Heated Back Window Problems

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
it_guy
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box

Heated Rear Window

Post by it_guy »

Hi All

Now that the weather has become somewhat damper in the last weeks, I have noticed that one of the heater wires in the rear window doesn't work as well as the others, leaving a stripe across the window until the whole car warms up and clears it...

Has anyone had a similar experience in a Roc or other - will the dealer replace the whole window under warranty or should I not bother reporting it?

Thanks in anticipation.
davemac5
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: wheels. fogs and mats

Re: Heated Rear Window

Post by davemac5 »

Hi, I would definitely get the dealer to check it out and if necessary replace under warranty.
iAmbu
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Post by iAmbu »

I believe trix (moderator on here) had this problem

:trysearch:
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

yep I went through 2 rear screens (didn't really write it up though so not sure it would come up on the search), original one had a broken element half way down so was totally in the way of my light of sight & the first replacement had a broken element at the top so it got replaced again in Jan (second time round they checked all the relays etc to make sure it was a break in the element & not the car)
it was abit of a faff as every time they had to have the car in once to check I wasn't making it up & once a 2 or 3 weeks later to fit the new screen once they got hold of a new one.

so definitely worth getting them to check it & replace it under warranty :yes:

S
joe4186
Options: Cruise Contol, Winter Pack, Dynaudio, Mats, Parking Sensors, Tyre Pressure Sensors

Post by joe4186 »

i have had this problem, i start the car in morning and they must have a time out feature because it always seems to have switched itself off before it has taken any effect on the condensation. i am going to book it in and get it looked at now after reading this.
BeanKa
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Leather, erm im going to have to check the rest!

Post by BeanKa »

Very intresting, as i think that i have this problem as well!
I have obviously only just noticed it now that i am using the heated rear window.
Three elements (on up from the bottom arn't working)

I notice that sections of these elements i can see gold on these lines where all the others are black... hmmm
cajpaj
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Parking, Dynaudio, folding mirrors, cruise control, Dab radio

Post by cajpaj »

Hi all,

I'm supprised the windows are covered under any warranty? I have some broken wires in the side window :grumpy: aerials from new & VW are saying damage is not covered, "you nust have done this whilst cleaning" attitude.
Richard jeff2

Post by Richard jeff2 »

Hi
My Roc has got the side windows with the heating strip in. But the other morning these windows did not clear :cry: but the rear Window did, I will check that all the elements are working, now I know thier is a problem, I presume the side windows are switch on by the rear screen heater switch, or is there another switch to power these on? has any other owners got the same problem?
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

Richard

they are not heating strips they are radio aerials in the side windows

S
Richard jeff2

Post by Richard jeff2 »

Thanks for that trix

I am sure when I purchase the Roc they told me heated side windows, but who know what car sales men say to get a sale. My Roc got DAB raido

Richard
Respectdue
In: Salsa Red

Heated Back Window Problems

Post by Respectdue »

It seems that the 3 rows of heating elements towards the bottomeof the rear window have blow!!!! you can see its changed to a orange colour in places and now these rows do not work !!!!!! I have not cleaned or ever touched these screen,Anyone had problems and will it be covered in the warranty?

Lee
trix
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Re: Heated Back Window Problems

Post by trix »

I had to have my rear screen changed twice in the first year of having the car due to broken elements, all under warranty.
Respectdue

Post by Respectdue »

Booked to go into the dealer get checked,got the impression that they was looking to try and shift the blame (I.e saying a might have had a sticker there!!!)

Hopefully problem should be hopefully sorted in the next few weeks
paul38
In: Candy White

Post by paul38 »

Hi,

I too have just noticed my rear window element start to break up, however when i phoned the main dealer to check (before booking in) if it would be covered under warranty they said it would not be covered due to "influence of external factors" apparently the manufacturing method and materials they use would mean this would never fail!!! (right).

Just wondering on how you got on when you took it back?

I personally am going to book it in, get it looked at, and then let them formally tell me what they are or are not going to do.

Regards

paul
Respectdue

Post by Respectdue »

They replaced it in the end (2year 8months old).
They left some screws loose inside the tailgate so had to go back next door to have them removed but all well now.

regards

Lee
Withnail

Post by Withnail »

Yes I have the same problem.

The fourth and fifth bar down. Have just spoken to my dealer ( as it is due to be picked up for it's service ) and they have advised me they will check for scratches and damage and will let me know if it's a warranty repair. I would love to know how you would damage the windscreen cleaning it ? I use all the cleaning kit recommended and have had it professionally valeted once.
Foxy
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box

Post by Foxy »

Hi, here's how I've repaired heated rear screens over the years and yes, brought my Scirocco second hand in December to find two elements failed on the heated rear window, all working Ok now.

Visit Maplin electronics web site & search - "electrically conductive silver paint". It's expensive £10 for 3 grams, but 3 grams repairs loads of elements. I've found it's best to apply the paint using a very small jewellers screw driver. Using a brush is a bit of a none starter.

Locating the damage.

Look along the affected element from the inside and you can usually see the damaged section. If you can't then you will need a digital volt meter on a suitable range. Turn the heated rear window on, place one probe on the main connection to the heated window element and the other on the failed element. Moving the probe along the failed element, the voltage will remain constant until you pass the failure, at this point the volt meter steps by 12v. This will identify the break & hopefully you'll be able to see the break. It's entirely possible to have more than one break, in this case you need to repair the one you've found and revisit to locate the next break if it's not visible.

Once you've identified the break, make sure the heated rear window is off and apply the paint. Shake bottle, dip screw driver blade in the paint and dab on the break. Only the smallest drop is required on the blade. Don't worry about keeping the paint on the element as some will go onto the window. Once the paint is dry, just scrape the excess paint off the window with the screw driver blade.

The paint does need to be dry, if the heated window is turned on before the paint is dry the paint just boils and fails.

Depending on how thin the element is you may need to build up a few layers of paint, particularly if you are intent on removing all the excess from the window. I usually just trim it back a little so it looks ok, as I don't want to revisit should the one layer not be sufficient.

Hope you fund this useful.

Foxy.
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

A very interesting and helpful first post Foxy - thank you!
Withnail

Post by Withnail »

I'm having my windscreen replaced under warranty. The breaks trailed from the edge of the screen and are both about five/six inches long.
dimexi
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Saw this thread a while ago (about 3 months back), so I decided to monitor mine. One of the elements was very poor at demisting, or probably not working at all, so I noted it down.

Took my car in for a service and told them about it and insisted it be covered by warranty.

I got a call today saying they replaced it no questions asked! I have to say, I have been so impressed with my VW experience so far, 5 months in.
trix wrote:Richard

they are not heating strips they are radio aerials in the side windows

S
My scirocco has these on the windows too. If it's a radio aerial, what does the lil' shark fin on the top do? :/.

Are those strips for DAB cars?