Wiper Blades (sorry)

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
ayeaye
Options: Candy White Scirocco - August 2009 - March 2013
Now replaced with a MINI Cooper S

Wiper Blades (sorry)

Post by ayeaye »

Given the weather we've had up here recently, took the car down to the dealer today to see what could be done about my wiper blades.

I know there's been a lot of discussions both here and on Net about wipers but I'm not sure if I've got the normal smear problem - basically what's happening with mine is on the driver side up and down sweeps, a patch (full length of the blade almost and maybe 0.5cm thick) is being left on the windscreen which is exactly where the passenger side blade stops on it's upsweep. It's almost like it is grease on the screen - if the car has been left out in the rain for a while, the windscreen is wet and you see two lines on the screen - one on the side vertical where the drivers side blade finishes its upsweep, and then one at an angle just in left eye line where the passenger side blade finishes its upsweep.

I've tried cleaning with Autoglym glass polish and also Meths and newspaper method but nothing wants to shift it. Tried several sets of new blades too but no joy.

According to the dealer, this isn't the normal smear problem which is more on the downsweep on driver side and a patch of water is left on the windscreen.

Is what I'm getting the normal smear issue or is it something different, and if it's different then anyone got any suggestions? Been like this since day 1 and I thought it was just greasy and would clear but it's not getting worse or better.
alanstead
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Dynaudio, Parking sensors, Bi xenon, Electric folding mirrors, Cruise control, Winter pack, Flat tyre indicator, Mudflaps, Rubber mats, Boot liner, LED sidelights, Upgrade cornering bulbs, LED interior lighting, Upgrade DRL's, Premium sill trims, Alloy pedals, RNS510, Rearview camera, Bluetooth.

Re: Wiper Blades (sorry)

Post by alanstead »

Snap. Exactly what I get too. I've tried glass cleaner, vinegar, neat window scoosh, all sorts, and also a new set of blades, nothing will shift the mark on the screen. I think its improving, but then maybe just getting used to squinting through it all the time!! If you get a result from the dealer let us know, I cant get to my dealers till mid November, so see what they say then. Its like wax was on the blade and its dumped it off there or something.

alan.
ayeaye
Options: Candy White Scirocco - August 2009 - March 2013
Now replaced with a MINI Cooper S

Post by ayeaye »

The only thing the dealer suggested was contacting VW Customer Services and see what they say - they can then get involved if I have no luck with Customer Services.

To be honest, where it's leaving the mark is a safety issue in heavy rain. At least if the wipers are on intermittent it will disappear in a second or two, but the wipers on constant then it doesn't have time to disappear. If it was on the passenger side out of sight wouldn't be an issue, but as it's just on the eye line and distracting in traffic I think the safety card needs to be played with CS to get them to move.

At least there's some sort of precedent on this that someone's had their windscreen replaced to cure a smear (whether this one or the other the dealer thinks is the common issue) as I think that's the next step since blades have been changed several times already and other stuff people have had done have made little difference.
alanstead
Options: Dynaudio, Parking sensors, Bi xenon, Electric folding mirrors, Cruise control, Winter pack, Flat tyre indicator, Mudflaps, Rubber mats, Boot liner, LED sidelights, Upgrade cornering bulbs, LED interior lighting, Upgrade DRL's, Premium sill trims, Alloy pedals, RNS510, Rearview camera, Bluetooth.

Post by alanstead »

Stuff that, I'm going straight for the dealers throat, I bought it from them, they can fix it, they can phone VW if they want to. Think how much money the robbing sods take from you, then when theres a prob, its not there prob! Typical. After care, aint it great! I'm playing the safety issue too, it is dangerous as you know cos its right in your line of sight. Always good when someone else has exactly the same prob as you, cos up till that you're always thinking is it something I've done!! And looking at the forecast, its going to be a pain this week. :grumpy:

Alan
adamj
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Metallic paint,mats, prem sills, Merlin Cloth, Hatchbag and a nice stone chip on the bonnet.

Post by adamj »

Mine is the same, I think its a safety issue.

Its going in for its first service next week, when I meantioned the windscreen smear which I want lookling they said they had never heard about it before but would take a look.....

Not holding out much hope!!

I have had the wiper blade replaced but it made no difference. Also does anyone get a rattling noise from the front end which goes away when the car has been moving for a while? Mine does this and I am sure I remember seeing a post on here about it and it was concluded to be the wiper rattling on the window.
alanstead

Post by alanstead »

I have read somewhere about the noise you mention, and it was something to do withe wipers, but mine doesnt do this, YET!!
scottyroc
I drive a: Scirocco R
With a: DSG box
Options: dynaudio 510/leather/heated seats/winterpack/parking sensors/19s/Apr remap

Post by scottyroc »

yup, i suffer from the dreaded smear too, it seems to me that the wiper, for some reason doesn't make contact quite right in that area, someone, somewhere mentioned that their dealer put a stronger spring in the wiper arm, therefore giving the wiper more pressure on the screen and hey presto..sorted, where as others (kianok) have had their screens replaced and are now not suffering.

