Calling all 1.4 122ps owners and Scirocco enthusiasts!!!

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Hughesy88
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Interlagos, fog lights, sat nav, tints, leather

Re: Calling all 1.4 122ps owners and Scirocco enthusiasts!!!

Post by Hughesy88 »

i have a 122 on order for delivery in Sept, i went for the 122 as i had a lower budget and being only 22 and having my own insurance for the first time, im coming from a 1.25 03reg fiesta lx with around 75bhp, im sure i will notice a difference? is the 122 quick compared to say standard focuses and astras?

thanks
caprinolaw
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
With a: DSG box
Options: Bi-Xenon Headlights, Cruise Control, Scirocco Floors Mats, Boot Liner

Post by caprinolaw »

Insurance seems to be the main consideration when your young.

Im only 23 and the insurance on my 170 2.0TDI is a ridiculous £1200pa! (Takes the piss when your dad drives a 4.3L Sports car for £250pa)

Bring on being 25 (only for the insurance drop).
Jay.

30.06.2010 - Rocco ordered.
09.09.2010 - Rocco delivered.
Shooter
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Sumatra
Options: Inter's,Mats,Tints,Hill hold and flat tyre indicator.

Post by Shooter »

Hughesy88 wrote:i have a 122 on order for delivery in Sept, i went for the 122 as i had a lower budget and being only 22 and having my own insurance for the first time, im coming from a 1.25 03reg fiesta lx with around 75bhp, im sure i will notice a difference? is the 122 quick compared to say standard focuses and astras?

thanks
Yes, i've drove both before I got my 1.4 tsi. It's an unbeilvable engine, it's scary to think what the bigger engines are like on the scirocco.

Trust me you will love it, I was worried about it being a 1.4 but it's nothing like one if you get me...
Hughesy88

Post by Hughesy88 »

thanks, well i test drove it but never really pushed it, i was scared to crash haha! hopefully its a good drive :)
Hughesy88

Post by Hughesy88 »

Any more input regards the power compared to the focuses and astras etc? Thanks
pat15312
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Gloss black 19" RS4s; GT Spec; Leather; RNS510 & Dynaudio; rSAP; Alloy pedals & sills; Gloss black plastics; Revo Select+; H&R 35mm springs & 10mm spacers; Forge FMIC, Intake, BOV, Quickshift; Milltek T/back, Sports cat & Downpipe.

Post by pat15312 »

Alfie3121 wrote:I've just ordered a 1.4 122ps. I'm 21 and I loved the style, drive and the fact the insurance and cost were affordable. Not so much the guys on here but the people on the SciroccoNet forum slate the bugger out of it! (none of them own one mind you)
I can understand why, it dilutes the brand. The 1.4 160ps is, in all honesty, underpowered for the car. However a quick remap sorts this out pretty easily. The 122ps is just all show an no go. Its actually a pretty pointless car & engine combination imho. I personally would have saved up and waited till I was a bit older. Sorry!
222bhp & 340Nm
pishpashposh

Post by pishpashposh »

pat15312 wrote:
Alfie3121 wrote:I've just ordered a 1.4 122ps. I'm 21 and I loved the style, drive and the fact the insurance and cost were affordable. Not so much the guys on here but the people on the SciroccoNet forum slate the bugger out of it! (none of them own one mind you)
I can understand why, it dilutes the brand. The 1.4 160ps is, in all honesty, underpowered for the car. However a quick remap sorts this out pretty easily. The 122ps is just all show an no go. Its actually a pretty pointless car & engine combination imho. I personally would have saved up and waited till I was a bit older. Sorry!
Hmmm, the scirocco is all about 'show' really as its not a performance car, if you want a really quick coupe then you wouldn't buy a VW at all! Its based on the Golf which has the same engines and the only thing that differentiates it is the show.
Hughesy88

Post by Hughesy88 »

Pat, your view is very narrow minded, young people like me with high insurance would like a nice car.... a 122ps is still a nippy car? and at the end of the day 70mph is the legal limit and im pretty sure it does that, and does it well. I bought the car based on its look, im not a boy racer who needs a very fast car. 122ps is enough for most people and if we like the look of the car and can only afford the isirance for it then why not?
Crossbone
In: Rising Blue
Options: Sports package with black alcantara leather seats, metal pedals, tinted rear windows, 18' Interlagos, multi-function steering wheel, rcd 510, 2 zone climatronic, armrest, premium mats, winter package, lights and mirrors package, aluminum foot rest, covered cup holder.

Post by Crossbone »

Hughesy88 wrote:Pat, your view is very narrow minded, young people like me with high insurance would like a nice car.... a 122ps is still a nippy car? and at the end of the day 70mph is the legal limit and im pretty sure it does that, and does it well. I bought the car based on its look, im not a boy racer who needs a very fast car. 122ps is enough for most people and if we like the look of the car and can only afford the isirance for it then why not?
Definitely +1 !
bleedsoff
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Sumatra
Options: Truffle Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, DAB and Flat Tyre Indicator!:)

Post by bleedsoff »

Hughesy88 wrote:Pat, your view is very narrow minded, young people like me with high insurance would like a nice car.... a 122ps is still a nippy car? and at the end of the day 70mph is the legal limit and im pretty sure it does that, and does it well. I bought the car based on its look, im not a boy racer who needs a very fast car. 122ps is enough for most people and if we like the look of the car and can only afford the isirance for it then why not?
+2, well said lad. I just want a tourer really bit of acceleration is preferable as well to overtake so hence the 140TDI and insurance for me 24 years old, 4 years NCB protected now approx £800 :fall: . Its only money though :D
Hughesy88

Post by Hughesy88 »

my current car (scirocco on order for sept) is a fiesta 1.25 with 75bhp.... so a 122 scirocco is a good step up, people saying 'oh 122 whats the point' obviously dont consider everyones needs. i have 0 no claims and im getting my insurance on my own for the first time, its going to cost me a fortune on a 122 nevermind a remapped 160 or whatever.

