Rattly Windscreen

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Malcolm
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Satnav
Leather
Reversing Sensors
Folding Mirrors
Cruise control
Carkit
CD Changer (Dumb Choice!)
K&N Filter Replacement
Pentagon Supaglass
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.3 19" Matt Black

Rattly Windscreen

Post by Malcolm »

Anyone had an issue with a rattlywindscreen as the temp drops? Reckon is the awful plastic trim under the screen but local dealer wants to rip dashboard out!!!!
http://www.chemtec.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Karcher-Center-Chemtec for all your Karcher Cleaning Equipment Needs!
0845-890 3600 #1
adamj
In: Pewter Grey
With a: Manual box
Options: Metallic paint,mats, prem sills, Merlin Cloth, Hatchbag and a nice stone chip on the bonnet.

Re: Rattly Windscreen

Post by adamj »

My drivers side wiper rattles on the windscreen, could be that?

You can tell its the wiper as the rattle stops as the wiper is moving. Also when the car is stopped if your knock the windscreen with the side of your hand above the wiper you can here the rattle clearly comming from the wipers. Its really annoying me!!

Don't let them rip the dash out, I am sure that will just introduce more rattles.....
Malcolm
Leather
Reversing Sensors
Folding Mirrors
Cruise control
Carkit
K&N Filter Replacement
Pentagon Supaglass

Post by Malcolm »

I'll try some gaffer tape, only happens as temp drops so must be rubber hardening on blades.
Haven't let them loose of interiror yet, sure its something daft outside, I use rainex anyway so hardly use wipers which prob doesn't help.
0845-890 3600 #1
silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

It's not the rubber on the windscreen wipers. It is the wipers themselves.
VW will fix it but but the result is normally that you will get the annoying smear right in your line of site on the drivers side of the screen.
Trust me . The rattle is nothing compared to the smear !! :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:
I really wished i had not bothered now. Time to take it back AGAIN.
Just turn the stereo up :D
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!
Andy-GTI
Options: R

Post by Andy-GTI »

It is the plastic scuttle panel that rattles (the panel that covers the strut tops, and the wiper linkage). VW know about it, the fix is to use the felt tape on the scuttle edge to stop it rattling.
Malcolm
Leather
Reversing Sensors
Folding Mirrors
Cruise control
Carkit
K&N Filter Replacement
Pentagon Supaglass

Post by Malcolm »

Thrown back at VW Citygate and they still reckon no info at VW, want to road test it. Have said happy to try your suggestion before ripping dash out...... over my dead body!
0845-890 3600 #1
Andy-GTI
Options: R

Post by Andy-GTI »

Fix it yourself.

Either get some felt strip from VW, or use the soft side of some adhesive backed velcro.
andres
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: DCC, brown leather..

Post by andres »

This was a solution for me... inserted a piece of foam under the plastic cover under the bonnet.. fixed it.. the plastic rattles when in contact with the metal.

http://picasaweb.google.si/andrej.kirm/ ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hope this helps!
Malcolm
Leather
Reversing Sensors
Folding Mirrors
Cruise control
Carkit
K&N Filter Replacement
Pentagon Supaglass

Post by Malcolm »

Appreciate the pics! I'm using the van this week, will dig it out from under its cover at the weekend and have a play.....
0845-890 3600 #1
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Decided to investigate this problem today. Although I didn't have the problem (yet!), what I found was mine was close to doing it.

So what's causing it? The scuttle cover is contacting the inner wing bodywork suspension turret area. See first photo, contact points are the red arrows. It can happen on both sides of the car but it seems the driver's side skuttle panel covering the wiper motor is much closer to the inner wing.

This is how I fixed it. Take the rubber skuttle/engine bay seal aside. Lift the skuttle panel. You will see the skuttle panel has a right angled (90') edge. It is this edge that contacts the bodywork. Cut a small piece of Velcro felt pad and stick it in th earea where the skuttle panel contacts the inner wing suspension turret bodywork.

(My photo shows a piece of anti-squeak tape under the velcro pad in the event if the pad wears through to protect the paint, not absolutely necessary.)

C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
adamj
Options: Metallic paint,mats, prem sills, Merlin Cloth, Hatchbag and a nice stone chip on the bonnet.

Post by adamj »

I have padded mine out as above and even pushed foam right up to where it meets the windscreen as I could hear the plastic rattle on the metal when I tapped it, I was convinced that was the cause, but...........

Still rattling! I am now convinced its the drivers wiper rattling on the windscreen as the rattle stops when the wipers are on and starts as soon as they come to rest.....

