Public Parking

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
VchrisW
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Public Parking

Post by VchrisW »

So I got my Roc yesterday and needless to say I am very very pleased with it. Only thing I'm finding is that I have become very paranoid about parking, on public roads car parks etc. I'm worried about other drivers scraping and scratching and wondered if anyone has any tips or tricks on how to avoid your car being damaged whilst you are not around. I supermarkets at the moment I'm just choosing to use two bays, but thinking people may get pissy with me over this?! Any handy tips to put my mind at ease would be great!
Actus Reus
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
With a: DSG box

Re: Public Parking

Post by Actus Reus »

Use the family parking bays at the supermarket. If you don't have a family buy a cheap child seat and a life size doll. Nobody will dare scratch your car as they'll be too scared of you to say anything ;)
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

VchrisW wrote:I supermarkets at the moment I'm just choosing to use two bays, but thinking people may get pissy with me over this?!
yes they will & then you are probably more likely to get it scratched, sadly thats the way society seems to have gone/is going imo.
the main thing you can do in public car parks such as this is park as far away from everyone else as possible, think of the extra exercise you will get when you combine the steps, or park next to cars that look well looked after (no dints, dents, scrapes) as they are likely to be owned by people who will watch where their door goes when they open it etc.

alternatively borrow a small child for every trip & then you can park in the parent/child parking :D (don't do it with out one though)

S
robmx
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Winter Pack, Cruise Control, Parking Sensors.

Post by robmx »

If the ends of the aisles are protected making sure nobody can cut the corner and scuff your bumpers, always park in those as you only have a car on one side to worry about.

You can also park next to 5dr cars as they have a smaller door span.
bleedsoff
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Sumatra
Options: Truffle Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, DAB and Flat Tyre Indicator!:)

Post by bleedsoff »

Could try this. I don't know the reputation of it so am not promoting it but I have been thinking of getting it.

http://www.car2cover.co.uk/SMART-Insurance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone know where to get alloy wheel insurance?
Last edited by bleedsoff on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VchrisW

Post by VchrisW »

Thanks guys some good suggestions, I'm hoping I will become a bit more relaxed about it given time but at the moment, it's like a family member to me and I would be pretty angry if I saw someone not showing it respect.

I'm liking the parent/child parking option, I don't have a family yet, but I could quite easily put a sign on the back of the car and get a cheapo car seat!! :)

Another option is get a doctor on call badge made up I guess and just park right outside anywhere I go...think that may be taking it a little too far though!!
Gilez
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Folding mirrors, luxury mats, Black leather interior, DAB RCD510 Radio, Sill Protectors

LED side, interior, number plate, puddle and footwell lights.

DRL coded off, so side lights only. Beep for alarm set/unset coded on.

Build Week 5 2010
10.02.10 - on the boat to the UK
20.02.10 - Took delivery

Post by Gilez »

I have exactly that same issue - it make my misssus get very annoyed with me at times, as I will drive around a car-park for ages before deciding where to park.

For me, I park in an end spot in a car-park, thus limiting potential damage by people opening their doors to the one side only, and park as close to the side of the spot as possible. If in a mult-storey , I park in a space where there is a column between spaces, which hopefully gives you a few more cm's between you and the next car. I also park far away from everyone else to reduce the likelyhood of someone parking next to me.

If the carpark if fullish, I too park next to someone who has a new or well looked after car.

I also avoid parking next to people carriers, vans, any commercial vehivles and cars with child seats in.

As you can tell, I have thought about this (perhaps) too often :D
I can rely on my car, it's my Roc!!!
VchrisW

Post by VchrisW »

I've only had it a day Gilez and it's already stressing me out! Glad I'm not the only one though! Someone should start a website called "Park my car safely" which you can login to and use private spaces across the UK from people that also use the service, you could get paid everytime someone uses yours and then pay when you use others?!?! Would need a lot of locations though and probably quite unviable!
mrbojangles
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: 18" Interlagos, parking sensors, multifunction steering wheel, electric folding mirrors, mats

Post by mrbojangles »

It will be something on my mind once I take delivery, but I keep trying to remind myself I bought the car to enjoy it, not cause me stress.
I think as long as basic precautions are taken as mentioned above, then the rest is down to chance.
There is always the possibility of some idiot opening their doors without cheeking, kids brushing past etc.

For me it will be park properly in a bay that has reasonable room either side (so, avoiding 4x4's etc), is not next to a banger and is not at the end of an aisle (or where people walk past the most).

