Start / Stop ... I hope its not like this :(

All the info you need to know about the new VW Scirocco.
Nobby
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: Carat - Top French Spec with Leather heated electric seats, Electric mirrors, Rain Sensor, Auto headlights, Bi-zone air con, Cruise control, Puddle lights, Alloy pedals etc.
+ Sat Nav & alarm (Pack Techno)
+ DCC
+ Parking Sensors & Tyre pressure indicator (Pack City Light)

Re: Start / Stop ... I hope its not like this :(

Post by Nobby »

Maybe it's like the system on some Nissans

There is a knob in place of the key slot, If the car doesn't recognise the key fob you can pull off a cover & use the normal key which is integrated into the keyfob

In other words there is a normal ignition barrel behind a cover,

Not sure if there is an ignition barrel behind this button but that could explain why they put it there ? :shrug:

If not i have to admit it look's a bit pants compared to BMW etc but at the end of the day it is practical there

Either way, keyless entry & ignition are definitely very nice to have :yes:
Downtown_two
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: -
19" Talledega
Recaro Seats
Cruise Control
Sat Nav
Bluetooth

Post by Downtown_two »

Seems like a bit of a useless bottom of the barrel sort of addition, so glad I'm missing out on it. Only scenario I would accept would be a massive red "GO" button in the middle of my dash.
GT 140 TDI
Ordered - 19th July 2009
Built - 21st September 2009
Pickup - 21st October 2009

Gone!
Spiney
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Dynaudio, Cruise, DRL's turned off!
Just added Premium mats and treadplates, because she's worth it!

Post by Spiney »

Downtown_two wrote:Seems like a bit of a useless bottom of the barrel sort of addition, so glad I'm missing out on it. Only scenario I would accept would be a massive red "GO" button in the middle of my dash.
Ahh but if they did that, how would you ever turn the engine off? :shrug:
The Kitchen Shop
http://www.just-cooking.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nobby
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Carat - Top French Spec with Leather heated electric seats, Electric mirrors, Rain Sensor, Auto headlights, Bi-zone air con, Cruise control, Puddle lights, Alloy pedals etc.
+ Sat Nav & alarm (Pack Techno)
+ DCC
+ Parking Sensors & Tyre pressure indicator (Pack City Light)

Post by Nobby »

In France they seem to have replaced everyones throttle pedal with a simple On / Off switch

I've never seen anyone drive anything here at anything less than full chat :?
Downtown_two
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: -
19" Talledega
Recaro Seats
Cruise Control
Sat Nav
Bluetooth

Post by Downtown_two »

Spiney wrote:
Downtown_two wrote:Seems like a bit of a useless bottom of the barrel sort of addition, so glad I'm missing out on it. Only scenario I would accept would be a massive red "GO" button in the middle of my dash.
Ahh but if they did that, how would you ever turn the engine off? :shrug:
Quite right, there would have to be a second massive red button with "STOP" written on it.
GT 140 TDI
Ordered - 19th July 2009
Built - 21st September 2009
Pickup - 21st October 2009

Gone!
ZephyR
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

Spiney wrote:Ahh but if they did that, how would you ever turn the engine off? :shrug:
But why would you want to turn it off ..... just drive :clap:
alanstead
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
Options: Dynaudio, Parking sensors, Bi xenon, Electric folding mirrors, Cruise control, Winter pack, Flat tyre indicator, Mudflaps, Rubber mats, Boot liner, LED sidelights, Upgrade cornering bulbs, LED interior lighting, Upgrade DRL's, Premium sill trims, Alloy pedals, RNS510, Rearview camera, Bluetooth.

Post by alanstead »

This is all well and good, but I take it you have to just keep your key in your pocket now, I prefer mine, I have a place in the steering column where I can keep my key when I'm driving the car, and its really handy, cos when you get out, you take it out and lock the car with it. Bet with the new system you'd be constantly having to go and get the key from where ever you dumped it in a cubby!! Are people assuming that this new thing is going to be standard, or do you realise that VW will probably want some hellish amount of money for it as an option!! Pointless IMO :)

Alan
runway09

Post by runway09 »

Must say i dont like the look of this....

