Daylight Running Lights. ARGGHHH......

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
frenki
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
With a: Manual box

Re: Daylight Running Lights. ARGGHHH......

Post by frenki »

it works! THX! i have 2010model, no xenon. Parking sensor yes.
goldingdavid
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Sat Nav, Leather Seats, Reversing Sensors, phone prep, 19" alloys

Post by goldingdavid »

My car is 2009 and the indicator stalk method does not work. I had the car plugged into a Vag Com system today and the car just refuses to turn them off. very irritating.
Jacktherat

Post by Jacktherat »

Last edited by Jacktherat on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richjf

Post by richjf »

Jacktherat wrote:
billington.mark wrote:I can confirm the above works!

2010 TDI140 GT
Same here. :yes:
and me! :clap:
peter.vw
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
Options: Reversing aid, Paneramic glass roof, Folding mirrors, Tire flat indicator, mats, Smokers pack

Post by peter.vw »

Hi I can confirm that the method of,
Light switch at 0
Key in ignition but not on
Indicator pulled forward and down
Ignition on, you get a beep and that’s it
My Sirocco is 6 days old, no xenon lights
:yes: :yes: :yes:
AndyPK
Options: Sunroof and Cruise

Post by AndyPK »

Followed the steps from Peter above and confirmed working procedure OK from me - 3 day old GT, standard lights. Soooo glad those DRL's are now off!!

WIN.
peter.vw
In: Deep Black
Options: Reversing aid, Paneramic glass roof, Folding mirrors, Tire flat indicator, mats, Smokers pack

Post by peter.vw »

AndyPK wrote:Followed the steps from Peter above and confirmed working procedure OK from me - 3 day old GT, standard lights. Soooo glad those DRL's are now off!!

WIN.
Glad it worked for you cant see the point in the DRL, dont know if your have to turn them on when your first MOT comes but you should be able to reverse the swiching by pulling the indecator switch up and forward and switch on ignition
madrid25

Daylight Running Lights. ARGGHHH......

Post by madrid25 »

Hello there i have a 2010 scirocco i have just had my DRL lights switched off! However volkswagon have stated that once off it caanot be switched back on.
This statement is not true as i however can switch them on and off.

The law effects this in 2011 to have the DRL ON!!!!
Last edited by trix on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: not a clue who nick is
lumar
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: navigation, fog lights , 18' inch alloy rims

Post by lumar »

where can you buy the Roc R DRL and is it possible to fit them on the 2010 roc
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

this has been covered several times over in the lights forum lumar

the R drl's are shorter & do not fit the holes left also you lose your turn signal as in the R this is integrated into the zenon headlight unit. These from Iuly (also available from Niche Conversions) are an alternative for owners with standard rocs who want LED drl lights (with the turn signal)

to fit the R drl's, have turn signals & no gaps you would need to fit the R front bumper & headlights as well therefore please consider the lights in the link above.

S
scotty294
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Viper Green
Options: Winter Pack Dynaudio

Post by scotty294 »

Guys get real whats really the problem with DRL's? Most European countries have a mandaotory requirement on this I also ride a bike & totally agree with the DRL's on these - anyway see & be seen isnt that the best way???????????????????????? :shrug:
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

as it has been said before scott;
- you drive over a bump in the road & someone thinks you've flashed them so they pull out in front of you meaning you may have to take evasive action,
- people in the uk aren't aware of the legislation bringing them in as a requirement so you get flashed by people thinking 'why has that idiot got their lights on?' on more than one occassion,
- you have an auto function on your light switch which does sweet fa
if you like them then keep them but we don't all like the same things

S
true romance

Post by true romance »

As anyone managed to keep the front lights on (main or sides), but turned off the rears??

Cheers,
TR.
scimitar
Options: parking sensors, folding mirrors, climate control ,big alloys, leather,
headlamp washers. Dynaudio, flat tyre sensors CD changer

Post by scimitar »

Hi I have been trying allsorts to turn mine off. Seems it can be done easily if you have bi xenon lights but not if you have halogens. My dealer won't do it, claims it's a safety issue!
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

scimitar wrote:My dealer won't do it, claims it's a safety issue!
Its VW Wolfsburg instruction not to do it.
VW
Customer statement / workshop findings
Daytime Running Lights (DRL) cannot be switched off.

Technical background
DRL is becoming standard on all vehicles and should not be switched off.

Measure
No manufacturer supported changes possible. The feature should remain on as it is an active safety feature.
C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
AndyInGlasgow
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Xenons, Leather Seats, Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Mats, Flat Tyre Indicator.

Post by AndyInGlasgow »

All new cars will soon have DRLs in some form. As the percentage of cars grow with DRLs then everyone will feel much more settled and "normal" I imagine.

At the end of the day it's a safety feature, first started by Volvo many years ago I believe. If it makes you more visible and stops some idiot running into you, or catches the eye of a pedestrian about to step off a pavement then surely that's good.

What's next, people wanting to remove seatbelts, air bags, ABS.......all these measures are safety features, live with it, it may help others live too. Are people trying to put "coolness" over safety? Grow up.

Re pot holes and making it look like lights are getting flashed, the same thing happens with headlights, are you going to switch those off too?!!!

Sorry guys, I'm on my soap box! But felt I had to share a viewpoint!
Sanders83
In: Rising Blue
Options: Bi-Xenon lamps

Post by Sanders83 »

I don't mind DRLs personally as they could have prevented the accident that nearly killed me. But that said I don't like the fact that they can make it harder to spot some cyclists and peds under certain circumstances. Just have to keep your eyes peeled and look very carefully at all times.

I have my headlights on in anything other than clear sunlight these days anyway. Had so many people nearly crash into me recently despite driving quite a noticable blue car.
nd10

Post by nd10 »

Sanders83 wrote:I don't mind DRLs personally as they could have prevented the accident that nearly killed me. But that said I don't like the fact that they can make it harder to spot some cyclists and peds under certain circumstances. Just have to keep your eyes peeled and look very carefully at all times.

I have my headlights on in anything other than clear sunlight these days anyway. Had so many people nearly crash into me recently despite driving quite a noticable blue car.

This and you don't see them yourself anyway, I really don't see the fuss personally. Plenty of drivers don't put lights on when it's safer to do so, heavy rain for example, at least these people won't have a choice.
Sanders83
In: Rising Blue
Options: Bi-Xenon lamps

Post by Sanders83 »

Well you still have some choice because you can select the sidelight setting which is just a couple of tiny bulbs on the front corners.
caprinolaw
Options: Bi-Xenon Headlights, Cruise Control, Scirocco Floors Mats, Boot Liner

Post by caprinolaw »

I usually leave my headlights 'on' all the time for the exact reason that i dont want some idiot accidentally running into me or to hit some pedestrian.

Much of my commute is spent on dimly lit country roads and it avoids idiots on the other side of the road crossing the whitelines at exactly the same time I decide to come round the corner.

When i was in the army we were taught to drive with our full beams on at all times in residential areas unless there were cars coming the other way.
Jay.

30.06.2010 - Rocco ordered.
09.09.2010 - Rocco delivered.