OMG I'm going to die

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box

OMG I'm going to die

Post by avatar157 »

Had my 2.0 TSI GT for about 7 months now and never really pushed it so to speak, the Roc is a allot different from a Smart Roadster!

Anyway late for an important meeting last week had about 30 minutes to drive 33 miles on A roads and although going fast on the straights I always took it easy on the bends etc, the journey was known to me very well so no surprises. But mind was ticking over what I was going to say at the meeting and took my mind off the road for a minute and suddenly approached a gradually tightening left hander and far too fast for my bottle factor!...Too late to brake really, but it was two lanes to had room to drift...into the bend expecting to end up in the garden centre opposite...tighter..shit...tighter..Kin Ell...bloody hell car just seemed to squat down on the road and with no fuss whatsoever, no drift, no tyre squeal just stuck like sh1t to a blanket.

This car with the DSG is just brilliant boys and girls :clap:
monkeyman
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking sensers
cruise control

Re: OMG I'm going to die

Post by monkeyman »

I had a simalar brown trouser moment a few months ago while seeing what my car can do. Came off a long right hand flyover and floored it and watched the speedo get higher and higher. Bouncing down the bumpy road as I didnt want to put it in sport (as I enjoy eating with my own teeth) im still watching my speedo, 120, 125, 130 mph I glanced down at the speedo and back to the road. Oh shit bend, put the brakes on and just make it round inches from the steel certral resivation.
littleyellowspider
Options: Black Leather

Post by littleyellowspider »

Would have been two different stories with a little moisture on the roads.
mordred1973
In: Salsa Red
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Post by mordred1973 »

back off mid bend tho....and the rear end does start to go into oversteer....as I found out the other week....on a damp road!
monkeyman
cruise control

Post by monkeyman »

It was raining thats why I went so wide. Ive been going round realy tight rounabouts in 1st and getting the tail right out with liftoff oversteer. Having fun and not breaking the speed limit.lol.
mordred1973
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Post by mordred1973 »

ya hooligan Monkey :hyper:
monkeyman
cruise control

Post by monkeyman »

Live fast die young. Ill loose my licence soon tho.lol.
Kev
Administrator
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced now by an F-Type.

Post by Kev »

If it's all going wrong you should be able to feel the anti crash gizmo kicking in and backing off the power and gently braking for you.

There's a really open bendy dual carriageway that I go along on the way to my parents and my old car used to get tip toey at about 60 but the roc is solid at 70-80 but I got it a bit wrong once as one of the bends was a bit tighter than I remembered and I could definitely feel the car slowing on its own. I wasn't anywhere near binning it but the front was washing out a little.

Post by avatar157 »

Seriously it' got an anti crash thing?? <----not read a page of the manual BTW :)
Kev
Administrator
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced now by an F-Type.

Post by Kev »

Like most new cars now it's got ESP (electronic stablisation programme) which, according to the brochure...

The sensor-controlled Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) recognises critical driving situations and reacts in milliseconds by controlling the speed of individual wheels, helping to bring the vehicle under control.
stuaz
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: Sat Nav, Winter Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise Control.

Post by stuaz »

Great on Roundabouts - can go round faster than normal.
Now a Proud Owner!
monkeyman
cruise control

Post by monkeyman »

Kev wrote:Like most new cars now it's got ESP (electronic stablisation programme) which, according to the brochure...

The sensor-controlled Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) recognises critical driving situations and reacts in milliseconds by controlling the speed of individual wheels, helping to bring the vehicle under control.
Not if you turn it off. :D
mordred1973

Post by mordred1973 »

ah...Autocar mag said you can't fully turn off the VW systems....
monkeyman
cruise control

Post by monkeyman »

Ive no idea. All I no is if I press and hold the ESP button a couple seconds it comes up on the trip computer ESP OFF and then the ESP warning light on the instrument cluster flashes untill I turn it back on again.
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

The ESP is not fully off even when you've disengaged it and the warning symbol is flashing - it still lurks in the background ready to spoil your fun / save your ass if needed!

Deacon
playing in my '86
monkeyman
cruise control

Post by monkeyman »

As long as it dont cut the power when I try a lunch start from the lights. Its realy anoying when it does that, It feels like its stalled and then just takes off again.
pat15312
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Gloss black 19" RS4s; GT Spec; Leather; RNS510 & Dynaudio; rSAP; Alloy pedals & sills; Gloss black plastics; Revo Select+; H&R 35mm springs & 10mm spacers; Forge FMIC, Intake, BOV, Quickshift; Milltek T/back, Sports cat & Downpipe.

Post by pat15312 »

yeh even if you turn the esp off and go round a wide roadabout and try a little lift off over steer mid way round, you can feel the esp cut power and brake the individual corners to try and straighten you out. basically with esp off, you can floor the throttle and keep it planted without the esp traction control kicking in to cut power to the front wheels. so basically it will allow you to do massive 11's lol
222bhp & 340Nm
mordred1973

Post by mordred1973 »

so in effect all it does is switch off the traction control?
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

following a scientific experiment last week 4wd Golf R FTW ;)
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
denmade

Post by denmade »

ESP saved my ass on the EVO triangle a few weeks back when i got a little too confident (read cocky)

from my limited experience, 2700 miles 2.0 TSI - the harder you turn into corners the tighter the 'roc tucks in (especially in sport)