Should i change to 170

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
rocafella
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: pearl deep black,folding mirrors,flat tyre indicator,parking sensors, ss pedals.

Should i change to 170

Post by rocafella »

Hi all
Just would like some peoples opinions on if i should change my order. I've ordered the GT 140 and have test drove it and liked it but did not test the 170, i know there are mixed reviews on the 140 but would like some input from 140 owners and 170 owners. My order was placed a couple of weeks ago, i have not been given a build date but expecting it in feb (ish). Also i've heard rumours that the 2010my can not be remapped.. Is this true?

Sorry if this has been brought up before on another post.

Cheers
ashley1407
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
Options: Cruise Control, Metallic Paint, Fiscon Bluetooth, Bleep on locking.

Revo Remap.

Re: Should i change to 170

Post by ashley1407 »

Don't know about the remapping, but I've test driven both the 140 and the 170 and there was very little difference between them. I can't remember the cost difference off the top of my head but I don't think the difference would be enough to justify it.
rocafella
Options: pearl deep black,folding mirrors,flat tyre indicator,parking sensors, ss pedals.

Post by rocafella »

Thanks
From what i've read the difference is mainly more pulling power in sixth with things like overtaking .Im already over budget so seems daft to go spend some more i suppose.

Any more comments welcome!
redmeat

Post by redmeat »

rocafella wrote:Thanks
From what i've read the difference is mainly more pulling power in sixth with things like overtaking .Im already over budget so seems daft to go spend some more i suppose.

Any more comments welcome!
Mine's only just run in and even now I'm well happy with my 140. The 170 would have been nice but another grand? Nah.
Plenty quick enough in most conditions and if you fancy a bit more, get it remapped for a lot less than £1k.
peter.vw
Options: Reversing aid, Paneramic glass roof, Folding mirrors, Tire flat indicator, mats, Smokers pack

Post by peter.vw »

HI i have the 170 and i test drove the 140, i turned down the 140 option because of lack of pulling power up the top end.
Drove the Golf GTD 170 as the 170 Sirocco had not gone into production (june 09) and was pleased with the extra power.
The 170 is much better but its more money but i think its worth it. i dont know if its just a case of a remap think there's a bit more to it.
Have you seen the top gear artical on the 140?
rocafella

Post by rocafella »

I have not seen that, do you have the link :)
peter.vw
Options: Reversing aid, Paneramic glass roof, Folding mirrors, Tire flat indicator, mats, Smokers pack

Post by peter.vw »

rocafella wrote:I have not seen that, do you have the link :)
Hi have a look at this, " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a send up for VW but it highlights the problem with the 140, the 170 has addressed this, but if you want roar power go for the TSI
Evil Derboy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Leather • Nav

Post by Evil Derboy »

In my humble opinion 140BHP is way to weedy for a car like the Scirocco but it depends on what you're looking for out of the car. If you have 140BHP and are happy then fair do's but if I was in your position I would be working out what the extra cost does to my monthly payments before deciding if I can afford it or not. That's what it really comes down to. If money was no object in terms of your monthly payments but you wanted a diesel why would you want a 140 over a 170?
peter.vw

Post by peter.vw »

Evil Derboy wrote:In my humble opinion 140BHP is way to weedy for a car like the Scirocco but it depends on what you're looking for out of the car. If you have 140BHP and are happy then fair do's but if I was in your position I would be working out what the extra cost does to my monthly payments before deciding if I can afford it or not. That's what it really comes down to. If money was no object in terms of your monthly payments but you wanted a diesel why would you want a 140 over a 170?

Well put Derboy i think with the Engines that are available there is something for every pocket and need. From the 1.4 tsi to the 2lt tsi and the TDI range 140 170 think the 140 is ok if you’re a sales man and do a lot of mileage if you want that extra kick go for the 170.
Think VW wanted to clear stock of the 140 so made it the only diesel option, the 170 have been available for some time (the Audi TT and the Seat I believe) so the 140 must have been a deliberate move to move stock.
Cant understand the logic of offering a less powerful engine only to attract the kind of adverse publicity like that done by Topgear
peter.vw

Post by peter.vw »

rocafella wrote:I have not seen that, do you have the link :)

Try this link on this forum it may help you
http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... f=2&t=2201" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rocafella

Post by rocafella »

Thanks for the links
Mixed reviews really.
The 170 was my first choice at the dealers but i added leather wich really took me up to budget.
Im now very close to ditching the leather for the 170. Just cant decide :? ....Leather .....more power... :(
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

power as 170 is always going to be the more desirable of the two
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
jc74
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Pewter Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Cruise Control, Leather, Sunroof, DVD Satnav, Parking Sensors

Post by jc74 »

rocafella wrote:Thanks for the links
Mixed reviews really.
The 170 was my first choice at the dealers but i added leather wich really took me up to budget.
Im now very close to ditching the leather for the 170. Just cant decide :? ....Leather .....more power... :(
Unless you never want more power than the 140, I'd go for the 170. Can always get leather retrofitted later...
(Yes you could get a remap, but I found insurance companies don't want to know)
peter.vw

Post by peter.vw »

rocafella wrote:Thanks for the links
Mixed reviews really.

Hi some were on this forum there is an artical on reupholstery and on there are a number of comments that VW leather is rubbish. if money is a factor go for cloth it looks good with its white stiching.
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

may I add that if you do go the route of dropping leather to get the 170 & are even remotely considering getting the seats leather trimmed at a later date it is an extremely wise thing to spec heated seats now in preparation for the leather later as you can't add the heated seats later to a car that didn't have them originally (not saying it is completely impossible but most likely will be ALOT of additional work & cost)
please consider this in your costings rocafella

S
rocafella

Post by rocafella »

Thanks guys
Power it is then!
Bit gutted about the leather but the cloth seats are still nice, i've emailed the dealer to recalculate some quotes, think he's had enough of me now, 'lol'
Would i be able to spec black headlining or is it pot luck?
Drigbyy2k
In: Viper Green
Options: Bi-xenon headlights... Flat tyre indicator... Winter pack... Door sills... Metal pedals... Aftermarket alloys...
Location: Highlands of Scotland (15miles south of John O'Groats)

Post by Drigbyy2k »

Sorry to kind of hi-jack this thread, but how does it work with the headlining as I have seen the inside of 2 scirocco's an 1 had grey/white and the other black?
rocafella

Post by rocafella »

Just out of interest,without being too nosey what are people paying a month for their roc,i understand if nobody replies :vibes:
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

SPOGSHD
In: Candy White
Options: Sunroof, 19" alloys, bluetooth, rear parking senses, folding mirrors, winter pack, Xenon lights, black leather seats, dynaudio.

Post by SPOGSHD »

rocafella wrote:Just out of interest,without being too nosey what are people paying a month for their roc,i understand if nobody replies :vibes:
Flowers, chocolate, cleaning, no football and no sex for six months, not bad aay.
Ordered 18th Aug, now confirmed for week 45
30th Oct, I'm at check point 4, half way through my build.
2nd Nov check point 5
5 Nov At Dockside
At the dealers Fri 20th Nov