I am sure its related to the smear and I am sure its getting worse! Not sure what to do - new wiperblade??
Malcolm
Leather
Reversing Sensors
Folding Mirrors
Cruise control
Carkit
K&N Filter Replacement
Pentagon Supaglass

Post by Malcolm »

Rainex and tape the wipers down!! On a serious note I've used rainx for around 20 years and just swear by it, reapplying monthly.
Luckily I've had no smears, just wondering what you guys who get smears are washing vehicle with? The shampoo I use has a water softner in it plus the rainx means there is very little drag on the glass, with hard water and no rinse aid (which itself can smear as its fatty acid)
You may create friction, drag and smear......... Just thoughts.
I've forwarded above to my local dealer who are still not admiting to VW knowing about it! Madness, 3 people is enough let alone several hundred that must be in same boat.
Also do you use a synthetic chamois or oiled leather skin?
0845-890 3600 #1
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

adamj wrote:I am sure its related to the smear and I am sure its getting worse! Not sure what to do - new wiperblade??
Adam,
From your early posts on here, can't exactly establish the build week of your Scirocco but at Wk43 they have fitted to my Scirocco the latest standard "E" version of the wipers, so a new one from the dealer is only the same.

Posted here on this matter tonight.
http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 5&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malcolm wrote:On a serious note I've used Rainx for around 20 years and just swear by it, reapplying monthly.
Same – 20 years, and is on the Scirocco at the moment with no problems.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
adamj

Post by adamj »

Adam,
From your early posts on here, can't exactly establish the build week of your Scirocco but at Wk43 they have fitted to my Scirocco the latest standard "E" version of the wipers, so a new one from the dealer is only the same.
Hi,
Not sure on a build week, but mine is one of the first Scirocco's - it was registered in Nov 08 so it has the first wiper type (but dealer did replace the drivers blade in Dec 08)

So it maybe worth me trying a Jetta wiper or an aftermarket one:

http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/vw-scirocc ... 8&Ref=prod" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if this will solve my issues though, apprecite your thoughts.
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Ah, had thought your Scirocco was this year (2009), not last, so it won't have the "E" version (Jetta version) of wipers. Note above what my local Parts Dept received from VW UK. Will post hopefully later today how I get on. They are a very helpfull bunch and didn't hesitate on Wednesday to order another one for this morning.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Malcolm
Leather
Reversing Sensors
Folding Mirrors
Cruise control
Carkit
K&N Filter Replacement
Pentagon Supaglass

Post by Malcolm »

Supposedly this all sorted very much with your help and excellent pics - thankyou! There is info on VW database they just hadn't looked properly. - beleave the felt has a part number but I got no paperwork on collection.
0845-890 3600 #1
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

:yes:

Believe the felt will most likely be VW part number 533 867 910A from Mk2 Sciroccos. Seems to find it's way onto a lot of VW's since squeaks and rattle points identified in production assembly. The pad version appears to have gone obsolete, so it's just a matter of cutting the tape version to size.

They won't list the part number cos it comes in 8.80m rolls and units of 25 off, so a tad much in cost and quantity for you and me! Best to blag some when one is in the dealers.

The individual use solution is to use black Velcro "fur" side tape or pads.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
archebald23
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Shadow Blue

Post by archebald23 »

im considering getting after market body parts myself, the parts quoted from my vw dealer are too expensive. do you think i can get the "E" version from aftermarket shops?
VW TT
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Leather, Phone Prep, Bluefin, Winter Pack, K&N kit, flux bulbs, LED interior bulbs, kw v1 coilovers, LED DRL's, Focal 165 speakers, 19" VMR V710 gunmetal

Post by VW TT »

old post now I think but for what its worth I have had this rattle, so checked out the guide above and went to fit some felt strip, only to find there is already a foam pad in place on both sides. But I still have a rattle. Definately goes when the wipers are in motion. I did tell them when I took it for a service a few weeks back, but they said they couldn't find the fault. Maybe they stuck the pads on? Either way the rattle is still there and still annoying. Has anyone found a fix cause the pads definately don't work.
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

When I did mine above, I did it as a precaution. Not until afterwards did I realise I had a slight rattle noise by its' absence!

I found where to put the pad (passenger side was/is OK) by gentlely tapping the plastic cover panel and listening to see if it impacted the bodywork. Where I placed the little Velcro felt pad in the photo above, a distinct contact with the bodywork could be heard. After fitting it wasn't apparent, just a dull thud.

Maybe worthwhile just tapping the whole panel and seeing if it still is able to contact the bodywork somewhere. The other contact point I've noticed is the verical end face edge onto the top of the driver's side outer wing.

If not these, and nothing else found by tapping, then you know the panel isn't the source.

There was a rattle problem with early Sciroccos which VW had issued a fixing kit. Page 4 on here posts about it. It was also a known issue in Germany on early Sciroccos. This "I think" is the felt "fix" they have applied to yours. The comment I'd make is that I tried foam and it didn't stop it, nor did cloth tape or felt when I investigated mine. I ended up with the Velcro pad on top of a piece of anti-squeak tape as that deaden the contacting altogether.

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... een+rattle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!