What else you considered

wigit
Options: I used to own one

What else you considered

Post by wigit »

curious whether you just wanted a scirocco or did consider a few alternatives, i loved the iroc concept, however, sciroccos looks have been a grower, other half considered:

s3 sportsback, awsome car never expected it to steer so well, awsome price too, was my first choice but cannot get head around £30K for an a3, interior not special enough from the s-line and needs rs4 buckets, had two a3s so fancied a change, i'd have respected it but never loved it

tt, made the mistake of driving it after the s3, rejected on pracitcal reasons, preferred the s3 to it (they work out similar on cost), if i specced one as per my scirrocco would be around £31K

mini cooper s, by the time you spec one up it is the same price as a golf gti

golf gti, my other half took one out for a test drive, i loved it having not driven one for years i thought it was more fun than the s3, she went for the 5 door gti pirelli so i could have a less practical car

scirocco in the end ticked most of the boxes and good value, not one for buying cars when the first came out but just had to get one
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Kev
Administrator
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced now by an F-Type.

Re: What else you considered

Post by Kev »

I don't need too big a car. My puma suits what I need size/practicality wise so I was after something similar to replace it but I wanted a little more performance. The puma isn't slow but a little bit more welly is always nice :)

I looked at the mini cooper/works but living in Oxford (where they're made for those who don't know) they're 10 a penny. I like to drive something a little different.

I wasn't too interested in a hot hatch. They tend to be a bit tinny and buzzy and depreciate pretty quickly. To be honest nothing else has really grabbed me.

I agree about the roc being a grower. I really didn't like the original press pics in white. I thought it looked a bit bland but after seeing the rising blue and reading more about the car itself I liked it a lot more. I suits my budget and size of car for what I need and should be good enough for the (probably) 5-10 years I'll keep it.
wigit

Post by wigit »

i know what you mean about minis in oxford given the number in my road for the same reason bmw were dismissed
iroc
In: Deep Black
Options: Black Leather, Pano Roof, Winter Pack, Mats, Sat Nav, Prem Sills.
Now Sold

Post by iroc »

Considered a TT then a Cayman but decided to save some money and was going for a GTI Ed30 or Pirelli. Pleased with my eventual choice of the Scirocco.
Bagwafu
In: Deep Black
Options: Truffle, Panroof, Both Sensors, Cruise, Dynaudio, Lecky Seat, Mats, Pedals, Sills, Steering Wheel GT Insert and LifeShine. Parrot Bluetooth. GTI Fast.

Now with APS Remap and Milltek Cat Back Non Resonated

Post by Bagwafu »

A3 Sportback S Line, potentially a quattro, but prices put that on the back burner for a while, then I saw the Scirocco.
wigit

Post by wigit »

bagwafu, i'm ditching one of them for the scirocco, golf gti is a far better drivers car and holds value better and wished i had gone for one two years ago, i've got over the badge snobbery, i switched from diesel a3 to petrol, love the engine but the car has left me a bit numb and never blew me away, i have not been tempted back all be it the 330d beemer is a wonderful motor
langlord

Post by langlord »

as I have said before for me it was between this and the TT though had audi given me a bigger discount at the time I think I would have ordered the TT.

Glad that was not the case mind as so much happier with the roc...
Candy white scirocco, black leather, dyno audio, mats, auto glym protection - build week 39
CTRnutter
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Winter Pack, Leather, Alu Pedals, GT Steering Wheel Badge, Side Sills, Superchips Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res, K&N Induction Kit

Post by CTRnutter »

Strangely enough it was either the Ski-Rock another S2000 or a Golf R32, the only reason I didnt go for the R32 is the new shape golf is due out and the S2k was a no no because even though I don't need 4 seats the practicality got the better of me also all the motorway noise did bug me when I had my last one,

Happy with my choice :D
Car is now Sold!!!!! BMW 7 Series for now as nice and big but holding out for something a little special as my toy :)
silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

