Test Drove a Scirocco R and..

Everything about the R for potential owners.
peters
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: leather, parking sensors, sat nav, folding mirrors.

Test Drove a Scirocco R and..

Post by peters »

Hi, test drove a Scirocco R manual this morning and if anyone is still two minded about buying one don't be - it is fantastic. I have been fortunate to have owned quite a few nice cars over the last few years including a Mercedes AMG and Porsches and for VFM in my opinion nothing comes close to the 'R'. I was a bit concerned about the manual box, having read some slight criticsm of this, but it is absolutely fine imho. Indeed I would not consider the DSG as I believe it takes some fun out of the drive, and this is having driven a Scirocco 2.0 GT DSG at some length. Also the car I test drove had 19 inch wheels and to be honest I forgot it I had left in sport mode for a little while and the roads were definately smooth, infact littered with pot holes in places on the test drive route. This said I would stick with the 18 wheels and probably get a panrormaic roof instead.

My ideal spec is, Black met, Black Leather, Sat Nav, Rear Parking sensors and possible the pano roof.

I would be very grateful if anyone could advise any tips on what is the quickest way to get hold of a factory order at the best price. I was considering odrdering through 'New car 4 me' or similar, but I really need some advice as it seems quite a few of you have been through the heartache of waiting for one and getting the best price.

Many thanks
Peter
spamdog
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
Options: Sat nav, leather, reverse sensors, folding mirrors, 19" wheels, Dynaudio.

Re: Test Drove a Scirocco R and..

Post by spamdog »

Hi Peter, I believe all the 2010 allocations are now filled so you would therefore have to wait until the 2011 build slots are released and wait until next year.
Otherwise it's just whatever is in stock at dealers at the moment.
Only 500 builds a year I'm afraid
peters

Post by peters »

Thanks Spamdog for the reply - I was afraid of this answer. I have some contacts at VW, so will see if I can get it any earlier.
BrownBear
With a: DSG box
Options: DSG, 19" wheels, Leather, Electric Drivers Seat, Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Electric Mirrors and full Dynaudio package without 6 CD changer

Post by BrownBear »

A month to go for my new little beauty but my heart sank a little today. I was driving to work on the south coast when I pulled up to a set of traffic lights, after coming off the motorway, and saw a black R with a reg plate of something like 'SC1ROCCO' in lane next to me. Was instantly jealous and annoyed that someone else so close to where I work n live has one as well :shake:

It looks awesome though and the daylight running lights look completely mint. Loving the exhaust set up! Really had enough of waiting now but annoyed at how many stock cars have been brought in by VW instead of giving them to their patient, supportive customers who are dishing out a load of money on these motors. I'm sure it will be worth the wait though
stevai
In: Candy White
Options: 19's
No other extras... I can do hill starts, fold my mirrors, reverse park and find my way to places all by myself :)

Post by stevai »

Hi Peter

I'm not convinced by all this 'allocation gone for 2010' stuff. I ordered mine on lease last week. They use a massive main dealer in Stoke.
As I say, I ordered it last week and my car is confirmed BW16, being built to my spec (although I stress myself every day about where I ordered the right colour!). Hope that helps. If you want the name of the dealer, I can find out for you.
peters

Post by peters »

thanks guys for the replies.

BrownBear - it will definately be worth the wait, it's a fantastic car.

Stevai - yes this allocation system seems to be a bit of a lottery to me too. Grateful if you could PM your dealer if you don't mind.

I have tried my contacts at VW but have not been able to reach any of them today, so called VW customer services instead - they said if the car takes longer than 20 weeks than they will give a FOC loan car after this period in the interim. This said as you know sometimes the folks in customer services departments aren't always accurate - can anyone confirm this.

I also contacted a broker and she said that the build is on week 20 sir so you should have the car by end of May - yeah right...

VW dealers it seems are reluctant to take £30k Scirocco orders when you try and press them for a lead time (this said only contacted one dealer), a bit like Porsche dealers from yesteryear in my experience.

