AUX Issue

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
scirocco
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Scirocco number two ordered November 3rd 2010 (build week 5), Delivered April 2011
Cruise Control, Premium mats, Mudflaps...

AUX Issue

Post by scirocco »

Guys i've owned my Scirocco for nearly a year now and only experienced the following issue twice but its annoying when it happens:

The issue is that I am using a usb memory stick with the media in connection and for some reason it will fail to load any of the music contained on the stick and it wont work again until I restart my car.

Has anyone experienced anything similar. My first service will be due in a month, did I read there is a software update for the head unit?
Last edited by scirocco on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iAmbu
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Re: AUX Issue

Post by iAmbu »

How come you are using the AUX input, and not the USB cable input (in the centre armrest)?
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1
scirocco
Options: Scirocco number two ordered November 3rd 2010 (build week 5), Delivered April 2011

Post by scirocco »

I am using the USB connection in the armrest, updated the above post to correctly say Media In, you wouldnt think i'd had the car for nearly 1 year!
Last edited by scirocco on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iAmbu
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Post by iAmbu »

Ahh, you are probably correct, I pick my Scirocco up next week so I'm not used to it I must admit, thought you were plugged in to the AUX socket which is outside the armrest. Hope someone else can answer your question!
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1
ZephyR
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

Have you tried alternatives like disconnecting the memory stick and plugging it back in again or turning the radio off for few moments.
I guess as it happens so infrequently that its difficult to check various options or to tell if the USB stick is faulty.
scirocco

Post by scirocco »

Yeah tried all the above with no success! It takes a complete restart to solve the issue. I was more curious to know if others have experienced a similar issue.
nickp
In: Pewter Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Anthracite Leather, Dynaudio Soundpack, Park Sensor, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Smoking Pack,
Carpet Mats. GT Steering Wheel Badge, Metal Pedals, Pewter Arsenal Key Ring.

Post by nickp »

I've not used a memory stick only an iPod but mine seems to have developed a problem recently.
Each day when I start the car for the first time the head unit (RCD510) displays a sign telling me no media device is connected.
I then have to take the iPod out of the armrest and press the menu button to wake it up manually. It then registers on the head unit and continues playing from where it left off the previous day.
If I leave the car for a short while it still works ok when I return, but if it's left for a longer period (4-5 hours) or overnight no media device is detected again. Very odd.
It's been working fine for a few months since new but started this fault last week and has done it every day since.
By the way the iPod is an 80gb fifth gen with the latest software updates installed.
ZephyR
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

I get that No Media Connected message from cold with my USB stick but after a few seconds it does change to the Initialising media message and then plays OK. I trust that you are being sufficiently patient.

I had a strange one today. Got back in the car at the shops and started it up and noticed after a minute that although the radio / USB was playing the radio screen was completely black and unresponsive. Stopped, turned off the ignition and waited a minute. Restarted and everything was fine :shrug:
Herby44
Options: Parking sensors

Post by Herby44 »

scirocco wrote:Yeah tried all the above with no success! It takes a complete restart to solve the issue. I was more curious to know if others have experienced a similar issue.
I've had the same problem. A couple of times I've flicked over from radio to media during a journey and got the no media connected message.

Only a full restart has stopped the problem which is a bit annoying.
scirocco

Post by scirocco »

I see a post in the Tech Talk section refering to a software update to the RNS510 hopefully I will receive this update at my next service.

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... =25&t=2878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alanstead
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
Options: Dynaudio, Parking sensors, Bi xenon, Electric folding mirrors, Cruise control, Winter pack, Flat tyre indicator, Mudflaps, Rubber mats, Boot liner, LED sidelights, Upgrade cornering bulbs, LED interior lighting, Upgrade DRL's, Premium sill trims, Alloy pedals, RNS510, Rearview camera, Bluetooth.

Post by alanstead »

I was driving along tonight listening to my ipod touch which is connected through the ipod cable to my rcd510 and all of a sudden the radio came on and a message saying no media available. I poked about on the screen but it refused to work. I stopped and took the ipod out of the armrest and it was still charging but just wouldnt work through the rcd510. I unplugged it, reconnected, still no joy, turned off radio, turned off car, nothing would work, just said no media available. My ipod usually says accesory connected, but when this was happening it was just the normal screen. I got home fiddled some more, then left it hoping time would be a healer, but no. I eventually did factory reset on the radio and all is well again. Hope its gonna behave now.
nickp
Options: Anthracite Leather, Dynaudio Soundpack, Park Sensor, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Smoking Pack,

Post by nickp »

That's interesting alanstead.
Could you remind me how I do a factory reset on the RCD510.
I'll try it to see if cures my iPod recognition problem detailed a few posts back.
alanstead
Options: Dynaudio, Parking sensors, Bi xenon, Electric folding mirrors, Cruise control, Winter pack, Flat tyre indicator, Mudflaps, Rubber mats, Boot liner, LED sidelights, Upgrade cornering bulbs, LED interior lighting, Upgrade DRL's, Premium sill trims, Alloy pedals, RNS510, Rearview camera, Bluetooth.