R32 was top of my list. But arrival of mk6 made me nervous. Nearly got away with a TT but unless i chopped off my Daughters legs at the knees ( Not a workable solution really ) that one bit the dust.
Another A3 1.8T S Line this time was about to be signed for until Dealer decided he wanted to have the shirt from my back as well as my pants down. NOT Impressed.
i wasn't that impressed with the Iroc concept so when the scirocco pictures first started to surface i was quite slow to realise that was the the car for me.
It is the closest i am going to get to a TT and i don't have to chop off daughters legs.. RESULT :clap: :clap: :clap:
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!
wigit

Post by wigit »

another a3 deserter, i had a similar experience and a nasty depreciation shock, having read the s3 sportback review in autocar i am glad i didn't, mine found a new home today having been sold privately, went a thing on a bus today, didn't like it much so walked the 3 miles home
silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

another a3 deserter, i had a similar experience and a nasty depreciation shock, having read the s3 sportback review in autocar i am glad i didn't, mine found a new home today having been sold privately, went a thing on a bus today, didn't like it much so walked the 3 miles home

A Bus ??? Whats That. lol :?

I got quite a good price for my A3 from Audi Until they changed their mind and wanted to take the preverbial. tbh i had almost made my mind up i wanted the Scirocco anyway so it made my decision even easier.
Trade in from VW was another thing completely.. Although salesman said it was in fantastic condition their group buyer was not interested as they already had too much group stock and did not want to add to it. I sold private straight away for a shade under 3K more than dealer offered. that was start of August and i got to keep the A3 until last week as well.. Bonus...
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!
heavymetalmayhem
Options: Leather, DSG, premium mats.

Post by heavymetalmayhem »

I was ready to buy a year old Z4 Coupe 3.0si when the Scirocco caught my eye.

Originally thought I wanted a Brera until I took it for a test drive - the 2.2 petrol felt under powered and although the 2.4 diesel was better I would only buy a diesel if the fuel economy outweighed the lack of refinement and according to Brera owners the diesel struggles to get 30-35mpg.

Ruled out TT for being a too common to feel special, girlie/hairdresser image and did not like the interior.

Considered a GTI Edition 30 but quickly decided against it because it would feel dated as soon as the MK VI was launched.

Nissan 350Z – tax too high and was interior cheap
rehmondo
In: Candy White
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

Looked at an A5 for over a year, was waiting on the 2.0 auto, as at launch only the 3.2 and 2.7 were available. In the end after choosing the spec I wanted, it came to over £33,000 - well over my budget, didn't really consider a TT as my brother has one.

The new Merc C class came in a close second as its reasonably priced but once again with the all the add ons it was just out of my budget.

Never bothered looking at BMW 1 series coupe or the 3 series coupe, I don't think BMW have done anything special in the last 5 years (other than the M6)

Then in Feb/Mar I saw pics on the web of the Scirocco at some car show, said to everyone THATS my next car!

I'm more than happy with my car as I got a lot of car for my money, if I was to order again I'd go for the full whack (adding Dynaudio, Elec seats, Xenons) - reason being I now know I'm keeping this car for a long time :hyper:

Finally I have to add this... 2 weeks ago I was in the parts dept at a VW garage and a salesman brought a customer to the parts counter and stood in line behind me, so the guy was asking about "oh that new Scirocco is out, wow its nice" and so on... Salesman said "yeah I've got someone coming in today to pick his up", customers reply was "what a lucky bastard" - meanwhile I was grinning to myself as I had been driving one for the past 2 weeks :D
ryancooke
With a: Manual box
Options: xenons, folding mirrors, dynamic audio, floor mats (free) autoglym (free)

now modified with dump valve, boost gauge in custom made vent, "gt" steering wheel badge, carbon fibre badges, rs4 wheels, lowered 35mm, private plate S18OCO, custom de-cat and cat back exhaust with quad tips, air filter behind fog lamp heat wrapped, customised front bumper grills painted gloss black, customised rear bumper smoothed and lower spoiler painted gloss black, mouldings and mirrors sprayed in gloss black, gloss black roof and rear spoiler, colour coded dash trims, door trims, centre console trims and rear seat trims, led fog light bulbs, s3 intercooler, audi a4 "S line" gear knob, newspeed hi-flow throttle body pipe, newspeed hi-flow turbo pipe, uprated dog mount bush, front to back and side to side quickshift, 20mm front spacers

