Driver's Side Windscreen Wiper Smear

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.

Windscreen Wiper Smear

Yes there is a smear right in my view and it is extremely annoying :grumpy:
78%
There was a smear but it has gone because of what I did (I'll explain below) :yummy:
3%
No, I have never had a smear, everything is fine :D
18%

Total votes: 87

Bagwafu
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Truffle, Panroof, Both Sensors, Cruise, Dynaudio, Lecky Seat, Mats, Pedals, Sills, Steering Wheel GT Insert and LifeShine. Parrot Bluetooth. GTI Fast.

Now with APS Remap and Milltek Cat Back Non Resonated

Driver's Side Windscreen Wiper Smear

Post by Bagwafu »

Hi

I have a really annoying smear on the driver's side in my sight line every time I use the wipers, whether using screenwash or as a result of it raining. Just wondered if those that have taken delivery (or had a lengthy test drive) could complete the poll to see where you stand. I think a lot of people have this problem, and if the results indicate this we can go back to the dealers and get it fixed under warranty somehow.

Thanks for your time.
wullie636
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: dynaudio dab leather mats premium sills

Re: Driver's Side Windscreen Wiper Smear

Post by wullie636 »

I cleaned my wipers with shampoo and this solved the problem. The wipers are crap and I was reading in the car manual that the wipers are coated in graphite and I don' t know if this is causing the problem but cleaning them seems to help.
sir_rocco
In: Reflex Silver

Post by sir_rocco »

i have had this problem so the dealer initially swapped my drivers side wiper blade with one from their showroom model but the problem still remained. I have since been back and they ordered a new blade which was fitted on Friday, it seemed to be wiping cleanly on the way home, will let you know in the week if it has cured the fault. They suspect that the initial batch of blades may of been faulty.
Taken delivery : Silver, DSG, NAV, Black Leather, Park Sensors, Winter pack.

Mods: Full Milltek, KW lowering springs,Wheel Spacers, Remapped to 258BHP, 405Nm
Bagwafu
Options: Truffle, Panroof, Both Sensors, Cruise, Dynaudio, Lecky Seat, Mats, Pedals, Sills, Steering Wheel GT Insert and LifeShine. Parrot Bluetooth. GTI Fast.

Post by Bagwafu »

sir_rocco wrote:i have had this problem so the dealer initially swapped my drivers side wiper blade with one from their showroom model but the problem still remained. I have since been back and they ordered a new blade which was fitted on Friday, it seemed to be wiping cleanly on the way home, will let you know in the week if it has cured the fault. They suspect that the initial batch of blades may of been faulty.
Knowing of a quick fix like this would be really useful. Hopefully your problem has been sorted - please let us know.

cheers
silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

So far I am the only one who doesn't have a problem. When i picked the car up i cleaned the windscreen with Autoglymn Car Polish then again with Rain X and applied Rain x to the wiper blades as well. So far so good.. :yes: :yes: :yes:
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!
adamj
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Metallic paint,mats, prem sills, Merlin Cloth, Hatchbag and a nice stone chip on the bonnet.

Post by adamj »

I washed and polished my screen and wipers at the weekend - still getting the smear........

Off to the dealers soon me thinks!!
iroc
Options: Black Leather, Pano Roof, Winter Pack, Mats, Sat Nav, Prem Sills.
Now Sold

Post by iroc »

Not had a problem with mine. :shrug:
Bagwafu

Post by Bagwafu »

Just drove back to Cornwall from Hampshire this afternoon - rained all the way of course however noticed on heavy rain it seemed ok - it only smears on light drizzle or screenwash. Bizarre .............

btw thanks for the feedback everyone.
sir_rocco
In: Reflex Silver

Post by sir_rocco »

Wipers all OK today, mix of rain conditions from light drizzle to medium. Wipers cleared everything and the smearing is gone so suspect the dealers notion that VW might have a dodgy batch may be correct. Suggest others with this problem take the same approach, they will need to order a blade in so thats the only downside if you have to travel any distance.
Taken delivery : Silver, DSG, NAV, Black Leather, Park Sensors, Winter pack.

Mods: Full Milltek, KW lowering springs,Wheel Spacers, Remapped to 258BHP, 405Nm
Bagwafu

Post by Bagwafu »

Thanks for the feedback - have emailed my dealer!
risingblue1
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
Options: Sat Nav, Private plate

Post by risingblue1 »

I've ordered some Rain X. Has anyone used the Fog X product to stop fogging?
silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

risingblue1 wrote:I've ordered some Rain X. Has anyone used the Fog X product to stop fogging?
I personally think this product is an advertising execs pipedream. There is no substitute for regular cleaning. Plus when the cars is new all the plastics and and solvents used in manufacture create fogging for ages.
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!
Bagwafu

Post by Bagwafu »

Well, a week or so later and the results from the poll are pretty conclusive.

