Connecting an iPod/iPhone via MDI

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
alex

Re: Connecting an iPod/iPhone via MDI

Post by alex »

According to this site ( http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... /wiki/RSAP ) my HTC S710 should work with the bluetooth... :shrug:

I don't really wanna gamble with a such expensive option...
dchuraman
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box

Post by dchuraman »

danbailey77 wrote:From what i've heard the iphone doesn't wotk with the VW kit - has to have rSAP capability.

I've done some comparisons and would recommend that you use a portable hd instead of the Ipod. The sound quality is better, it works faster and remembers the folder you are in after you switch off the engine.

1. Sound quality - i know this was discussed in another thread but the ipod as far as i can tell is not a digital connection. The aux level changes the volume and if it was a digital connection it would have no effect. You also lose a lot of mid and warmth compared to a hd or flash drive connected.

2. Works faster, you can scan between folders/artists much quicker.

3. On the Ipod you have to start from the main menu after switching off. So if you have a lot of artists on it can take a while to find where you were.

Hope this helps. Please don't quote me on the ipod not being digital but from what i've tried it makes sense. Also the stereo can't read AAC files so must use the Ipod to play these and send sudio down an analog cable.
how does the aux level change volume? On mine, nothing changes the volume except turning the volume up and down?
danbailey77
Options: Sat Nav with Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Cruise, Flat Tyre Indicator and mats.

Post by danbailey77 »

If you go into the settings then media. There is option for aux level - low, medium or high. Changing this changes the level of the Ipod but not if you have an sd card or flash drive connected using the USB cable.
breeza

Post by breeza »

danbailey77 wrote:From what i've heard the iphone doesn't wotk with the VW kit - has to have rSAP capability.

I've done some comparisons and would recommend that you use a portable hd instead of the Ipod. The sound quality is better, it works faster and remembers the folder you are in after you switch off the engine.

1. Sound quality - i know this was discussed in another thread but the ipod as far as i can tell is not a digital connection. The aux level changes the volume and if it was a digital connection it would have no effect. You also lose a lot of mid and warmth compared to a hd or flash drive connected.

2. Works faster, you can scan between folders/artists much quicker.

3. On the Ipod you have to start from the main menu after switching off. So if you have a lot of artists on it can take a while to find where you were.

Hope this helps. Please don't quote me on the ipod not being digital but from what i've tried it makes sense. Also the stereo can't read AAC files so must use the Ipod to play these and send sudio down an analog cable.
Which usb hard disc have you got working reliably? I have seen posts that suggest you need to put all mp3s directly in the root folder rather than sub folders for artist and album to avoid loosing track and position when turning off and on the radio. Also some say you have to disconnect and reconnect the usb connection sometimes to get it recognised.

What is your experience?
danbailey77
Options: Sat Nav with Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Cruise, Flat Tyre Indicator and mats.

Post by danbailey77 »

i'm just using a 4gb sd card and reader at the moment. When re starting it always returns to the folder you are in and continues where you left off. Not had any experience of a hd yet as ahve the sat nav with 20gb hd so am loading that as i go. Unless you have a huge library i'd suggest get a usg flash drive or something similar rather than a portable hd.
breeza

Post by breeza »

danbailey77 wrote:i'm just using a 4gb sd card and reader at the moment. When re starting it always returns to the folder you are in and continues where you left off. Not had any experience of a hd yet as ahve the sat nav with 20gb hd so am loading that as i go. Unless you have a huge library i'd suggest get a usg flash drive or something similar rather than a portable hd.
Thanks for the info. Hmm options, options:
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electro ... oduct.html
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151463
http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop ... ID=B166483
stan_blade
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Front lux mats, rear rubber mats, Sat Nav, Pano roof, Auto Glym, GT st-wheel badge, Prem door sills, Boot liner, Metal Pedals.
23k miles and rising. Stone chips galore.

Post by stan_blade »

beware of large SD cards as I'm sure there is something in the manual that says cards over 4Gb are not supported.
Has anyone tried a larger SD card than that?
danbailey77

Post by danbailey77 »

The SD card reader bukit on only reads standard 2gb SD cards but if you use a high capacity one in a reader and plug in through the MDI socket then i haven't had any issues. I'm using a sandisk reader, with a microSD card in an SD adapter at the moment.
stan_blade
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Front lux mats, rear rubber mats, Sat Nav, Pano roof, Auto Glym, GT st-wheel badge, Prem door sills, Boot liner, Metal Pedals.