Post by alanstead »

Hi Nick, Go into setup on the rcd510 and at the bottom of the menu it says factory reset on mine, i pushed it, the it asks if you def want to reset and say yes and the radio goes off, then comes back on with everything empty as such. You'll lose all your settings, so maybe worth noting them all first.

Alan. ps, mine behaved today, so hopefully just a one off glitch.
nickp

Post by nickp »

Thanks for that Alan :yes:
I'll try a re-set sometime over the next few days and will let you know how I get on.
regandjuk
In: Sumatra
Options: dynaudio, leather, mirrors, electric seat, tyre pressure gauge

Post by regandjuk »

I've seen elsewhere that the VW leads aren't great quality and tend to break internally and have a loose connnection after a lot of use, primarily due to the way they're curled up in the rest.....perhaps that's it?
17th October - Now it's finally mine :) :) :)
nickp

Post by nickp »

Cheers regandjuk, I've heard that too.
I've considered it but don't see how a broken cable could be causing my problem.
The iPod works well with the RCD510 in almost every respect....except when start the car for the first time each day. Only then does it not recognize any media is attached until I jump start the iPod.
I was wondering if it's something to do with the car battery maybe losing power overnight so it stops sending power to non essential devices. I've no other evidence of a week battery though. Car starts fine and I'm not getting any warning lights on the dash.
Anyway, I'll get round to trying that factory re-set of the RCD510 sometime.
alanstead

Post by alanstead »

Hi Nick, The ipod only seems to be powered when the ignition or radio are turned on, thats what mine does anyway, as soon as the keys out, the power symbol on the ipod goes out. My prob is once the rcd turns on the ipod it doesnt close it down when the cars off, so over night the ipod goes flat and then in the morning it takes a second to turn on and then starts playing the first song alphabetically and not what I was listening to previously. Believe this is a common prob tho. Every morning I look in the armrest and the ipod says "low battery". Bit hopeless really, everyone raves about what a great integration the VW's have and as far as I can see its pretty rubbish and riddled with issues!! :grumpy:
nickp

Post by nickp »

alanstead wrote:Hi Nick, The ipod only seems to be powered when the ignition or radio are turned on, thats what mine does anyway, as soon as the keys out, the power symbol on the ipod goes out. My prob is once the rcd turns on the ipod it doesnt close it down when the cars off, so over night the ipod goes flat and then in the morning it takes a second to turn on and then starts playing the first song alphabetically and not what I was listening to previously. Believe this is a common prob tho. Every morning I look in the armrest and the ipod says "low battery". Bit hopeless really, everyone raves about what a great integration the VW's have and as far as I can see its pretty rubbish and riddled with issues!! :grumpy:
Hmmm you have a slightly different problem to mine then.
When mine was working properly I never got a run down iPod battery and I still haven't had one. The iPod just needs a jump start by pushing the menu button each morning.
Did the RCD510 factory reset that you did cure the problem or is it back again?
Your problem sounds a bit more complicated than mine and if it's not cured then I'd say definitely bring the car back to your dealers.
A properly functioning sound system in the car is very important IMO and gawd knows you paid enough for it.
alanstead

Post by alanstead »

Hi Nick, aye, resetting has so far cured the prob when the radio disconnected from the ipod and then refused to reconnect. I'm off to the dealers tomorrow to have the horn looked at, the centre of the steering wheel doesnt want to push so you can sound the horn and it looks off centre too, There gonna have a look at that and I'll mention the ipod too. But most peoples , from what I've read on here dont turn off when you leave the car, so it runs flat through the day or night. I suppose if your doing long runs this wont be a prob, but a good few of my runs are quite short so the ipod doesnt get a full charge to keep it going.

Alan
nickp

Post by nickp »

alanstead wrote:I'm off to the dealers tomorrow to have the horn looked at, the centre of the steering wheel doesnt want to push so you can sound the horn and it looks off centre too, There gonna have a look at that and I'll mention the ipod too.
How did you get on Alan?
Did they sort your iPod problem?