box late last year and had the car for 24 hours. I put about 100 miles on it but could not get used to the DSG. Im not saying it isn't good but just was not for me. I feel more involved with the car by using a manual box and it would take a lot to tempt me away from that.
rehmondo
In: Candy White
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

Having come from a DSG Golf my next car had to have it, stuck in traffic everyday (1st,2nd,1st,2nd,1st,2nd) for about 30 mins every day, DSG saves a lot of hassle, and for those that need to feel a little bit more involved, just stick it in the manual mode and push the gear selector up and down or simply use the paddles on the steering, obviously it's sequential so you can't go from 2nd to 4th without passing 3rd but it changes the gears in 100'sth of a second so you really can't complain.

Like others before me have said, YOU will only know once you've tried both, but it's true what they say once you've tried DSG there’s no going back :D
Kev
Administrator
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced now by an F-Type.

Post by Kev »

I test drove a DSG and loved it. OK you don't get the full feel of how it all works but I thought it was just so effortless and adaptable with the paddles that it was worth taking the plunge and added it to my order. I do a reasonable amount of rush hour driving too so it should be a bonus for that and I also have a great cross country blast to my parents so I think the DSG should pay pack with dividends.

I'll find out soon!
CTRnutter

Post by CTRnutter »

Kev wrote:I test drove a DSG and loved it. OK you don't get the full feel of how it all works but I thought it was just so effortless and adaptable with the paddles that it was worth taking the plunge and added it to my order. I do a reasonable amount of rush hour driving too so it should be a bonus for that and I also have a great cross country blast to my parents so I think the DSG should pay pack with dividends.

I'll find out soon!
You wont regret it Kev, it works so well with ACC its almost as if VW had designed the car around DSG :)
ABN1C
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Leather, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, Parking Sensors, DAB Radio, Smokers Pack, Piano Black Interior Trim, Fiscon Bluetooth, Covered Cup Holder, Metal Pedals

Post by ABN1C »

I'll need to stop reading threads about DSG as I really, really, really want it, but can't strech my budget enough to get one :grumpy:
FUNYOU
In: Salsa Red
Options: Sat nav with Dynaudio package and folding mirrors.

Post by FUNYOU »

Don’t think I would like to own a DSG out of warranty.
CTRnutter

Post by CTRnutter »

FUNYOU wrote:Don’t think I would like to own a DSG out of warranty.

Whys that matey are there lots of known issues I'm unaware of ? :)