Coolant levels

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
AndyInGlasgow
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: Xenons, Leather Seats, Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Mats, Flat Tyre Indicator.

Coolant levels

Post by AndyInGlasgow »

Hi,

I notice that the coolant level in my car is now down at the minimum.

It's done about 9000miles and was only ever filled to mid way between the min and max when new.

I can't see any evidence of a leak, is it normal for coolant to reduce?

Temperatues and engine oil seem fine!

Cheers
Andy
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Re: Coolant levels

Post by Shaun »

I have never had to top up any coolant on any of my recent cars, that said people do say on the MK5 golf forum that they do have to top up very very occasionally
The Don
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Re: Coolant levels

Post by The Don »

Coolant systems are a bit like Radiator systems in the house, there can be a lot of air bubbles and bends and areas where the water might not get to when topping up. this sometimes corrects itself when the water pump starts up. I would just top it up and keep an eye on it. If it continues to drop there may be an issue.

Have you noticed any white smoke from the exaust even when the car is heated up??