Still this should be good for residuals - but then I always seem out of luck when I come to sell trade on..
stevai
In: Candy White
Options: 19's
No other extras... I can do hill starts, fold my mirrors, reverse park and find my way to places all by myself :)

Post by stevai »

MIght be being stupid but I dont think I'm able to PM yet... ? :?
spamdog
Options: Sat nav, leather, reverse sensors, folding mirrors, 19" wheels, Dynaudio.

Post by spamdog »

BrownBear wrote:A month to go for my new little beauty but my heart sank a little today. I was driving to work on the south coast when I pulled up to a set of traffic lights, after coming off the motorway, and saw a black R with a reg plate of something like 'SC1ROCCO' in lane next to me. Was instantly jealous and annoyed that someone else so close to where I work n live has one as well :shake:

It looks awesome though and the daylight running lights look completely mint. Loving the exhaust set up! Really had enough of waiting now but annoyed at how many stock cars have been brought in by VW instead of giving them to their patient, supportive customers who are dishing out a load of money on these motors. I'm sure it will be worth the wait though
tell me about it, went down the dealers last week and they had 2 rising blue R's sold, then I seen one of them drive past me while I was driving mine ...still love it tho, even if it is common! Lol

they also had a White golf R in the showroom today, looked nowhere near as nice as the roc, NOWHERE NEAR!!!
ed2708
Options: leather
19" rims
rear parking sensors

Post by ed2708 »

with regards to only 500 being built, i spoke to vw about this last week and this is now not the case. I was told that there is no limit on the number and that they were being built to order. You can now get pretty good discounts on them as well upto £1500 I was offered last week. A bit of a kick in the teeth for everyone that has them ordered and is paying full price.
ed2708
Options: leather
19" rims
rear parking sensors

Post by ed2708 »

or thought they were getting a slighty exclusive car. love veedub!
Vibester
Options: Navigation with Dynaudio, Parking sensors, Leather interior and 19"s.

Post by Vibester »

I ordered on Saturday for a proposed September 1st delivery, what with the recent R division being set up, it would be silly for them not to follow this up with further production.
SilverChariot
Options: Acutally, it's a Golf R.

Post by SilverChariot »

peters wrote:I have tried my contacts at VW but have not been able to reach any of them today, so called VW customer services instead - they said if the car takes longer than 20 weeks than they will give a FOC loan car after this period in the interim. This said as you know sometimes the folks in customer services departments aren't always accurate - can anyone confirm this.
:nod: I can confirm this is indeed true. I'm driving around in a Gof loan car until my (Golf) R turns up mid-June (hopefully).
Golf R - 5 door - DSG - Rising Blue Metallic paint - 19" Gloss Black Talladegas - Leather - RNS 510 - Parking sensors - Cruise control

spamdog

Post by spamdog »

ed2708 wrote:with regards to only 500 being built, i spoke to vw about this last week and this is now not the case. I was told that there is no limit on the number and that they were being built to order. You can now get pretty good discounts on them as well upto £1500 I was offered last week. A bit of a kick in the teeth for everyone that has them ordered and is paying full price.
Hmm, not sure about them exceeding the 500 build slots.
As for built to order, try telling that to the people on here that have still not had a confirmed build slot.
Did put a sweet taste in my mouth getting the car before the price rises tho :D
peters

Post by peters »

Okay guys, been reliably informed, you can get an R within 4 to 5 months.
spamdog

Post by spamdog »

So have you ordered then! :clap:
peters

Post by peters »

spamdog wrote:So have you ordered then! :clap:
Almost. Credit has been approved, now just need to send the signed order form back.

Spec is:

Met Black
Leather
Sat Nav
Parking Sensors
Folding Mirrors

Been advised delivery should be July but judging by some other posts, who knows!

Would like delivery in September to benefit from the new '60' reg.