I managed to get new wiper blade from my dealer, free of course. It appears to have fixed the problem .... so think what sir_rocco says above is true.

Cheers all.
heavymetalmayhem
Options: Leather, DSG, premium mats.

Post by heavymetalmayhem »

I emailed my dealer to explain the problem and request a replacement wiper. After a week I sent another email to chase them up at which point I was told they needed to assess the problem. So I take it in today and after half hour of 'testing' I am told they think the glass has wax on it and they will need to order in some glass cleaner. I explained about the other members on this forum experiencing a similar problem and also that I have cleaned the glass many times with Autoglym glass cleaner and tried rainX but they weren't having any of it. I am booked in Monday so they can clean my windscreen. :rolleyes:

They also said that VW will not pay for a replacement wiper.

danbailey77, iambu and risingblue1 - do you have the windscreen smear? I think we need to apply some pressure on Wayside!
gossa
Options: Scirocco's gone, MKVI GTI is replacement.

Post by gossa »

Dealers can be such twats, whats the point of pissing someone off for a £5 wiper blade? Jeeze!

Incidentally my wipers were a bit smeary but today i cleaned the screen and blades with normal glass cleaner and a smear of rain x and it's sweet.
iAmbu
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Post by iAmbu »

Heavymetalmayhem - Unfortunately I don't own a Scirocco, so certainly haven't got any windscreen smear...

Still keeping an eye out for you though around Hatfield area!
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1
danbailey77
Options: Sat Nav with Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Cruise, Flat Tyre Indicator and mats.

Post by danbailey77 »

heavymetalmayhem wrote: They also said that VW will not pay for a replacement wiper.

danbailey77, iambu and risingblue1 - do you have the windscreen smear? I think we need to apply some pressure on Wayside!
Well, i haven't got a smear so will not need to get replacement wipers although they are a bit crap. I have however a problem with the stereo which makes a popping noise at 50mph when you slow down. Took the car in this week and they have come back today to say that VW are looking at the problem and have 2 or 3 other reported issues in the UK. They are looking into a solution which may be up to 2 months. Not very happy about it so will be making a visit in the morning to kick up a fuss. I will also mention that lots of dealers have repleced wipers no problem and they are not even prepared to do that.

If Wayside don't want a bad name spread around to as many forums as I can and i'll write to VW UK, then i think it would be best for them to sort out the issues people have got. I'm not usually the sort of person to kick up a fuss but think us brits put up with poor service too easily soetimes (well i do).

I'll give you an update tomorrow.
heavymetalmayhem
Options: Leather, DSG, premium mats.

Post by heavymetalmayhem »

danbailey77 wrote:
heavymetalmayhem wrote: They also said that VW will not pay for a replacement wiper.

Well, i haven't got a smear so will not need to get replacement wipers although they are a bit crap. I have however a problem with the stereo which makes a popping noise at 50mph when you slow down. Took the car in this week and they have come back today to say that VW are looking at the problem and have 2 or 3 other reported issues in the UK. They are looking into a solution which may be up to 2 months. Not very happy about it so will be making a visit in the morning to kick up a fuss. I will also mention that lots of dealers have repleced wipers no problem and they are not even prepared to do that.

If Wayside don't want a bad name spread around to as many forums as I can and i'll write to VW UK, then i think it would be best for them to sort out the issues people have got. I'm not usually the sort of person to kick up a fuss but think us brits put up with poor service too easily soetimes (well i do).

I'll give you an update tomorrow.
Thanks for the support buddy. How did you get on today?

P.s your avatar pic looks the dogs danglies!
danbailey77
Options: Sat Nav with Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Cruise, Flat Tyre Indicator and mats.

Post by danbailey77 »

The guy i was dealing with is not in til monday and have to speak to him apparently. Will call on monday and see what i can do.
adamj
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Metallic paint,mats, prem sills, Merlin Cloth, Hatchbag and a nice stone chip on the bonnet.

Post by adamj »

Girl in the service department looked at me like I had two heads when I said I had a faulty windscreen wiper :rolleyes:

Supposidly they have ordered me a new one to be fitted on Tuesday - I have no faith in them though!