Post by ryancooke »

i was going for a tt but its a bit pricier and its basically a 2 seater

then i looked at the s3 as there an amazing car to drive but its too expencive

then a 2.0 turbo a3 but still quite expencive next to the scirocco

then looked at the gti and r32 but as said before the new golf is out and to be honest i think its well ugly

and loked at the cupra r but with working at seat theres a few niggly things that go wrong with them

so scirocco it is only 3 months left now :clap:
MY CARS IS SOLD 21.5K BETTER OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
easybreeze
Options: Parking Sensors
Smokers Pack

Post by easybreeze »

I get a budget to lease car through work:
Audi A3 S-Line 1.9TDI (too slow - couldn't afford better)
BMW 118d M-Sport (poor stereo upgrade and wheels - couldn't afford better)
Ford Focus ST (too cheap materials)
Volvo C30 D5 SE Sport R-Design (hate it from behind / seats are terrible and steering wheel felt horrible - also MP3 system was poo although sounded good)
Mercedes CLC 180K SE (couldn't afford the Sport model)
Alfa GT 2.0 (Very nice but reliability issues let it down, also stereo head unit and head room were poor... was going to lease this privately but too expensive in the end due to insurance and mileage excess)

Main points I wanted
.Looks
.Power
.Spec (gadgets)
.Quality
.Enjoyable

Scirocco ticks them all... I keep seeing pics of the Scirocco which look pretty bad but when I saw it in the flesh I was well impressed. Upon a 5 min test drive I was sold :D
Arrived 23rd March '09 - Lovin' it
jntaras
In: Viper Green
Options: xenons,rcd 510 dynaudio,park pilot,interlagos 18'',tyre pressure indicator

Post by jntaras »

When i saw iroc concept i thought...that's my next car :D !!!I was looking at the web every day for scirocco news and now i am 2 months far from my viper green dream!!i only wanted scirocco! :D
greeper
Options: DVD Satellite Navigation, Leather (black), Cruise Control, Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack, Folding Mirrors, Premium sills, Boot liner, Alloy pedals, Parrot 3200LS

Post by greeper »

Considered:

BMW 123d and the 120d MSport Coupé - Engines are great not sure on the looks and I dislike the badge

Audi TT - not enough toys and not very practical

Audi A3 Sline 170d - Test drove this for a couple of days and generaly really liked it, but considering its age and the cost compared to a Rocco there was no comparision.
squareeyes
In: Sumatra
Options: Parking sensor, Dynaudio, Mats, Sills, Pedals, Supaguard

Post by squareeyes »

I was replacing an A3 2.0T sportback quattro.
I was set on buying a TT but Hatfield Audi were so mind bogglingly uninterested in selling me a car I gave up on the idea. Oh and I could never get an answer to the question how do I get my mountain bike in it! Also I see dozens of them every day almost all being driven by blond women.
Then the 1 series coupe, I really don't like the look of the 5 door one but a couple of peole I know who have them love the way they drive but in the end just couldn't bring myself to buy a BMW, and I still don't really like how they look.
Then looked at the facelifted A3 but I really don't like what Audi are doing they seem to be going from understated to gaudy with the addition of fairy lights, silver wing mirrors, huge chrome grills etc etc. Also they have stopped making the combination I had for some reason.
Also looked at the Cooper S but too small. A couple of Alfas which look beutiful but as I am buying this have dreadful residuals.

Then I saw the Scirroco in a magazine, read all the reviews I could find and ordered one nearly site unseen. However by chance I saw one the day the dealer got their first customer car. Although they were unwilling to let me drive it for some reason.
This represents over a year of provaricating about what to buy.
So did I make the right descision.
Oh yes. :nod:
wigit

Post by wigit »

does the bike mountain bike fit in (minus front wheel)? not tried mine yet
stan_blade
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Front lux mats, rear rubber mats, Sat Nav, Pano roof, Auto Glym, GT st-wheel badge, Prem door sills, Boot liner, Metal Pedals.
23k miles and rising. Stone chips galore.

Post by stan_blade »

Yes I need to know too, as I have not tried mine either. I bet you will have to remove the back wheel too as the boot is not that wide. I might have to invest in some roof bars and carrier.