Post by stan_blade »

ah, sorry I miss understood. must learn to re-read whole threads. :?
I have the harddrive to. how long does it take to copy 2gb off a USB stick onto it. And do you need to organise as you go, or does the stereo just copy how the files are organised on the format being copied from.

cheers
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

stan_blade wrote:ah, sorry I miss understood. must learn to re-read whole threads. :?
I have the harddrive to. how long does it take to copy 2gb off a USB stick onto it. And do you need to organise as you go, or does the stereo just copy how the files are organised on the format being copied from.

cheers
stan_blade 2gb stick works throught the usb
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
stan_blade

Post by stan_blade »

Hi Andy,

Yes I have tried a USB and it works great, I just wanted to know how easy it was to copy files off. as I have not played around with the harddrive yet

cheers
Last edited by stan_blade on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danbailey77

Post by danbailey77 »

The only way to copy to the hardrive is off a cd/dvd or from the SD reader in the unit.

It copys the format as it is on the card. The way i've started to do it is to put folders A-Z in the root then copy the band folders into the appropriate letter.

Takes a while to copy from the SD card but haven't tried the cd method. Manual states about 45 minutes for 100 songs i think. I do it during my hour and half journey to work so don't really notice.
breeza

Post by breeza »

stan_blade wrote:beware of large SD cards as I'm sure there is something in the manual that says cards over 4Gb are not supported.
Has anyone tried a larger SD card than that?
I am pretty sure that SDHC cards upto 32GB can be used in the SD slot of the standard RCD510 but not the RNS sat nav version.
ken
Options: Leather, winter pack, Dynaudio, cruise, reverse parking sensors, flat tyre warning, elec mirrors, sill protect, lowered -35mm and white grill mod. 19" x 8.5 matt black wheels with 245 x 35 x 19 Dunlop Maxx GT and matt black roof. Full front Paintshield protection.

Post by ken »

Guys

Wonder if anyone can advise. Bit of a luddite on audio stuff and computers. I got my car with just the cable that is fixed into the arm rest with the female usb connector on the end.

The stealers are trying to sort out the other cable(s) I should have. Not sure whether it is one or two cables in addition to the one that is there.

Anyway, I have an mp3 player so I tried the cable I use when connecting it to my computer to connect the mp3 player to the female end of the cable fixed in the car.

The mp3 player litup so it was clearly receiving power but I was unable to get anything on the touch screen or to get any sound. Anybody got any ideas please :?

thanks
Ken
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

you need to activate the aux input on the head unit i think that is on a thread here
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
ken
Options: Leather, winter pack, Dynaudio, cruise, reverse parking sensors, flat tyre warning, elec mirrors, sill protect, lowered -35mm and white grill mod. 19" x 8.5 matt black wheels with 245 x 35 x 19 Dunlop Maxx GT and matt black roof. Full front Paintshield protection.

Post by ken »

Andy

I have activated the Aux-in in the set-up menu but to no effect - I notice the AV-in is greyed out - is that correct

It may be relevant that my mp3 player has a mini usb socket though as i said b4 when I connect I get power to the mp3

thanks

ken
iroc
In: Deep Black
Options: Black Leather, Pano Roof, Winter Pack, Mats, Sat Nav, Prem Sills.
Now Sold

Post by iroc »

have you pressed the media button then the media in on the touch screen.?
danbailey77

Post by danbailey77 »

Don't quote me on this but the aux in activate i believe will relate to the mini jack socket on the front of the armrest.

If its like an ipod sometimes you have to activate harddrive mode and may be needed to get to work.

From posts i've read, an ipod works by sending sound through the mdi and other mp3 players conect digitally so the headunit reads the mp3 then amplifys it.

These are just my thoughts so not sure how right i am but hope it makes sense. :?
ken

Post by ken »

iroc wrote:have you pressed the media button then the media in on the touch screen.?
I have and I get the screen with the pause button and forwar and back then after a few secs the clock appears in the middle but no sign it is looking for or has found any files
danbailey77

Post by danbailey77 »

Ken, whihc mp3 player are you using?