Connecting an iPod/iPhone via MDI

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
ken
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, winter pack, Dynaudio, cruise, reverse parking sensors, flat tyre warning, elec mirrors, sill protect, lowered -35mm and white grill mod. 19" x 8.5 matt black wheels with 245 x 35 x 19 Dunlop Maxx GT and matt black roof. Full front Paintshield protection.

Re: Connecting an iPod/iPhone via MDI

Post by ken »

danbailey77 wrote:Ken, whihc mp3 player are you using?
danbailey77

Creative Zen V+ 4 gb with mp3 files

ken
iroc
In: Deep Black
Options: Black Leather, Pano Roof, Winter Pack, Mats, Sat Nav, Prem Sills.
Now Sold

Post by iroc »

Try going into setup, then media, make sure aux in is ticked, and that artist/track is not ticked. Make sure the volume on your mp3 is turned up then try altering the volume settings in the setup menu. Apart from that I am lost.
ken
Options: Leather, winter pack, Dynaudio, cruise, reverse parking sensors, flat tyre warning, elec mirrors, sill protect, lowered -35mm and white grill mod. 19" x 8.5 matt black wheels with 245 x 35 x 19 Dunlop Maxx GT and matt black roof. Full front Paintshield protection.

Post by ken »

iroc

thanks for your efforts in trying to solve my problem - I'll try that tomorrow - it's too cold out there now - will report back tomorrow after the new springs have been fitted.

ken
iroc
Options: Black Leather, Pano Roof, Winter Pack, Mats, Sat Nav, Prem Sills.
Now Sold

Post by iroc »

No problem ken, other than that I think it's going to be a mini usb adapter.

Do you know anybody with a different mp3 that has the standard usb that you could try out?
ken

Post by ken »

iroc wrote:No problem ken, other than that I think it's going to be a mini usb adapter.

Do you know anybody with a different mp3 that has the standard usb that you could try out?
iroc

re mini usb - handbook 3.4 top of page 41 - first para suggests the same - sadly I don't know anyone with a differenct make mp3 - good idea thought - thanks again

Ken
danbailey77
In: Rising Blue
Options: Sat Nav with Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Cruise, Flat Tyre Indicator and mats.

Post by danbailey77 »

ken, just had a quick look at the manual. Think you could put the player in removable disk mode (main menu then extras then remavable disk). Copy mp3's across then try again.

Seems like you can't play these on the player seperately but may work.

Alternativelly amazon do 2gb sd cards for about 3 ponds that would fit directly into the head unit or get a larger flash drive.
ken

Post by ken »

Danbailey77

Many thanks - I'll have a look at that option as well tomorrow - will report back thanks to you and all the guys for you help.

regards

ken
badpanda
With a: Manual box
Options: Truffle Leather, Parking Sensors, Run Flat Indicator, Window Tints, Interlagos Alloys, Fogs, Dynaudio, 2Zone Climate Control, Multifunction Steeringwheel, Premium Mats.. I NOW HAVE NOTHING !

Post by badpanda »

Don't suppose anyone has tried playing the movies through the MDI with an iphone/ipod ? Would be great if I could play my music vids
DafterPunk
Options: DVD SatNav, Parking Sensors, Telephone Prep, Winter Pack, Mats

Post by DafterPunk »

badpanda - it didn't list any of the videos I have on my iPhone but I haven't done any extensive testing.
dabs
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue
Options: Stock

Post by dabs »

@panda

Video playback from iPods is not possible :( Have not tired from a usb device but I highly doubt it would work.

Any mp3 player that supports the mass storage profile (ie. it appears in my computer as a disk) will work with the usb interface.
USB hard drives also work, but power is an issue - the usb bus can only offer a limited amount of power (~5v @ 100mA is the spec, not sure what is actually coming down the cable), so usb disks that are bus powered (no ac adapter) are unlikely to work, although they may if you are using a decent cable - if one dosn't work first try find the fattest, most over-engineered cable you can and give that a try, worked for me. If you are desparate for bumper storage you could always lash up a usb disk with an external power adapter to the 12v cig lighter socket (only if you know what you are doing vis. polarity, voltage, etc, dont go plugging any old adapter in!), that would work a treat.

I can confirm that the usb interface supports SDHC card readers and cards of at least 8gb, and very likely 16 and 32 aswell. I havnt tried a SDHC in the slot on the head unit, will see if that supports it tomorrow (IIRC there was some contradictory comments in the handbook).

Peace

[update]
Can confirm that the SD slot on the head unit plays SDHC cards fine (I tested using an 8gb sandisk microSDHC card through a sandisk microSD->SD adapter).
Also noticed that it does not support AAC with M4A encapsulation (iTunes format) :(
ManxKarl
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Winter Pack, Phone Prep, Parking Sensors, Bluefin Supper Chip, K&N Filter, Eibach Springs

Post by ManxKarl »

Just ordered the bluetooth phone update for my roc, and I use an iPhone, is there anyway round getting it to work or are we sure it will not work at all ?
Reflex Silver GT with DSG and Superchip'd
MRKJM
Options: 19" Lugano's, Xenon Lights, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator

Post by MRKJM »

ManxKarl wrote:Just ordered the bluetooth phone update for my roc, and I use an iPhone, is there anyway round getting it to work or are we sure it will not work at all ?
Pretty sure it wont work mate as I dont think they are rsap compatible (which is required)
DafterPunk
Options: DVD SatNav, Parking Sensors, Telephone Prep, Winter Pack, Mats

Post by DafterPunk »

It definitely doesn't work as is. Might be more hope with the OS 3.0 update for the iPhone but I have tested this with a beta release and it didn't work.

I'm hoping to have a more thorough look at this soon as we make an iPhone app at work so have access to right 'tools'.