De-Icers

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
gavmac89
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Winter Pack, Sensors, Mats, Metal Pedals and Electric Folding Mirrors, Premium Sills and boot liner

De-Icers

Post by gavmac89 »

Hi

Does anoyone know where to get a good de-icer or anything else that makes getting rid of a hard frost any easier, a Tesco clubcard usually works pretty well but i dont fancy using that on the Roc when it comes.

Cheers
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Re: De-Icers

Post by wigit »

i use warm (not boiling water) and a scraper which i keep in the boot as newer owners who have not done a winter have the joy of the windows freezing so they dont drop

hate the residue deicer leaves on the screen
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
irocc

Post by irocc »

A cover over the screen the night before and a 5 minute warm up before driving I have used comma deicer before and it does the job Ive never scraped a windscreen before as I think it causes tooo much damage
A lot closer to Aberdeen than you think!!
iAmbu
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Post by iAmbu »

How can a plastic scraper cause damage to glass?! :?
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1
spamdog
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Sat nav, leather, reverse sensors, folding mirrors, 19" wheels, Dynaudio.

Post by spamdog »

im lazy, i sit there for 5 mins and wait for the car to warm up then just watch the ice melt off like magic!
stevieboy
With a: DSG box
Options: Dynaudio Sound, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Parking Sensors, Badge Deletion, H&R Springs, Revoooooooooooooooooooooo!

Post by stevieboy »

I use a garage ;)
.... I smile because I have no idea of what's going on ....
Andy-GTI
Options: R

Post by Andy-GTI »

iAmbu wrote:How can a plastic scraper cause damage to glass?! :?
It can't
gavmac89
Options: Winter Pack, Sensors, Mats, Metal Pedals and Electric Folding Mirrors, Premium Sills and boot liner

Post by gavmac89 »

Wish i had a garage, Andy GTI, who are you referring to here as the idiot? I didnt say it damaged the glass just didnt fancy using a Tesco club car on it!
egobreed
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: Nada!

Post by egobreed »

I keep a scraper and some autoglym de-icer in the boot, and give the driver's window a squirt along the seals before opening. This morning, however, it had virtually no effect and when i plipped the key, the window managed to move down a couple of mm and then got stuck. Wouldn't open further, or close again. Warm water seems like the best way to go for days below zero.
haws
Options: Black Leather, DSG, Winter Pack, Acoustic Parking, Sills, Pedals, etc etc

Post by haws »

Ice scraper in the boot with some autoglym de-icer. same as ego breed tho. Windows were too frozen to open so I locked her back up and went out in the missis' fiesta with quickclear instead :)
Kev
Administrator
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced now by an F-Type.

Post by Kev »

Big problems with this this morning.

I unlocked the boot first and scraped the bottom few inches off the drivers window then decided to try and open it but the glass didn't drop. Managed to eventually get the door open and get the car started up but when I closed the door the glass dropped 2-3 inches and didn't go back up again! I did the rest of the windows and then turned the car off locked and unlocked it but it didn't make any difference. A bit of fiddling with the window switch eventually got the glass to seat back correctly.

I think a washer/spray bottle of warm water or some de-icer might be in order tomorrow as this cold weather starts to kick in.
Jacktherat

Post by Jacktherat »

Last edited by Jacktherat on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard A
Options: SatNav, Winter Pack, Flat Tyre Indicator, Bi-Xenons

Post by Richard A »

Thankfully this thread alerted me to the wisdom of keeping a scraper and can of de-icer in the boot. However, (very) early on Monday morning there was a freeze after some overnight rain and it was a nasty one. Even after scraping and de-icing, the window wouldn't drop, so I had to gently prise open the door past the seals, then, faced with the impossibility of closing the door, I tried running a credit card along the window bottom seal to release the ice to enable it to drop under normal switch operation. For the rest of the journey I noticed that the window switch only operated in simple mode, i.e. move when switch lowered or raised, but not one-touch (I suppose that is some sort of safety thing). After the first complete drop and raise, one-touch operation was restored.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the window arrangement with the wrap around seals, it's not even totally immune to wind noise at high speed, so I'm wondering why VW didn't just use framed windows. It's not as if the car offers a full pillarless coupe capability (i.e. no B-pillar and lowering rear side windows).
Richard A
Options: SatNav, Winter Pack, Flat Tyre Indicator, Bi-Xenons

Post by Richard A »

Like the weather context specific forum header by the way!
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Slightly off the topic, if you have a passenger tilting mirror when reverse is selected, make sure it's de-iced. Set off in my S. this afternoon and watched it tilt through some clear ice on the bottom edge. Luckily it only hindered the moving mirror a little. Could have been worse and could have overloaded the mechanism.

(Remember to de-ice windows AND the passenger mirror completely for free movement!!!).

I use Rain-X on the windows all round including the windscreen. Each frost etc., then start with a scrapper and use VW's de-icer sparingly.

Just bought on Ebay, VW part number: G 052 172 A1 - Special Lubricant, specially developed for and used as VW EOS roof rubber lubricant.

So it might be the time to put a little on the windows and door seals. Every drop is liquid gold, about £35 at the dealers for 30ml, Ebay £15. Its a clear liquid like silicone. Application amounts need to be minimal - avoid temptation to overapply!

Its other name is Krytox and a lot of car makers offer it . It doesn't wash off easily like some silcone sprays. The oil is specially formulated to be slightly absorbed by the seals. This is what keeps them supple and moist. Without this, they will dry and creak and start to harden and leak over a period of time. But here, also repels water so the gripping ice at the top of the window in principle shouldn't occur. And stop any window seal "squeaks" into the bargain.

C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RW1 on Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

definitely a good point about the tilting mirrors & ice Chris aftersales at my dealer were telling me yesterday they would be millionaires if they had a pound for every person who has tried to wipe their screen when the wipers are frozen solid & have blown the fuse so i'm sure this would do it too.

S
alanstead
Options: Dynaudio, Parking sensors, Bi xenon, Electric folding mirrors, Cruise control, Winter pack, Flat tyre indicator, Mudflaps, Rubber mats, Boot liner, LED sidelights, Upgrade cornering bulbs, LED interior lighting, Upgrade DRL's, Premium sill trims, Alloy pedals, RNS510, Rearview camera, Bluetooth.

Post by alanstead »

I just leave the mirror switch on the drivers side if I'm worried about ice, less hassle than spraying de icer on it then worrying about the paint being damaged by the de icer.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

alanstead wrote:I just leave the mirror switch on the drivers side if I'm worried about ice, less hassle than spraying de icer on it then worrying about the paint being damaged by the de icer.
Done that tonight but forgot this afternoon - doh!! :roll:

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Jacktherat

Post by Jacktherat »

Last edited by Jacktherat on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kev
Administrator
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced now by an F-Type.

Post by Kev »

Grrr these frameless doors are getting on my wick :)

Didn't notice the ice on the side of the car this morning. From the angle I approach at the rear was fine so i unlocked the car as I walked up to it but the window couldn't drop as it was frozen up. It then seems to get its knickers in a twist about where the window is. Got some warm water and managed to free it up but when I shut the door again the window was sitting an inch too low. Fifteen minutes and an awful lot of locking and unlocking and button pressing I finally managed to get it to close up properly.

Need to try and work out what the process is to 'reset' the window position.