Why did you chose 1.4 over 2.0 TSI???

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
tanguyfaucon
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Still waiting for it ;-)

Why did you chose 1.4 over 2.0 TSI???

Post by tanguyfaucon »

Well the Question is simple. I had a real hard time chosing at my new Roc and tried both of them.
The new Engine (1.4) is a wonder and have this small extra advantage of having power constantly under the accelareator even at very Low RPM. The 2.0 have a small gap til it reach 1.5 or 2000 RPM for the Turbo to get on.

But then the 2.0 have this extra power which is there when you need it. Not that 1.4 does not but i felt the 2.0 had this little plus.

Forget options (as both i tried were the same: Automatic Gearbox and basic options without ACC on Both)

So now i'll need YOUR comments on why your chose your 1.4 160hp or 2.0 200hp?

By the way money wise is not an issue here cause the difference is really little between the 2 and Gas or insurance is ALSO not an options cause where i Live gas is cheap and insurance is the same for both. Yes i know i'm lucky but still i'll need to Know why you think your 1.4 or 2.0 is the BEST

I'm just a Newbies that fell in Love with the pleasure of Driving (i used to be a Rallie driver back in the 80's) and i found a bit of that emotion coming back driving the Rocco

By the way my Car gets here in 1 month and i'm still a bit indecisive on "Which one is better" so feel free to pitch in with your comments.

Thx.

Tanguy
Wind is my Religion as a Kitesurfer...Scirocco is my emotion as a Driver
2.0 TSI White and Roc in Lebanon
Wind is my Religion as a Kitesurfer...Scirocco is my Emotion as a Driver ;-)
davemac5
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: wheels. fogs and mats

Re: Why did you chose 1.4 over 2.0 TSI???

Post by davemac5 »

I bought my 160 tsi because its cheaper to buy, insure, road tax, more economical on fuel and mostly because the tsi 160 is a brilliant engine.
:)
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

tanguy

this has been discussed loads before please read all the prior discussions as people don't want to be repeatedly posting up the same thing again & again.
previous threads
here & here

S
Ibanez33
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Mats, Electric folding wing mirrors, parking sensors, Sil protectors, Philips Crystal vision bulbs.

Post by Ibanez33 »

If initial price and running costs aren't an issue then theres not really a reason not to go for the 2.0. Not that theres anything wrong with the 1.4.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

because i won't buy a car with less than 200ps simples :D

sorry trix
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
fun meter
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
Options: MY12, 19" wheels, Leather, RNS510, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Premium mats, MDI...

Post by fun meter »

I test drove the 1.4 160ps, but am going to get the 2.0 GT. Mainly because the price difference between the two is small, and the extra's which are standard on GT are worth it.
The other reasons for me, are that the 2.0 litre will have more power across the rev range, and the GT is at a higher standard (as mentioned the options I would want are included, and more).
Ordering it tomorrow morning. :)
rougier
Options: 18" wheels, rear tints, panoramic sunroof, mats.

Post by rougier »

davemac5 wrote:I bought my 160 tsi because its cheaper to buy, insure, road tax, more economical on fuel and mostly because the tsi 160 is a brilliant engine.
:)
Could'nt agree more - that's why I went with 160tsi also - it's awsome!! :clap:
Gary_Monkey
Options: 18" Interlagos, 2Zone Climate Control, Multifunction Steering Wheel with Paddle Shift and Highline computer, Front Fog Lights, Mats front and rear.

Car ordered 30 June 2009.
Car built Build Week 43.
Car built and at check point 5 (20/10)
Car now at check point 7 (21/10)

Post by Gary_Monkey »

Welcome tanguyfaucon

First off, from your post you seem to have made your mind up in going for the 2 litre model. So, I don't really understand your post.

However, my decision to go for the 1.4 TSI was based on the fact that I'd been driving a 2.0l turbo diesel for the last 4 years. I wanted a change. I wanted to go back to driving a petrol fuelled car.

I didn't go for the 2 litre model as I thought I didn't need the extra power and it drinks more fuel. Also the added insurance premium and road tax costs put me off too. I just didn't want the extra costs associated with the 2 litre engine.

