Rattly Windscreen

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
VW TT
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, Phone Prep, Bluefin, Winter Pack, K&N kit, flux bulbs, LED interior bulbs, kw v1 coilovers, LED DRL's, Focal 165 speakers, 19" VMR V710 gunmetal

Re: Rattly Windscreen

Post by VW TT »

Thanks for that, I will have a better look at the whole plastic panel then to see if I can pin point it. Fingers crossed! Thanks for your help.
niggy
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Salsa Red

Post by niggy »

Yay !!!!!!!!!!! My rattle / vibration has gone it was the scuttle cover - peace at last !
niggy
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140

Post by niggy »

Rattle returned ! Now booked into stealers based on fact it is 2 weeks old and I don't think I should have to mess about solving it. Will give update after it returns
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

RW1 wrote:Decided to investigate this problem today. Although I didn't have the problem (yet!), what I found was mine was close to doing it.

So what's causing it? The scuttle cover is contacting the inner wing bodywork suspension turret area. See first photo, contact points are the red arrows. It can happen on both sides of the car but it seems the driver's side skuttle panel covering the wiper motor is much closer to the inner wing.

This is how I fixed it. Take the rubber skuttle/engine bay seal aside. Lift the skuttle panel. You will see the skuttle panel has a right angled (90') edge. It is this edge that contacts the bodywork. Cut a small piece of Velcro felt pad and stick it in th earea where the skuttle panel contacts the inner wing suspension turret bodywork.

(My photo shows a piece of anti-squeak tape under the velcro pad in the event if the pad wears through to protect the paint, not absolutely necessary.)

C.
ok so I decided to see if this was the problem that's causing the rattle under acceleration.
I taped and sounded like was hitting the turret area. Applied some of the foam I had laying around. Didn't make a a noise after just a thud which meant it was then hitting foam. So I went for a test drive and all the way there under harsh acceleration it was blissful. All the way home there was no noise. Untill the last half a mile and then suddenly the noise returned. So I'm clueless to what the noise is. I have done the bonnet strut and now this. Still no cure.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
salsajoe
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
With a: Manual box
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Post by salsajoe »

I had a small rattle that I eventually traced to the washer jet. One was not a tight fit and appears to have been the cause. Cut and stuck a small peice of felt between the washer jet and bonnet skin on the underside of the bonnet. Found the fault by trying to see what movement there was when gently pushing the washer jet from the underside.