Also, always fold mirrors in :yes:
bleedsoff
Options: Truffle Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, DAB and Flat Tyre Indicator!:)

Post by bleedsoff »

mrbojangles wrote:Also, always fold mirrors in :yes:
Hence got me some electric folding one :clap:
Searchin4aRoc
Options: Truffle Leather / Bi-Zenons / Pano-roof / Rear Parking Sensors / Cruise Control

Post by Searchin4aRoc »

I parked at the far end of an almost empty Burger King carpark in Coleraine last night.

Safest spot in the place!!

As I sat down to eat, I looked out the window to see a dirty (white!) transit van swing round the carpark, and reverse into the space immediately beside mine.

There were rows of empty spaces in the car park ... why on earth did he insist on parking immediately beside me?!

Lesson: you cannot be too careful - idiots are always on the loose! :D
caprinolaw
Options: Bi-Xenon Headlights, Cruise Control, Scirocco Floors Mats, Boot Liner

Post by caprinolaw »

bleedsoff wrote:Could try this. I don't know the reputation of it so am not promoting it but I have been thinking of getting it.

http://www.car2cover.co.uk/SMART-Insurance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have to say this looks great!

I have my car on PCP, and considering they will charge you and arm and a leg if the car is returned in an unsatisfactory condition this would be ideal.

I am just about to return my Golf (prior to getting my Roc) and i have just spent £450 on having the alloys retfurbished, scratches buffed out, all dents and dings removed (and a large piece of front bumper someone scratched).
Jay.

30.06.2010 - Rocco ordered.
09.09.2010 - Rocco delivered.
Gilez
Options: Folding mirrors, luxury mats, Black leather interior, DAB RCD510 Radio, Sill Protectors

LED side, interior, number plate, puddle and footwell lights.

DRL coded off, so side lights only. Beep for alarm set/unset coded on.

Build Week 5 2010
10.02.10 - on the boat to the UK
20.02.10 - Took delivery

Post by Gilez »

Searchin4aRoc wrote:I parked at the far end of an almost empty Burger King carpark in Coleraine last night.

Safest spot in the place!!

As I sat down to eat, I looked out the window to see a dirty (white!) transit van swing round the carpark, and reverse into the space immediately beside mine.

There were rows of empty spaces in the car park ... why on earth did he insist on parking immediately beside me?!

Lesson: you cannot be too careful - idiots are always on the loose! :D

Or he knew you wouldn't bang the side of his van with your door :D
I can rely on my car, it's my Roc!!!
Searchin4aRoc
Options: Truffle Leather / Bi-Zenons / Pano-roof / Rear Parking Sensors / Cruise Control

Post by Searchin4aRoc »

Gilez wrote:Or he knew you wouldn't bang the side of his van with your door :D
There's always a silver lining in every cloud :grumpy:
Lovepug13

Post by Lovepug13 »

Dont visit the supermarket......shop online for food to limit the opportunity of supermarket damage. lol
stuaz
In: Deep Black
Options: Sat Nav, Winter Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise Control.

Post by stuaz »

I always find that if you park alone, someone will always come and park next to you.

I think it's all down to the fact that some people can't park unless they have a reference point of a solid object (not the white lines). What worries me is that they are using my car as that reference point....................... *crash*
Now a Proud Owner!
bleedsoff

Post by bleedsoff »

caprinolaw wrote:
bleedsoff wrote:Could try this. I don't know the reputation of it so am not promoting it but I have been thinking of getting it.

I have to say this looks great!

I have my car on PCP, and considering they will charge you and arm and a leg if the car is returned in an unsatisfactory condition this would be ideal.

I am just about to return my Golf (prior to getting my Roc) and i have just spent £450 on having the alloys retfurbished, scratches buffed out, all dents and dings removed (and a large piece of front bumper someone scratched).
There are limitations on that insurance the dent/scratch can only be a certain size. Read it all before you buy. But as you say good be good value. I need to look at it in more detail.
coldel
In: Deep Black

Post by coldel »

I was super careful with parking, and always paid so much attention always parking on ends etc. Then the other day my car was parked on a side street and when I returned it had been inexplicabley smashed into and green paint left on my shiny black roc. Really, there is nothing you can do about it, luckily a company called Revive came over and in 2 hours did a completely perfect repair job.
Searchin4aRoc

Post by Searchin4aRoc »

Ultra annoying! :grumpy:
Tolkan

Post by Tolkan »

Im exactly the same.. I remember I used to take note of the 2 cars I'd park next to just incase! :L License plate.. everything :P