Plus im 22, 2 months into my first job after uni, im so excited to get my car and i will be made up and thorougly satisfied and proud to own a 122 at my age.
risingblue1
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Sat Nav, Private plate

Post by risingblue1 »

I agree with that it will still be superb. And without being patronising you have plenty of time to work upto the more powerful models. I had a similar power Mini Cooper when I was 22/23 then went through the Cooper S and the GT Scirocco and now the R when I turned 30 and must say its nice to appreciate each car. And TBH the Mini Cooper with that power was great even now looking back.
kscotland
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Sunroof, 18" wheels, Sporty steering wheel, privacy back windows

Post by kscotland »

I agree that Pats view is very limited. The reason a company makes different models is to suit people with various requirements. Not everyone wants a car that guzzles fuel etc, and power is not always the biggest consideration. Lets be honest about the facts, 122bhps is hardly slow.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

the irony of Pats comments is i'm sure he went for the 1.4 as he was suffering insurance issues on a 2.0 ;)
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
whitehorn
Options: multifunction steering wheel
winter pack
rear sensors
cruise (i'll fit myself)

Post by whitehorn »

I'm lucky enough to have driven every engine/model and for ME the 'R' is a bit full on for everday use. If i had a choice it would be the 1.4 twin charge 160ps, as its good at most things and puts a smile on my face evertime i drive that engine. I recently purchased a 122ps for my wife which she loves, we found it difficult to justify an extra £2k on a change over price of £9k, for a car that does 6000 miles a year. Its as cheap as golf, looks fantastic, drives better, great spec and will hold its value. So the overall lifetime running costs will be relatively low.
MkI & MkII were never fast and in fact the MkIII 122ps is as fast as all but the fastest. Other Scirocco drivers should stop worrying about other members cars and just get on with driving and enjoying a great car. People should buy the model that meets their requirements. Plus i haven't seen any 'R' owners dissing those slow 200-210ps low powered editions, for diluting the model image. Live and Let Live.
skyblues11
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: cruise control, front foglight, Multi.f.steering wheel,
tyre indicator

Post by skyblues11 »

For me, the car is like a trophy wife. people will see you and say 'wow, what a lucky guy!' They will not ask you ' hey, does she shave or wax? and what is she like in bed?'. Any version of the 'roc turns heads, so anything else is down to personal prerferences, options etc.

only the driver will notice the bhp and how useful it is to them.

In the UK these days with cameras and traffic lights everywhere, there is simply no where to expand any amount of bhp. Any car these days can do over 100mph. IMO, bhp figures is just a bit of an ego booster.

For me, what i value besides design, is the handling and grip. if money is unlimited, i would have my second car as the Atom Ariel ( as a summer car only!)
khiladi
Options: Vienna black leather seats, premium and sports packet, back sensors, radio 310 with Dynaudio, , dual-zone climate and 18 inch tires.

Post by khiladi »

They will not ask you ' hey, does she shave or wax? and what is she like in bed?'.

lol
RoccoScientist
In: Viper Green

Post by RoccoScientist »

Having driven a bit over 6200 miles on the 122 hp Scirocco, I can say that for everyday use it is all you need. If you won't test drive the 160 hp version and have buddies who are into tuning cars, I think you'll be more than happy with its performance. When I bought my Scirocco, I decided I would rather spend my money on Dynaudio, bi-xenons and such instead of the 160 hp version and I've been quite happy with my choice. Even though I've been infected by a mild case of tuning-fever, I think I'd still go for the 122 hp version if I had to choose which version to buy now. The 160 hp version is noticeably quicker and sounds a lot more fun as well, but the twin-charged 1.4 TSI has had some reliability issues I'm not willing to deal with. The 200 hp 2.0 TSI (as well as the 210 hp 2.0 TSI, I'm sure) is even quicker, but only comes with a DSG - which I'd rather do without - and doesn't sound as good as the 160 hp twin-charger. I'd even go so far as to say that the coarse sound of the 2.0 TSI is less pleasant than the sound made by the 122 hp 1.4 TSI, but this is of course just my personal opinion. Finally, if I had the money to buy a Scirocco R, I'd probably buy an Audi TT with a bit less power instead. ;)

Anyways, if you at some point get the feeling that you'd like a bit more power than the 122 hp, the 1.4 TSI engine can be remapped to give around 160 hp.
Ryy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

I am happy for you. I've only ever owned 2 cars this being my 2nd one. I have the 2.0TSI, with some mods. All declared and I'm paying under £1k. I'd recommend getting a woman (preferebly your mom if she drives!) on the policy as a named driver (also helps if you're at work and you need your car taking somewhere) and a tracker fitted. Those two, I'd recommend greatly. Enjoy!
Actus Reus
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

Post by Actus Reus »

122hp still puts the Roc, what, 23hp ahead of a Focus 1.6? My first motor, many, many, many moons ago was an Almera GTi and I paid £1500 p/a to insure that - and that was back in 2000 so God knows what inflation would have done to that. Bottomline is that driving isn't JUST about power - a 122hp car makes you focus more on carrying speed, good lines, the actual FEEL of driving etc etc. I think it's a great choice, and, as a driver gets older, he tends to increase the perfomance of his car as the premiums come down (says the man who has just come from a 300hp car to a 200hp Roc).

I think it's a decent choice - rather than ask 'Should I have got a more powerful Rocco' I'd be more interested to read 'What else is available for the money' - there's loads of nice metal at that money, and I wonder if anybody could think of an alternative with similar running costs...