And would you like a noise with that sir...

trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

And would you like a noise with that sir...

Post by trix »

Toyota are launching a noise device for the Prius to create a whirring sound when the Prius runs just on the electric motor.

One of the big selling points for the Toyota Prius is its ability to run for short distances at low speed on electric-only power. Not only does that make the Prius zero emission at point of use, it also helps our towns and cities become more peacuful without the constant background roar of engines.

Except that peace and quiet is causing problems. It seems we all use sound to judge safety as well as sight (of course the blind rely just on sound) and the quietness of electric cars – as the Prius can be – is being blamed for a rise in pedestrian accidents.

US research claims that pedestrian crashes at low speed are twice as frequent with hybrids, something researchers blame on the quietness of hybrids at low speed (we reckon it could be drivers dozing off with boredom behind the wheel of a Prius and crashing in to unsuspecting pedestrians). But Toyota has a cunning plan to overcome the problem – a noise machine.

Going on sale in Japan at the end of this month for around £100 it is basically a speaker dishing out a synthesized whirring noise which changes in pitch depending on speed when the Prius is running just on the electric motor. Joy of joys, it can also be retro-fitted and Toyota plan making it available for other hybrids in its range.

Something tells me our ‘elf ‘n’ safety will be making this compulsory in the UK before long. Which will make our towns and cities sound like the inside of a broken fan.

Oh, goodie.

Source: CarsUK
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Re: And would you like a noise with that sir...

Post by trix »

now why can i see some japanese entrepreneurs turning them into exterior music speakers running from the radio before long... :scratch:
CrazyDave

Post by CrazyDave »

They are very very quiet, it's really only the tyre noise and a faint high pitch whine from the inverter drive that gives them away.

When the petrol kicks in it's a different matter, most of them sound like a bean can full of nails!
If only VW made a Scirocco VR6 Turbo......
mike-p

Post by mike-p »

A bit like a cold 1.8T engine then?
Life's too short to go slow

Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance 2.0CR
Revo, Steinbauer & Oscarli Dealer for Suffolk and N.Essex
CrazyDave

Post by CrazyDave »

mike-p wrote:A bit like a cold 1.8T engine then?
Don't you just love secondary air injection pumps.....
If only VW made a Scirocco VR6 Turbo......
caprinolaw
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Bi-Xenon Headlights, Cruise Control, Scirocco Floors Mats, Boot Liner

Post by caprinolaw »

I nearly got ran over by a hybrid Lexus RH once... because it was so quiet.

Admitadely i should have looked both ways before crossing but i wouldnt say this little invention is a bad thing at all!
Jay.

30.06.2010 - Rocco ordered.
09.09.2010 - Rocco delivered.