DRLs

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

DRLs

Post by wigit »

so nice having had the drl's switched off, think there are a few of us, now the auto lights make sense
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
dchuraman
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box

Re: DRLs

Post by dchuraman »

how did you get yours done? at the dealer?
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

needed a few bit attending to at the dealer and asked if they would do it, told me they had changed the code and it was done, no charge, result
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
dchuraman

Post by dchuraman »

thats good as mines going in soon for a few bits so will get them to do it then
morrissey
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Golf R, 3 door, manual, leather, sunroof, 19" alloys, ACC, cruise, comfort and storage packs

Post by morrissey »

Does anybody prefer the DRLs on ?

If so, why ?
CTRnutter
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Winter Pack, Leather, Alu Pedals, GT Steering Wheel Badge, Side Sills, Superchips Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res, K&N Induction Kit

Post by CTRnutter »

morrissey wrote:Does anybody prefer the DRLs on ?

If so, why ?
Yes as it is law for any car built after 2009/2010 (not sure on exact date) to have them fitted as standard, also anything that highlights your position on the road to other road users can only be a good thing, when you have driven westfields and had a HGV pull onto you because they didnt know you were there you'd probably understand better lol!

Volvo have been doing for years without to many complaints :) 8)
Car is now Sold!!!!! BMW 7 Series for now as nice and big but holding out for something a little special as my toy :)
NickO
In: Candy White
Options: Truffle Leather, Panaromic Roof, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Premium Mats, Boot Liner

Post by NickO »

Yeah, had mine turned off by the dealer without charge too, :)
iAmbu
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Post by iAmbu »

CTRnutter wrote:Volvo have been doing for years without to many complaints :) 8)
Volvos DRLs are only the side lights though aren't they? Whereas Scirocco has dipped headlights always on?
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1
CTRnutter
Options: Winter Pack, Leather, Alu Pedals, GT Steering Wheel Badge, Side Sills, Superchips Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res, K&N Induction Kit

Post by CTRnutter »

iambu wrote:
CTRnutter wrote:Volvo have been doing for years without to many complaints :) 8)
Volvos DRLs are only the side lights though aren't they? Whereas Scirocco has dipped headlights always on?
Yeah I think you're right, thats what i meant lol :) :D

Have a read here though :)

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArtic ... rs/235211/
Car is now Sold!!!!! BMW 7 Series for now as nice and big but holding out for something a little special as my toy :)
easybreeze
Options: Parking Sensors
Smokers Pack

Post by easybreeze »

When I test drove the Volvo I thought it would annoy me but it didn't... nice that you never had to worry about remembering to turn them off... although it does seem pointless if you have auto lights anyway!

I'm still in two minds about what I'll do when it eventually arrives! Probably turn them off just so I can experience the auto lights for a year at least - :clap: then get it put back on when it's law. :grumpy:
Arrived 23rd March '09 - Lovin' it
jonallen628
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

[was] Driver's Side Windscreen Wiper Smear

Post by jonallen628 »

Do we know what part of the Xenon headlamps are used for the daytime running light function? Surely not the dipped beam?

With the cost of Xenon bulbs i don't fancy running round with them on permanently! :shake:

If this is the case i will be getting the DRL feature switched off, maybe on Xenon cars the sidelights are the Daytime running lights? :shrug:
08/11 - 12/13 2.0 TSI R DSG, Black / Black Vienna
01/09 - 08/11 2.0 TSI GT DSG, Black / Truffle Vienna

Black is the new Black....
danbailey77
Options: Sat Nav with Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Cruise, Flat Tyre Indicator and mats.

Post by danbailey77 »

if the car is registered before they become law then they never need to be on. When i got mine turned off he said that they are only allowed to do it for the next year.
CTRnutter

Post by CTRnutter »

danbailey77 wrote:if the car is registered before they become law then they never need to be on. When i got mine turned off he said that they are only allowed to do it for the next year.
Do you not think on that basis it will highlight the age of your car? :)
gossa
Options: Scirocco's gone, MKVI GTI is replacement.

Post by gossa »

Mine are on, I want people to see me as much as poss. Not sure how i'll feel in the middle of the day in summer though.
Magnust

Post by Magnust »

i don't get it why are you guys switching them off, here they are required by law on all cars for years and it totally makes sense :)
what are the advantages of not having them i'd like to know.
Kev
Administrator
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Re: Driver's Side Windscreen Wiper Smear

Post by Kev »

jonallen628 wrote:Do we know what part of the Xenon headlamps are used for the daytime running light function? Surely not the dipped beam?

With the cost of Xenon bulbs i don't fancy running round with them on permanently! :shake:

If this is the case i will be getting the DRL feature switched off, maybe on Xenon cars the sidelights are the Daytime running lights? :shrug:
I don't quite get the difference either

This picture shows just the inner pair of lights on
http://www.media.oneighturbo.com/vw/Mod ... hturbo.jpg

And this shows the outer pair, plus the fogs plus the little lights by the indicators
http://www.media.oneighturbo.com/vw/Mod ... hturbo.jpg
albertz33
In: Viper Green
Options: dab radio, dynaudio speakers

Post by albertz33 »

Not law in this country until 2010, alot of opposition from cyclists etc who say that everyone driving with DRL's will make them less obvious, they have a point, as you will get used to looking for headlights at junctions etc, so anyone else will be less obvious.
CTRnutter

Post by CTRnutter »

albertz33 wrote:Not law in this country until 2010, alot of opposition from cyclists etc who say that everyone driving with DRL's will make them less obvious, they have a point, as you will get used to looking for headlights at junctions etc, so anyone else will be less obvious.
If they are wearing high vis gear then the lights will shine on it and make them stand out, during the day you can hardly notice the lights unless it gets dark or rains :)
easybreeze
Options: Parking Sensors
Smokers Pack

Post by easybreeze »

DRL make sense in winter but not summer :shrug:
Arrived 23rd March '09 - Lovin' it
klippie
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: Leather, Panny roof, Cruise, Parking sensors, Winter pack, Metal pedals, GT steering wheel badge, Mudflaps, Rubber mats and boot liner. Stainless tailpipes.

Post by klippie »

Interesting reading, my motorcycle a Triumph Daytona 675 has DRL's too and they cannot be switched off as there is no light switch when ever the ignition's switched on the lights are burning. Its a bit of pain when working on the bike when its running and the lights blazing away I'd like to be able to turn them off but cant, I think it should be down to the owner to have the choice.

Its good to know the Scirocco's can be disabled it'll be one of the first things to be done when I order my car next year.