Why didnt VW put it by the gear stick next to the ESP and ACC button - there are 2 blanking plates there so why not add a start /stop button there? Would have looked much more classy? Would feel well weird having to push a button where the key would have gone?

Will stick to the good old key in barrel twist and go method to start my car for now.
adamj
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Metallic paint,mats, prem sills, Merlin Cloth, Hatchbag and a nice stone chip on the bonnet.

Post by adamj »

Looks like a cheapo mod, glad mine dosn't have this.

I have had a 1 Series that had the same setup as the 3 series with the start button and key - looked and worked great.
yellowplum
In: Deep Black
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Post by yellowplum »

adamj wrote:Looks like a cheapo mod, glad mine dosn't have this.

I have had a 1 Series that had the same setup as the 3 series with the start button and key - looked and worked great.
Agreed, the BMW system is a full start/stop system which of course when you remove your foot from the clutch also turns off the engine. When you are rolling it recharges the battery as you drive and if you have anything other than an M Sport you also have an auto closing and opening grill which allows the car to warm the engine in winter before opening to cool the car.

Unless you are going to develop a system such as this I think it is pointless to just have a start/stop 'stuck on' button just stick with a key.
Evil Derboy
Options: Leather • Nav

Post by Evil Derboy »

Last edited by Evil Derboy on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacktherat

Post by Jacktherat »

Last edited by Jacktherat on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperHenrik
In: Rising Blue

Post by SuperHenrik »

The picture from the German VW site shows a normal key is inserted. At least in the normal Scirocco.

RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

For my two pennyworth, from all the info I've read, I think the "keyless stop/stop" button will be part of the "R" model. And the "Regenerative stop/Start" will part of the Blue Motion model as part of it's economy acheivements. The "normal" models (Scirocco & Scirocco GT) I would have thought won't get these. They may be selectable owner's options at some point??. The "normal models" will just get the dash upgrades/engine's due production finished Wk45 onwards and use a normal ignition key.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
yellowplum
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Post by yellowplum »

Nope these changes aren't in the car that I took delivery of, however it is interesting to note that in the main manual (I got four manuals to read :grumpy: ) it shows the start stop button in conjunction with KEISS, however there are a few things that are in the manual that are not available for the UK market such as the Parking Camera. So I suspect somewhere in the world it is an option but not in the UK.

To be honest I would say that the only reason you want start/stop is because it saves you money on the Road Fund Licence by reducing the CO2. We will have to wait and see if it is introduced here and see what difference it makes if any.
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

I think we came to the conclusion (well I did anyway) that the start/stop will be part of the bluemotion model/pack

S
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

yellowplum wrote:Nope these changes aren't in the car that I took delivery of, however it is interesting to note that in the main manual (I got four manuals to read :grumpy: ) it shows the start stop button in conjunction with KEISS, however there are a few things that are in the manual that are not available for the UK market such as the Parking Camera. So I suspect somewhere in the world it is an option but not in the UK.
Manuals tend to be universal with little ** and a footnote. ie. optional fit.

I understand the reversing camera option can be ordered on Sciroccos in Germany. Does it show where the camera unit is located in your new manual (I believe the manuals have been updated incojunction with the Wk45 model release). Want to retro-fit.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
danny-russell

Post by danny-russell »

If it was me I would like a nice big button (maybe bright red) in the dash saying Start / Stop somewhere :P
TigerClaw
Options: Dyna Audio, Folding eletric mirrors

Post by TigerClaw »

like this one on the honda civic ? its a bit of a gimick but it fun as hell to push to start the car :hyper:

The Don
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184

Post by The Don »

Getting so upset over a start button.. :faint: