Hypermiling

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
ashley1407
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Cruise Control, Metallic Paint, Fiscon Bluetooth, Bleep on locking.

Revo Remap.

Hypermiling

Post by ashley1407 »

Now this will probably only be of interest to the diesel owner amongst us but I've noticed that in the last couple of weeks, my car seems to have 'loosened up' with regards to economy. It still feels the same to drive and economy has always been good but I've observed a substantial improvement recently. I can't help feeling that it's come at the best time what with everyone being shafted over the hike in fuel prices.

Anyway, heres a photo I took of the MFD when I was sat at some lights in Nottingham. A new personal record for me!
IMG_0102.JPG
It actually went up to 72.1 shortly after but I was moving then and wouldn't dream of taking a photo! :nod:

Anyone else have some economy records?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deb
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: Cruise control, flat tyre indicator

Re: Hypermiling

Post by Deb »

Blimey: I was chuffed to bits with mine getting 50.5mpg on a steady 102 mile run home from Swansea the other day. That was with a steady run of 80mph ish on the M4/M5 with the godawful 50mph bit of the M4 from Newport past Cardiff to deal with.

How far had you gone when you achieved that memoral mpg?

Mine's got around 2000 miles on the clock now, so it would seem that 5k is the magic number.
Ibanez33
Options: Mats, Electric folding wing mirrors, parking sensors, Sil protectors, Philips Crystal vision bulbs.

Post by Ibanez33 »

Wow, something to look forward to..
robmx
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Winter Pack, Cruise Control, Parking Sensors.

Post by robmx »

I got 32mpg following a learner drive home from work last night, that was a new record for me, usually struggle to get above 25 when I have a clear run :D
ashley1407
Options: Cruise Control, Metallic Paint, Fiscon Bluetooth, Bleep on locking.

Revo Remap.

Post by ashley1407 »

Deb wrote:How far had you gone when you achieved that memoral mpg?

Not too far, I'd just come off the motorway after about 15 miles. I'm a pretty relaxed driver anyway and rarely break the limits - I'm a young driver so I can't risk points on my insurance premium. That, coupled with the busy motorway during my commute and only being able to go about 70mph on the clock makes for some good economy! On the times I have caned it on the 'twisties' it still does about 49mpg!
littleyellowspider
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather

Post by littleyellowspider »

I saw 43.1 last night.

Average speed cameras have been installed on the best stretch of road on my 26mile commute :(
funnyroc
Options: Cruise and parking sensors ... nothing else :-(

Post by funnyroc »

I never get these mpgs! :-( .... if I average 40mpg on a tank then I am happy.
sir_rocco
In: Reflex Silver

Post by sir_rocco »

I Think you may find that the economy has improved in part due to the rise in temps. My old 03 plate TDi polo used to do 59-60MPG average in the summer but only 52-53 in the winter. I have no experience of the CR diesels but I would imagine its the same with them, maybe due to the viscosity of the diesel at lower temps, more friction in the engine or just lesser fuel burn efficiency in cold air.

Anyway, thats impressive mpg mate when we are getting stiffed at the pumps. :(
Taken delivery : Silver, DSG, NAV, Black Leather, Park Sensors, Winter pack.

Mods: Full Milltek, KW lowering springs,Wheel Spacers, Remapped to 258BHP, 405Nm
Deb

Post by Deb »

funnyroc wrote:I never get these mpgs! :-( .... if I average 40mpg on a tank then I am happy.
I've averaged 45mpg over the first 2000 miles. That's been a combination of a sensible first thousand miles, trying out the economy driving, a roundabout rich run from Northampton to Aylesbury via Milton Keynes yesterday (43.2mpg argh) and a couple of really good fun roar-arounds, oh, and one or two racing type starts out of the Severn Bridge tolls and a bit of town/shopping driving.

Due to this being a company car I only get the goverment recommended 11p per mile, so need to be running at an average of around 47.7mpg just to break even.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

strangely kev and me were impressed when i got mine down to 4.5mpg :D
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Ibanez33
Options: Mats, Electric folding wing mirrors, parking sensors, Sil protectors, Philips Crystal vision bulbs.

Post by Ibanez33 »

Equally impressive.. What do you have to be doing to get that?
gavmac89
Options: Winter Pack, Sensors, Mats, Metal Pedals and Electric Folding Mirrors, Premium Sills and boot liner

Post by gavmac89 »

Very impressive!!! I managed to get 62mpg during rush hour from glasgow to edinburgh along the M8 and i did boot it once or twice, my mileage is just over 1000 so far, bring on the price increase!!!!
grutland
In: Shadow Blue
Options: Cruise, Dynaudio, DAB, De-badged, Tyre Flat Indicators, Front and Rear Mats!

Post by grutland »

This is very encouraging for me - I placed an order for my 170 3 weeks ago and thought long and hard about the 170 TDi vs the TSi and the fact I do 20K a year.... Sounds like I made the right decision!!!
ayc1985
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Parking Sensors
Pano Sunroof
Cruise Control
Vienna Leather
Black 18' Talladegas

To come:

Sat Nav
Bluetooth

Post by ayc1985 »

Highest I've seen is 63.3, this was after first buying the car. Now its 9500miles in(!) and my average on my commutes to Milton Keynes and Reasing is 51.

Lowest I've ever seen was caining it up a really steel incline for a few miles, 11mpg! :)
ryancooke
Options: xenons, folding mirrors, dynamic audio, floor mats (free) autoglym (free)

now modified with dump valve, boost gauge in custom made vent, "gt" steering wheel badge, carbon fibre badges, rs4 wheels, lowered 35mm, private plate S18OCO, custom de-cat and cat back exhaust with quad tips, air filter behind fog lamp heat wrapped, customised front bumper grills painted gloss black, customised rear bumper smoothed and lower spoiler painted gloss black, mouldings and mirrors sprayed in gloss black, gloss black roof and rear spoiler, colour coded dash trims, door trims, centre console trims and rear seat trims, led fog light bulbs, s3 intercooler, audi a4 "S line" gear knob, newspeed hi-flow throttle body pipe, newspeed hi-flow turbo pipe, uprated dog mount bush, front to back and side to side quickshift, 20mm front spacers

Post by ryancooke »

i managed to get 42mpg out of my old petrol one on a 280mile round trip :yes:
MY CARS IS SOLD 21.5K BETTER OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Deb

Post by Deb »

I've been trying to prove it's not possible to break even using the government recommended mileage rates for company car drivers, so have spent the last couple of days sticking rigidly to speed limits. Got this on a 73 mile trip over to Cardiff today:

Flipping boring mind. Think I'm happier enjoying driving and losing a few quid a week.
stuaz
In: Deep Black
Options: Sat Nav, Winter Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise Control.

Post by stuaz »

Deb wrote:Flipping boring mind. Think I'm happier enjoying driving and losing a few quid a week.
+1

I am happy if I get 50ish. Anything above is a bonus, but I don't "aim" for fuel economy - I drive my car :P (Not a boy racer!) :lol:
Now a Proud Owner!
maisbitt
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Seems to be less of a difference in economy between the 140CR and the 170 CR than the old PD units. I've had both a 140 PD Golf and a 170 PD Golf, and around the doors I could easily manage 51mpg in the 140, but lucky to do over 44mpg in the 170.

I currently get around 45mpg in the winter and 50mpg in the summer around the doors and up to 58mpg on a constant 80mph dual carriageway journey of about 40 miles. Haven't tried rigidly sticking to 70mpg to see what happens - i'd imagine 65mpg average would easily be achievable on a long journey at 70mph.

Main reason for better summer economy is humidity. Warm air has a higher capacity for moisture and that moisture increases the gas expansion on combustion per stroke over cold and relatively dry winter air. higher density of diesel in the winter also plays a role in a fuel consumption increase in winter.

Don't forget also for those with newish cars that the fuel economy figure may not be entirely accurate. Form new, I noticed that my indicated economy was up to 11% more than the actual economy (worked out by taking fuel consumption between fills to full and dividing miles indicated by that consumtion. The indicated ecconomy got more accurate over 5000 miles and is now within 3% of actual (maybe fuel metering or rounding errors by the computer that get more accurate over time?).
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
Kratos47
Options: Black 'Vienna' leather seats, 19" Lugano Alloys, Panoramic Sunroof, Winter pack.

Post by Kratos47 »

The most if have got is 45mpg at present on a 210 mile journey to Wales and back. Did have to put my toe down a touch at times to get past those god awful caravans being towed 30mph religioulsy by a retired couple in their Rover 75.
Deagol
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Post by Deagol »

My 170TDI will return anything from 50 to 59 mpg on the 11 mile commute - a mixture of good old Cornish B roads and unclassified too - but that is only with 1,300 miles on the clock. Nothing too sluggish but no boy racer either. Longer runs depend on the weight of my right foot coupled with the number of caravans I meet. :hyper:

When I took the dealship demonstrator out fix months ago, it had closer to 8,000 on the clock and the consumption was better. Dealer also told me the engine had "loosened up" a lot after 5,000 miles and yes, it certainly flew. Waiting for another 3,700 on mine to get up to full flying speed!
Baptised with Aerosmith