Plus - years back I'd been reading about this small 1.4 TSI engine (with supercharger & turbo) VW were developing and was very intrigued. Once I found out it was destined for the Scirocco - the decision was made.

I love the power available right from the off. It's very quick and punchy low down the rev range (which I like). Once up to speed (say 50-60mph) the 2.0 TSI and turbo diesels have it beat (mainly due to greater available torque). I do miss that from my old TDI but the that's the trade off.

This 1.4 TSI engine is a real wonder of engineering. It's completely seemless transfer between the supercharger and the turbo is brilliant. I also have my car with the 7 speed DSG box - which I absolutley love.

All-in-all I just wanted to try this new engine from VW. And I'm glad I did :vibes:

Gary
(P.S. Do tell us which car will arrive in one month - 1.4 or 2.0?)
Car now at docks waiting to board ship. Due to sail Sat 24 Oct! 23/10
Car now at a UK port being checked. 26/10)
Car still at the port of Sheerness until 3 Nov. Grrr 29/10
Car at dealers and being prepped. 3/11
Car Deliverd :-) 10 Nov 2009
tanguyfaucon

Post by tanguyfaucon »

Hi Gary,
Thx for your post. As a lot of 1.4 driver i can see that this little "oomph" or extra "beat" like you'll say is available in the 2.0 so that's why i made my choice.

You see here in lebanon where i live we do NOT have insurance supplement fees between the 2 engines, the fuel is fairly cheap and the difference in mileage will NOT make a big difference. Also we do NOT have tax over bigger engine.
So when i did try the 2.0 GTI Golf (same engine) i realised that i was using most of the power of the car. Oh yes one more thing. WE DO NOT HAVE SPEED LIMIT here either ;-)
So when you drive and want to have fun the 2.0 was just ideal ;-)

But like you say i did love this new technology and the perfect balance between thje compressor and the Turbo. It's just that the 2.0 has this Extra fro more or less the same price...and let's not forget resale value which will make the 2.0 a easier car to let go later.

But let say that this first Roc mark a return in the VW world for me (used to have a Combi, 2 Beetles and Golf in the past) and i can't wait to have the R series which did not get here yet.

But again it was a tough choice to make. Both are just stunning anyway...mine arrives in 9 days and 18hrs...and Counting :-)

The wait is a killer ...
skyblues11
Options: cruise control, front foglight, Multi.f.steering wheel,
tyre indicator

Post by skyblues11 »

i was in Beiruth 2 years ago and noticed there were a lot of mountains. I would have thought about a diesel for the pulling power. I remember some climbs in Jouneiah were almost verticle!

i prefer the 1.4 purely because of the cost and i am a sucker for any new technology.

if there is no speed limit, then how fast you can race from tripoli to Naqura? I 'd say 5 hrs?
Ibanez33
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Mats, Electric folding wing mirrors, parking sensors, Sil protectors, Philips Crystal vision bulbs.

Post by Ibanez33 »

tanguyfaucon wrote: But again it was a tough choice to make. Both are just stunning anyway...mine arrives in 9 days and 18hrs...and Counting :-)

The wait is a killer ...

9 Days?? When did you order it? I've gotta wait till april..
tanguyfaucon

Post by tanguyfaucon »

Skyblues, Tripoli Nakoura i'll say 2h30 hrs in a Roc at 5AM ;-) but 5 hrs in Peak traffic jam.
Lebanon is actually pretty small. Beirut Tripoli is done in 50mn with peak at 230 k easily and then Beirut Nakoura another 2hr max ;-)
And it's true a lot of mountain road which the Roc excel on...but NO DIESEL IN THE COUNTRY. Don't know why!!! I guess Lebanese are more attracted by big engines and Expensive car than saving a few box on the Diesel. And i'll say it's better cause when Diesel was alowed we use to have black smoke of bad Diesel use in engines and that wazs poluuting the country big time so the government just banned Diesel car.

Ibanez the car was already ordered and i'm just picking it up ready with a few Mod that i'll make when it gets here. Since they were none in stock i just took thye first one 2.0 coming in. I'm not use to wait to get a car usually ;-)

But it's all good...we'll make the driving even more passionate when i'll receive it ;-)

See you around our crazy street if you want to have fun driving guys ;-)