My dealer was happy to help and had told me, next time i want the car washing, bring it in, they'll look at the issue then give the car a free wash...sweet

I must agree, this is a definite safety issue, i wasn't to bothered by it at first but now the weather is closing in and lights of oncoming vehicle are on more, its really distracting and dangerous..
R
jc74
Options: Cruise Control, Leather, Sunroof, DVD Satnav, Parking Sensors

Post by jc74 »

scottyroc wrote:...their dealer put a stronger spring in the wiper arm, therefore giving the wiper more pressure on the screen and hey presto..sorted..
Does anyone know whether it's simply possible to adjust the wiper pressure? If so how? I'd love to be able to just sort it out without have to give the car to the dealers (and having lots of miles piled on).

Otherwise wipers.co.uk, though they don't sound perfect either :(
scottyroc
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: dynaudio 510/leather/heated seats/winterpack/parking sensors/19s/Apr remap

Post by scottyroc »

i dont think so pal, would assume it would be a higher tension spring, but i await to be corrected...
R
jc74
Options: Cruise Control, Leather, Sunroof, DVD Satnav, Parking Sensors

Post by jc74 »

scottyroc wrote:i dont think so pal, would assume it would be a higher tension spring, but i await to be corrected...
That's a shame, I think I'll wait a bit longer and see if the higher tension spring actually fixes it in the long term though. :shrug:

Mine's getting quite annoying now...
regandjuk
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Sumatra
Options: dynaudio, leather, mirrors, electric seat, tyre pressure gauge

Post by regandjuk »

Picked mine up on the 17th and I've got this smear as well.....it's weird, it's not there on the passenger side upstroke but becomes visible on the passenger/ driver downstroke. The car is going back to the dealer as they kindly omitted to fit an A pillar clip when building it so this will be getting looked at as well!
17th October - Now it's finally mine :) :) :)
woodward182
In: Candy White
Options: Leather, 35mm H&R, AMD Remap

Post by woodward182 »

my car went back to the dealer 4 times with no joy but i finally sorted it myself.

You just need to take the blade off and bend it round in a circle, going with the existing bend. start off lightly bending it, test it and bend it more if it doesnt sort it. Just be careful not to kink the blade.

The reason this works is because the centre of the blade is under to much pressure on the downward sweep and causes the blade to lay flat.
silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

alanstead wrote:I have read somewhere about the noise you mention, and it was something to do withe wipers, but mine doesnt do this, YET!!
Mine had the rattle but no smearing. It has had the rattle fixed :yes: But now as a result of the rattle fix has the smear :grumpy:
I have now seen both sides of the problem and the rattle is certainly less of an issue to put up with until they find a proper fix to the problem.
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!
Crafty
Options: Parking sensors, black leather, sat/nav, blue fin

Post by Crafty »

had my wiper arms replaced last week and so far no smear
Rising Blue 2L petrol, SatNav, Rear sensors, black leather, mats, de-badged, Bluefin, smokers pack, covered drinks holder, pipercoss filter,Neuspeed torque arm insert, smoked back lights, vag-com
silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

Crafty wrote:had my wiper arms replaced last week and so far no smear
Wait a week or so. mine were fine for a couple of weeks then driving back from Devon last weekend... :cry:
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!
badben16
In: Deep Black
Options: deep black paint, panaramic sun roof, Dynaudio amplifier 300w, Bi-xenon headlights, De-badged, Black Viena Leather

Post by badben16 »

mines brand new raind the day i picked it up got the same problem not had time to investigate now i wont bother just going to moan at vw as i nearly crashed on the maiden voyage due to rubbish visibility
tony4147
In: Salsa Red
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS510 SatNav/BT, Leather, Rear Parking Sensors, Factory Mats

Post by tony4147 »

My dealer is fitting some new designed wiper blades on Wednesday, will let you know how I get on.
robmx
Options: Winter Pack, Cruise Control, Parking Sensors.

Post by robmx »

I've clay barred my windscreen a couple of times and that has helped loads. I think a lot of the problems mentioned aren't down to the wipers but the finish of the screen. Mine felt a little rough even tho it's been on the road since feb (not in my ownership until oct). After claying it, it's as smooth as well, a smooth thing and the wipers work pretty well now.
lennytwo
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: winter pack. tyre monitor

Post by lennytwo »

I had same smear problem, saw somewhere to get jetta wipers, got them for nothing from dealer under warranty....they look identical to me so don't know if they are jetta wipers or not.....part numbers are 1K8955425E & 1K8955426E if anyone can check..i couldn't find the part number online..work perfectly now, no smearing any more....
Last edited by lennytwo on Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bigjack
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: Optical Parking System, Sat Nav, Lux mats & Door sills.

Post by Bigjack »

I had car in for its first service yesterday and complained about smear on windscreen and they changed wiper blades (free),don't know what type they were but there is only a very slight line now where before there was a wide smear. I will let you know if it gets worse over time.